Player Watch Harry DeMattia

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone Critical

What chance Harry could grow another 8cm the next 2 years and become a key defender?

Edit: sideswipe and I have been discussing the benefits of good nutrition and posture for late-teen height
Sidey did hit the oestrogen infused pollo after the 17th birthday . Some think thats the secret to his 5'7". Led him to imagine i didnt know what i was talking about. I have had a hard time changing that mindset.

Was a bit worried about this selection until I heard his interview on SEN. Some takeaways

1. Kid is an amazing leader and speaker. Never heard an 18yr old speak so well. Sounds like mcrae
2. He mentioned his fitness and accumulation as areas to work on. Has never done a proper pre-season due to his national cricket commitments and he was often thrown around a lot in games due to his versatility, and would do shut down roles or play up forward. Didn't play full-time mid often which speaks to some of his lower posession tallies.
3. Think he's gonna be a ripper, will get every ounce out of himself and do it with a smile on his face.

Pendles had ordinary overhead work when recruited- so can’t see this as a real issue to worry about for the kid.
Still does.

People saying he is going to be in the backline and learn from Maynard, are pretty silly.

The kid is a stoppage player, his craft is inside work, he has spoken at length about working on his stoppage/inside work/being in the right positions at stoppages/ bursting out of stoppages and his clear weakness is his vertical athleticism and over head work.

He is an inside mid, he does accumulate, people saying otherwise are blind.

That's not what Dekka said tonight.

People saying he is going to be in the backline and learn from Maynard, are pretty silly.

The kid is a stoppage player, his craft is inside work, he has spoken at length about working on his stoppage/inside work/being in the right positions at stoppages/ bursting out of stoppages and his clear weakness is his vertical athleticism and over head work.

He is an inside mid, he does accumulate, people saying otherwise are blind.

Just about all mids start in the backline and work on the defensive side of the game first, then transition to midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just about all mids start in the backline and work on the defensive side of the game first, then transition to midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pendles, Thomas, Beams, Swan, Sidebottom all started either in the forward line or straight into the midfield.

Sidey did hit the oestrogen infused pollo after the 17th birthday . Some think thats the secret to his 5'7". Led him to imagine i didnt know what i was talking about. I have had a hard time changing that mindset.

Hey dickhead - anyone taller than you doesn’t automatically top them out at at 5’7”. You’d need a couple of Melways and stronger calves to hit the dizzying altitude of 5’9”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So dekka said they see him starting out as a high back, then transiting into the midfield, maybe wing.

Dekka also said that the conversation was about Harry versus Jacob Ryan. …

… clearly he was referring to ‘To mo’ or ‘Not to mo’.

86B4BC68-5D1C-4A81-8D72-2DDC384355AB.jpeg

F4784F88-12DB-459F-B533-486C4ECD59AD.jpeg

He’s also talked about playing in defence and playing shut down roles. He could play a range of areas with his attributes, to pigeonhole him now is pretty silly.

He's a genuine mid sized utility.

Dominated in the midfield, played half back and even kicked 100 goals at local level in Under 16's.

I do know someone who knows the kid well through cricket (coach) and that was the feedback - amazing athlete (bowling 130 clicks at 16yo) but rates himself very highly (nice way of saying arrogant).

I don't see any issues with this as he'll grow up and I'm sure many said the same about Bucks at an early stage (and maybe even later lol). I'm happy with the pick and think he'll go well.

Our last figjam was pretty good

Didn't he play some forward before then?

Perhaps.

But the original statement was that most mids play in defence and work on that part of their game before moving into the midfield.

Swanny definitely did that.

So he was a poor example to contradict the original point

Perhaps.

But the original statement was that most mids play in defence and work on that part of their game before moving into the midfield.

Swanny definitely did that.

So he was a poor example to contradict the original point
Yep. Traditionally half forward has been a more common starting role, but these days it depends on the strengths of the player. Ball carriers start at half back, instinctual brilliant or explosive guys start at half forward and one paced accumulators have to wait until they're midfield ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back