Preview Hawks vs Freo - prematch chat in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schoey is an interesting one. Lots of positives and negatives. One thing he did was compete all night. Gets to good spots instinctively, and can often get into space on the flanks (although we didn't seem to play through them in this role as much as we could've).
He seems a bit lost on the high ball and seems to run too far under the ball, rather than protecting the space in front of him and then taking the mark out in front. Also seems to be a little conscious of his defender too much when the ball is in the air, rather than just playing the ball so he seems to be just a fraction late establishing marking position. This might be because he has spent so much time as a defender over the last few years.
Even on the goal he kicked he almost led himself under the ball.
That being said, his second and third efforts were fantastic all night when the ball hit the ground.
Showed enough I think to keep his spot while Rough is out and if he can develop a bit more timing over the next few weeks he may give us more flexibility for Rough in the middle.

Ironically I did see a little too much instinctive defensiveness the other night

as for freo a lot hinges on what players, or game they bring. It seems to be so tough to get from Freo to Launceston. Mars would be slightly easier

They may want to return as well as possible from the H&A simply to beat west coast on the ladder

Last edited:

I must have been watching a different game Friday night - I would have had Stratton in our best. Was Elliot the sub? Did He play? Was he sighted? Actually he was - on the bench when Bucks was giving him a feel good cuddle!
He may not be offering as much offensively this year but gee he has nailed some lock down jobs. Would love to see him get Walters - and Doc to Ballantyne to do the job just like he did on Betts.

ps - those calling for Birchall to be dropped, rested, ommitted - it really is embarrassing.

Last edited:
I must have been watching a different game Friday night - I would have had Stratton in our best. Was Elliot the sub? Did He play? Was he sighted? Actually he was - on the bench when Bucks was giving him a feel good cuddle!
He may not be offering as much offensively this year but gee he has nailed some lock down jobs. Would love to see him get Walters - and Doc to Ballantyne to do the job just like he did on Betts.

ps - those calling for Birchall to be dropped, rested, ommitted - it really is embarrassing.
Yep...Birch has missed a bit of footy this year.
He goes about the job in such a way that I reckon some of the doubters would be surprised at how many possessions he gets even when it looks like he is having a quiet one. He does have the odd clanger or two.
But cant wait to see him back to his dangerous best, streaming through the middle to take a shot from 55-60m out.....and nailing it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's just the poor kicks that stick in the mind of some.

When Hill makes the same amount of errors by foot it's not as obvious because he gets the pill 20-25 times.

Good post.

But you're very harsh on Elliott, he was hindered by a bad case of tattooitis.
And overrateditis.

Can't see why. He was slow and out of position on numerous occasions. 0 tackles for the game when the ball came in the defensive 50 an awful lot.

I just think 1 gamein the VFL.will be better for both him and the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see why. He was slow and out of position on numerous occasions. 0 tackles for the game when the ball came in the defensive 50 an awful lot.

I just think 1 gamein the VFL.will be better for both him and the team.

Birchall shouldn't and won't be dropped.

Get the feeling from afar that Ross won't be sending his A-team over for this one....Can't see the point of sending vets in Pav & Saandi to Tassie; when Freo have the luxury of dropping this game without it affecting their standing....We will also have a 2 days break advantage over them 9/7, before they play Carlton a mere 6 days later.

Their only other 'tough' games thereafter is a home derby vs W/C & an away trip to the M.C.G against the Tigers.

Last edited:
Against a side missing Silvagni, Johnson & Dawson at a venue where they've won 1 game, nine years ago by a point, makes things look pretty good for us on paper.

But as we all know, games aren't won on paper & I can't really see Fremantle doing a version of what they did in 2010. There will always be doubts about Fremantle playing away from home so I reckon they'll come at us all guns blazing.

We need to be really well prepared & switched on from the start. Hartung for Spangher would be the only change I'd consider & even then I'm not totally convinced. Langers looks better when he's just scrapping in the middle. Maybe he'll have first go at Fyfe.

Get the feeling from afar that Ross won't be sending his A-team over for this one....Can't see the point of sending vets in Pav & Saandi to Tassie; when Freo have the luxury of dropping this game without it affecting their standing....We will also have a 2 days break advantage over them 9/7, before they play Carlton a mere 6 days later.

Their only other 'tough' games thereafter is a home derby vs W/C & an away trip to the M.C.G against the Tigers.

Agree Pc35. It seems almost impossible for them to lose top spot, so why not give his aging start a rest.

On a side note, what happens in September if Freo and Eagles finish 1 & 2?

Surely, they wouldn't have two finals in Perth on the same weekend. Would they? Would they make it 1 v 2, and 3 v 4? If $hitney finish 3rd, we might only get the alsorans playing in Melbourne for the first week.

I wonder if they A.F.L has any contingency play for if this were to happen.

We will save them the embarrassment by finishing second.

I know this is off subject, but you're the man with knowledge and ideas, so I thought I'd drop this here.o_O

Against a side missing Silvagni, Johnson & Dawson at a venue where they've won 1 game, nine years ago by a point, makes things look pretty good for us on paper.

But as we all know, games aren't won on paper & I can't really see Fremantle doing a version of what they did in 2010. There will always be doubts about Fremantle playing away from home so I reckon they'll come at us all guns blazing.

We need to be really well prepared & switched on from the start. Hartung for Spangher would be the only change I'd consider & even then I'm not totally convinced. Langers looks better when he's just scrapping in the middle. Maybe he'll have first go at Fyfe.
Remember that Sydney game in 2012 in Tassie? That's what I fear.

Agree Pc35. It seems almost impossible for them to lose top spot, so why not give his aging start a rest.

Surely, they wouldn't have two finals in Perth on the same weekend. Would they? Would they make it 1 v 2, and 3 v 4? If $hitney finish 3rd, we might only get the alsorans playing in Melbourne for the first week.

We will save them the embarrassment by finishing second.

I know this is off subject, but you're the man with knowledge and ideas, so I thought I'd drop this here.o_O
Why wouldn't they have 2 finals in WA on the same weekend?
1 on Friday night, 1 on Saturday night
Happens in Vic all the time

West Coast, by comparison to Freo, have a very tough run home Thai: Adel, Syd, Haw & Freo to come at home & Coll & Adel away....They have next to no chance of finishing in 2nd spot.

Their next 5 weeks is the toughest of the lot.

Remember that Sydney game in 2012 in Tassie? That's what I fear.

Got em back on their turf but....Though it all amounted to & counted for nufin come finals time....Thanks to the fat ******* cheating VLAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back