Has Hamling improved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
G'day guys, been really happy with Joel Hamling since he has joined the club. Tall 3rd defender type, good mark and spoil on him, very quick and good disposal.

Just wondering why he could never get a run with you guys and to that point why he was delisted? Is it that he has improved a lot over the off - season, new environment, more opportunity, combination. Or there is also the chance my Doggies glasses are on and I'm criminally over rating what he's done with us so far.

Love to hear your thoughts on him.

Cheers

I wasn't happy to see him let go, played some good games in the VFL and I thought probably should have had some opportunities at AFL level although in saying that our backline has been fairly solid and hard to crack into.
I do however think C.Scott has been too inflexible regarding the backline and should have given some youngsters more of a go in the last few years, even if it was only for a few games.

I for one had reservations on whether or not he'd make it, I thought his weight might be an issue. I've watched his last few games and so far he's proving me wrong... playing well in the Doggies defense with his closing speed and ability to spoil.

Just wondering why he could never get a run with you guys and to that point why he was delisted?
Simple - Rivers,Taylor,Lonergan & Mackie [he can play tall] were all ahead of him and he'd been at the club for 3-4 years.Go somewhere else and he may get an AFL chance and he has.

It doesn't quite explain why he wasn't given one single game though. Slightly different argument.

That's the thing I couldn't quite get and was wondering whether he has just shown rapid improvement or if there was some other reason (bad relationship with coach, etc). Would think that you would at least give him a debut game.

Saw several of his VFL games and he was far from shabby. Thought he had a future with us and was sorry to see him leave. Thought his frame was the only issue, but with Mackie as an example, thought he would find his niche.

Seems he has at the kennel and doing to well. Have said at the time, and recently, this may not be our best move in terms of cutting players.

Best to him.

Go Catters

Like a few here have said, it's a bit weird how he didn't get a senior game or to in order to see what he'd be like as an option, i think he came to the Cats in 2011 as pick 32, and i think that wound up being our top pick for that year's compromised draft after being Premiers that season. It's very rare indeed for Geelong to move someone on after three years of development as an untried commodity.

Naturally (and like the Dogs themselves after 2010/2011 with your own class of '99 plus Johnson, Smith, Grant, Hall etc) we have had to manage a large core pf players all reaching the end of their careers at a similar time. The Dogs have pulled some brilliant drafting recently with Stringer, Bontempelli, McCrae and with FS picks Liberatore and Wallis you're already rising up again. By sad contrast last season saw Geelong expunge a fair few of that early-mid 20's group that we so demonstrably lack on our list now, with Mitch Brown, Hamling, Christensen, Varcoe and Burbury all being traded/delisted. All 26 and under, all with a few years in Geelong's system. It's a demographic hollowing out that may take a bit to work through our system, our stock of 24-27 y/o players is remarkably empty, and that's the area where you want a lot of your list to be at one time.

Simple - Rivers,Taylor,Lonergan & Mackie [he can play tall] were all ahead of him and he'd been at the club for 3-4 years.Go somewhere else and he may get an AFL chance and he has.
So why did we recruit Delaney?

It doesn't quite explain why he wasn't given one single game though. Slightly different argument.
Do we see Jansen travelling up the highway to Footscray later this year? He would need to at least make a debut this year given our season/list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day guys, been really happy with Joel Hamling since he has joined the club. Tall 3rd defender type, good mark and spoil on him, very quick and good disposal.

Just wondering why he could never get a run with you guys and to that point why he was delisted? Is it that he has improved a lot over the off - season, new environment, more opportunity, combination. Or there is also the chance my Doggies glasses are on and I'm criminally over rating what he's done with us so far.

Love to hear your thoughts on him.

Cheers
Great question.
Many of us were bemused he'd not been given a single game given his potential.
Improvement is inevitable.
Hope he goes on to have a great career with the ultimate reward.
While speaking about young pups with potential, I have been watching Honeychurch with interest.
Injured, now can't get back in?
He is very tenacious and skilled. Your thoughts?

Yep that's a fair point. It's only his second year at the club, but you'd hope for a debut at some point.

there must be something or a box not being ticked on the coaching side. I thought he was close then got hurt, and now he's back. Needs a run.

Go Catters

That's the thing I couldn't quite get and was wondering whether he has just shown rapid improvement or if there was some other reason (bad relationship with coach, etc). Would think that you would at least give him a debut game.
There was a lot of competition for his spot, and Mitch Brown plays a similar role and was delisted too; Rivers , Mackie, Lonergan, Taylor all played most games last year with effect.
Perhaps it was purely a needs basis, and he has greater opportunities at Footscray to show his worth. I very much doubt there was any relationship issue. Hamling, from all reports is a quality person, something Scott values highly. Kolo is in a similar position to Hamling as a player and they may have seen slightly more upside there due to the body development.

Great question.
Many of us were bemused he'd not been given a single game given his potential.
Improvement is inevitable.
Hope he goes on to have a great career with the ultimate reward.
While speaking about young pups with potential, I have been watching Honeychurch with interest.
Injured, now can't get back in?
He is very tenacious and skilled. Your thoughts?

Agree with tenacious, but his skill level lets him down. He is a good little player and puts in everything he has when on the park but for the small man forward position he is not quick and he does not finish well enough at the moment.

He actually might be better suited to an inside mid position IMO, but we are pretty well stocked with those types.

His tackling pressure is immense and it is something we have been lacking a bit in the last couple of weeks, so he is a good chance for an upgrade shortly. Definitely a player that brings energy to the group.

I'm on a train to Sandringham at the moment for the Footscray game, will let you know how he fares.

Being behind HT,Domsy, Riv, Mackie - in a group that was really pretty reliable week to week, perhaps the queue was just too long.

GO Catter

Agree with tenacious, but his skill level lets him down. He is a good little player and puts in everything he has when on the park but for the small man forward position he is not quick and he does not finish well enough at the moment.

He actually might be better suited to an inside mid position IMO, but we are pretty well stocked with those types.

His tackling pressure is immense and it is something we have been lacking a bit in the last couple of weeks, so he is a good chance for an upgrade shortly. Definitely a player that brings energy to the group.

I'm on a train to Sandringham at the moment for the Footscray game, will let you know how he fares.
I did some work at Eastern Ranges and he was a standout player, even at age 15! Skill never the issue. He was victim of his body not coping with his mind at times.

I did some work at Eastern Ranges and he was a standout player, even at age 15! Skill never the issue. He was victim of his body not coping with his mind at times.

Yeh he just doesn't finish off his work with kicking goals, even at VFL level it is really frustrating actually. Any way you look at it he was a steal at 62, you would've enjoyed seeing him get a RS nom in round 1 then?

Edit: Round 2 nom against the Tiggies.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back