Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
If he refuses a Hawks contract does he end up a delisted free agent? Or can you only be delisted if the club doesnt offer a contract?

We let Hodge and Birch go with little fuss. Why would we do it with Gunston ?
The de-listed part doesn't kick in until the end of October (from memory), after the Free Agent + Trade Period.

Not sure of the ability to sign delisted Free Agents; being those that are UFA & refuse contracts, in say November, or whether they'd have to wait & sign him via the SSD (or whatever it's called).

Fine, let them sign him as a FA then.

But they don't want that as it'll dilute their McStay compo.

So, if they want to trade for a player that we seemingly want to keep, why should they dictate terms?

We shouldn't be dickheads about it, but we sure as s**t shouldn't lose out of it. There's easily a win/win to be gained here - why you lot want to 'roll over' on this one is beyond me...
No one wants it, i personally hate it. But if Gunston a 3 time premiership player wants to get to the Lions we will facilitate it.

We get nothing if he leaves as a FA or a trade. It is why we need to do everything we can to keep him. I am happy to 'overpay'.

We have the cap space we might as well, i am sick of seeing all our club legends retire in other colours. This would hurt more because he has good footy left in him.

No one wants it, i personally hate it. But if Gunston a 3 time premiership player wants to get to the Lions we will facilitate it.

We get nothing if he leaves as a FA or a trade. It is why we need to do everything we can to keep him. I am happy to 'overpay'.

We have the cap space we might as well, i am sick of seeing all our club legends retire in other colours. This would hurt more because he has good footy left in him.
I'm happy (see: relatively comfortable) that we 'over-pay' or offer an 'extra year' that wouldn't otherwise be wise.

The concept that we "get nothing if he leaves via trade" is a construct of this board, only.

The objective of any negotiation should be to give the other party what they want, on our terms.

There's no reason at all that we should not facilitate the trade of Gunston to Brisbane (if that's what he wants), but it's ridiculous to suggest that facilitating this trade should not be on our terms*.

*'Our terms' does not suggest a 1-sided deal; it suggests a deal that suits our needs as well as Brisbane's, which a 'Future 4th' does not...

Dees rate this Van Rooyen kid which might mean Gunston doesn’t get a look in there
I think they are raising the prospect that they will not pay through the nose for Grundy and have a backup. It's a negotiation ploy I think more than the kid being good. If he was he would have played given the struggling forward line.

Can you please get any thought that the Eagles will trade out of the top 10 out of your head.

They’re only going to let go of 2 for a pick slide.
This is the hawks hypothetical trade post.

It was not that long ago it was said here we would not delist both Howe and Phillips. An it would he a small turn over this year. Think out side the box and dream big. There has to be a starting point for every trade.

I feel like the perception of Hawthorn at the moment is of just another middle tier club with most quality players from other clubs preferring Geelong, Richmond & Collingwood over us. How do we become relevant again quickly to attract A grade playing talent? Sam's first season as coach was kind of 'blah'...not great but not a disaster either - hardly inspiring for players looking for a new home.

In the absence of recent success, how do we become a destination club again & land a big fish? Should the club consider luring high profile well-credentialled off field personnel to create some excitement? (Someone like a Nathan Buckley.) Currently things look awfully vanilla in the brown and gold.

7 year contracts aren't coming to become less strange just because salary caps increase. There's no other sport in the world that has these sort of deals that are 100% guaranteed and with no risk of being moved on or traded against your will. Won't be long before the clubs find a way to fight back against any half decent player wanting more than half a decade guaranteed.
Major League Baseball and NBA have many players with no-trade clauses written in. NFL has started using gigantic signing bonuses to basically nullify their lack of "guaranteed contracts".

Fine, let them sign him as a FA then.

But they don't want that as it'll dilute their McStay compo.

So, if they want to trade for a player that we seemingly want to keep, why should they dictate terms?

We shouldn't be dickheads about it, but we sure as s**t shouldn't lose out of it. There's easily a win/win to be gained here - why you lot want to 'roll over' on this one is beyond me...
100% agree.

I agree about Gunston, champion of the club and if he wants to walk to Brisbane as a free agent then he should go with the clubs blessing.
The moment Brissy want to trade its no longer about Gunston, it’s about getting points for the best kid in the land and another predicted 1st rounder kid ( not our problem).

IMO fair trade value for a player the Hawks want to keep is not the club being difficult.

I'm happy (see: relatively comfortable) that we 'over-pay' or offer an 'extra year' that wouldn't otherwise be wise.

The concept that we "get nothing if he leaves via trade" is a construct of this board, only.

The objective of any negotiation should be to give the other party what they want, on our terms.

There's no reason at all that we should not facilitate the trade of Gunston to Brisbane (if that's what he wants), but it's ridiculous to suggest that facilitating this trade should not be on our terms*.

*'Our terms' does not suggest a 1-sided deal; it suggests a deal that suits our needs as well as Brisbane's, which a 'Future 4th' does not...
Mate I’d love for you to be correct, however, what’s the best case compensation for McStay? Second round? Brisbane aren’t gonna trade for Gunston to get that second round and pass it on to us. Even passing on a 3rd rounder would be bad business for them if they can avoid it.

They hold all the chips here and if we start trying to play hard ball, they’ll just pull the FA lever and say **** it. If you look historically at these trades, they usually get done for a packet of chips. Given the relationship with Gunners and all the service he’s given, I’d hope we aren’t dicks about it and focus on where we actually hold some leverage this trade period.

Any chance we could swap Gunston for Dev Robertson?

He has only played 21 games and isn’t a lock in their best 22. Looks very solid as a defensive midfielder…..I’d expect his attacking game will come with more game time.
Liked his game last night, but I suspect they have long term plans for him.

I feel like the perception of Hawthorn at the moment is of just another middle tier club with most quality players from other clubs preferring Geelong, Richmond & Collingwood over us. How do we become relevant again quickly to attract A grade playing talent? Sam's first season as coach was kind of 'blah'...not great but not a disaster either - hardly inspiring for players looking for a new home.

In the absence of recent success, how do we become a destination club again & land a big fish? Should the club consider luring high profile well-credentialled off field personnel to create some excitement? (Someone like a Nathan Buckley.) Currently things look awfully vanilla in the brown and gold.
One aspect is $$$. We've been tight asses in recent years banking on the "Clarko factor" which just wasn't going to cut it anymore. Utterly frustrating that we banked on this for so many years after the 3 peat.

If the reporting of Amon's salary is correct it seems post Clarko we've opened up the purse strings and it's starting to pay dividends. Hopefully in this upcoming trade period it will help to get a few more signatures over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One aspect is $$$. We've been tight asses in recent years banking on the "Clarko factor" which just wasn't going to cut it anymore. Utterly frustrating that we banked on this for so many years after the 3 peat.

If the reporting of Amon's salary is correct it seems post Clarko we've opened up the purse strings and it's starting to pay dividends. Hopefully in this upcoming trade period it will help to get a few more signatures over the line.
I agree. Up the offers.

Thoughts on Zac Williams?

Carlton prepared to let him go and pay a chunk of his salary.

Not sure if we’re interested yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Small rebounding defender (we have a few of those) that can play mid. Turns 28 in two weeks. Probably a pass from me.

I’m happy to let them pay for the consequences of their decisions. Not really the type we are lacking.

This is the hawks hypothetical trade post.

It was not that long ago it was said here we would not delist both Howe and Phillips. An it would he a small turn over this year. Think out side the box and dream big. There has to be a starting point for every trade.
Dumb comparison.

Howe and Phillips were always at risk of being delisted. Anyone who said otherwise hasn’t been paying attention.

As for the Eagles trading out of the top 10, it’s madness.
They’ve just finished bottom 2 and have an aging list.
You might think that a hypothetical thread means you just come up with completely unrealistic trades they make no sense for the clubs involved, but it’s simply impossible to see the Eagles trading out of the top 10 when they’re standing on the edge of the cliff, holding pick 2.

With Cal (bombers man) and Cleary (cats man) it doesn't surprise me that they push the narrative away from us. This doesn't mean Geelong are front runners at all. It just sucks they're after the same players as us.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Media are pushing a narrative. It's only Geelong, Richmond and Pies as the destination clubs at present. Let's see how it plays out.

I agree. Up the offers.
And I reckon the club will now.
They already given Sis a bigger contract than what would have of expected during Clarko era.
I suspect club knows more than ever if you want to land a big fish you need big bait.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They need cap room to sign Harry McKay ? Interesting.
Not something we are needing at all but got to be open to opportunities for the right price. Not a issue of talent but more so body and durability. Would be best 22 if fit. Not at expense of 1st or 2nd pick this year but for a bargain opportunity I would be open to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back