Player Watch Harry DeMattia

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear what youre saying, but history also doesnt always agree with this assertion.

Take the 2008 draft for example... Dayne Beams wasn't even in the top 10 mids chosen, and turned out to be a gun. Whilst other highly rated mid hopefuls ended up as role players, or down back etc. Daniel Rich, Stephen Hill. Whilst others didnt even make it... Sam Blease, Tom Swift. Whilst Rory Sloane was even further down than Beams at pick 44.

Top 5 should be near on guaranteed, I agree... but players like Dow have also proven this to be flawed. Whilst other gun mids like Swan, Priddis and Kelly either go undrafted or are way down the list as hopefuls. Players slide due to potential / upside being so hard to judge at 17 years of age. & someone like Harry with limited footballing exposure and proof as a genuine midfielder was seemingly too much of a risk for most recruiters to take within the top 20. I really like his attributes tho, and like all of us, am hoping that he is a long term genuine mid, which likely places him in the top 10 players at the club for a long time to come
Are you telling me that the draft is a “lottery”?
Who would have thought that?

He seems to have Pendles/Nick attention to detail, so he won't die wondering.
He could potentially be a really good (or better) player for us.
Some good moves in there!
Go H!

Hard not to love him already. Certainly talks the talk. Looks like he was born for a professional AFL environment. Time will tell if he makes it, but it won’t be a poor attitude that cruels his career.

Hard not to love him already. Certainly talks the talk. Looks like he was born for a professional AFL environment. Time will tell if he makes it, but it won’t be a poor attitude that cruels his career.
Pretty sure we saw that attitude from the day he was drafted.
Would absolutely be one of the reasons were in to him from the start.

Got the “surreal” out of the way very early in the piece.
Don't bait me.

He forgot to tell us what was -- "obvious"...."obviously"

i) If it is that obvious, why do you need to say it?
ii) I can prob guarantee it's not obvious

The scourge of modern language.
Would you rather have the $200 mil tonight or $1 every time a reporter of sportsperson says "obviously" + "surreal"?
{You get double if it's not obvious or surreal}
I know what would make you more.

In Josh Fraser's words, "he has a lot of development ahead of him".

I'll be tempering my early expectations of H, but know he will work his butt off to bridge the gap between the levels of where he is now and where he has to get.

Don't bait me.

Would you rather have the $200 mil tonight or $1 every time a reporter of sportsperson says "obviously" + "surreal"?
Then there are words like "epic", "awesome" and the like, that are used in contexts that are anything but.

I'm just impressed that they now say "surreal" for a while I think most of them thought it was and were saying "so real".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then there are words like "epic", "awesome" and the like, that are used in contexts that are anything but.

Quite.

Why can’t people just stick to “grouse” and “unreal”?

Don't bait me.

If the 200 is in the bank tomorrow, I’m good.

I'm just impressed that they now say "surreal" for a while I think most of them thought it was and were saying "so real".

Derek Hine was rightfully slammed by the Richmond recruiters for drafting Jeff Buckley in the first round…

Don't bait me.

you've mispelt your nickname and have used a "c"....obviously it should be shupie in line with the correct spelling of our new recruit's name...lachie shultz

They left him a welcome present of a melted clock hung over a tree in the change rooms, so you can't blame him.

All part of Fly’s visualisation process for the 2024 season.

someone here said that they can’t stop seeing Harry’s surname as Dementia.
I got stuck on that.

But now I’ve read someone else calling him Whatsa

As in Whatsa dematter wit ya
(Apply Italian accent please)

I think we have a nickname conflict. Which wins?

I kinda like Whatsa.

someone here said that they can’t stop seeing Harry’s surname as Dementia.
I got stuck on that.

But now I’ve read someone else calling him Whatsa

As in Whatsa dematter wit ya
(Apply Italian accent please)

I think we have a nickname conflict. Which wins?

I kinda like Whatsa.
I’m going to call him Dementor when he’s playing well, and Harry Pothead when he stuffs up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back