Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I've calmed down.

The O'Meara trade was good.
The Gunston trade was good.
The Mitchell trade sucked balls.

We can salvage the trade period by packaging and moving up or improving our 2023 hand. Stephens becoming a good player would be a bonus as well.

So you saying we wouldn't have got an offer equal to picks 41 and 50 for Mitchell last season after he got 20 odd brownlow votes ? Find that hard to believe.
It was common knowledge that at the end of 2021 Sam was happy for any player 27+ to “explore their options”. We would listen to any club who approached and put it to the player.

Not a single club came up with any offer for Tom or Jaeger.

Only Bruest and Wingard attracted interest from GWS.

The fact we have moved Tom and Jaeger on in 2022 is quite remarkable.

We picked up a highly rated tall mid in Stephens, something we have been craving. Speed and class in Amon, still have pick 6 & 24. Pretty well placed to live pick trade with Lions.
Picked up another 2nd rounder next year. And a ruck to support Ned.

And we did most of this trading out 2 players that were not part of the future because they couldn’t move the ball fast enough.

I think we are tracking well, now if we can snap up a Xavier O’Hallaran and/or Liam Henry in PSD/DFA that would be terrific.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What actual pick do the Lions have that we would try and move up for now?

One in the 30s? Lol

JOM screwed us when he chose Freo. If it stayed with GWS, we would have smashed the deal.
In a way I don't blame him. Gets to go home and be with family and his missus.

Meek I'm happy with. 8 clubs enquired about him apparently.
Stephens will be a very good pick up.
We have Amon. Pick 6. And a potential trading of 3 picks to move up the order.

One thing is clear. Lloyd was right. Sam made up his mind that Tom and Jom had to go now. He had no intention of playing them in the middle next year. This is a full reset. Done his way.

Strap in for the ride.
Totally agree with your assessment. Like always I think all of us got way too a head of ourselves in thinking that we were going to hit 2 x home runs deal Tom and JOM. We pretty much set ourselves up thinking we'd get a 2nd rounder for Tom and late 1st for JOM. The reality is as of today we got unders for Tom and probably broke even on JOM. Like you say if we can turn those 3 x picks in the 40s into something in the 20s then dealing both of them now doesn't look as bad.

I'm going to reserve my judgement on today's dealing until after the draft. Moving forward to the 2023 draft we'll have our own 1st rounder (likely top 3) and 2 x 2nd rounders and with an eye one getting young Will McCabe at a discount.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade Doggies future 2nd & 41 for Essendon's 22
Trade 48+50+52+65 to Lions for 35

Take into the draft 6+22+24+35
I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Whilst it would have been great to get more for JOM and Tom it’s hard to be upset when you remember we were last in the league for clearances this year and they both ranked top 3 centre bounce attendances.

Spending double the amount of time at stoppages than all but 2 others in Newcombe and Nash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trade Doggies future 2nd & 41 for Essendon's 22
Trade 48+50+52+65 to Lions for 35

Take into the draft 6+22+24+35

I’d be keeping next years extra second.

Try and shell off the excess picks this year and end up with 6+24 and 2 other picks inside 35-40.

Trade both of next years R2 (during next years period) for a first inside a McCabe bid/pick.

4 kids inside 40 this year (2 inside 25)

3 kids inside 20 (if McCabe is around 20) next year including one of them inside the top 3 in reality

Totally agree with your assessment. Like always I think all of us got way too a head of ourselves in thinking that we were going to hit 2 x home runs deal Tom and JOM. We pretty much set ourselves up thinking we'd get a 2nd rounder for Tom and late 1st for JOM. The reality is as of today we got unders for Tom and probably broke even on JOM. Like you say if we can turn those 3 x picks in the 40s into something in the 20s then dealing both of them now doesn't look as bad.

I'm going to reserve my judgement on today's dealing until after the draft. Moving forward to the 2023 draft we'll have our own 1st rounder (likely top 3) and 2 x 2nd rounders and with an eye one getting young Will McCabe at a discount.
JOM picks GWS instead of Freo we have pick 19 , that would look a lot better for this draft

Looking at the 2 trades today in isolation I think we are paying more of O’Mearas contract next year then Titch. Not sure why we settled for 41 and 50 rather than getting 27 of the Pies would have made the deal a lot better.

For O’meara to get Meek and a future 2nd Round which will be 26-28 for next years draft they are saying is potential best in a decade is a good deal. This gives us already 3 selections in Top 30 for next year. By all reports Meek was pushing Darcy this year who is a top 5 ruckman in league so we needed the ruck replacement for Big Boy.

For Titch, getting Stephens who was a pick 16 3 years ago learning midfield craft at the Cats for 3 years could be our reverse Kennedy with some luck. If we could have also got pick 27 from pies rather than 41 and 50, I would have said that we done well in both deals.

The important part now is which clubs to target to trade picks 41,48,50 and 52 to get back into the 20s somehow? Thoughts

Think we're severely underrating Cooper Stephens here....

Had his 2020 season completely wiped out with a severe ankle injury and was also injury affected in 2021. He then debuted this year and managed a further 7 games in a premiership side stacked with midfield talent. This kid oozes talent and will be a ripping pickup for the next 10 years, you can bookmark that.

Last edited:
Sack anyone involved in this trade period. Absolutely bent the * over. You ******* pieces of s*t. How do we go from pick 25 for titch to pick 41 50 and a kid who was worth about pick 60. I’m glad we were able to bend over and take it in the arse to allow all the teams around us to get their deals done. Bravo you ****** spuds
Still laughing at this :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back