Autopsy Hawks vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Your signature leaves us in no doubt about your political leanings. Have you just come here to bring politics into football? If so you are not welcome, we try to keep politics out of

If you are not a warmonger why are you stirring up trouble on our board?
She/he is stirring up about as much trouble as Melbourne did in Round 7...

From Rita Panahi, worth a read if you haven't already.

--

Just when did we decide that a footballer was above criticism.

The reaction to any criticism levelled at Adam Goodes, whether it’s his habit of staging for free kicks or his conduct as Australian of the Year, is not only hypersensitive but bordering on the hysterical.

Cricket legend Shane Warne has copped a barrage of irrational online invective for daring to pass judgement on Goodes and saying what many in the media are too timid, or should that be too terrified, to utter.

Even football fans have been condemned as racist for booing Goodes. Curiously there is no such handwringing when other players are routinely booed.

Goodes is a champion footballer and has done much good off the field but that does not elevate him to some saintly status where he is beyond reproach.

His tenure as Australian of the Year has left a great deal to be desired; he has been divisive,inaccurate and frankly given some of his statements, one wonders why he accepted the honour.

I was particularly taken aback by this quote from Goodes:

“First of all, Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on and maybe pay a little bit more respect to that,’’

Silly me, I thought this was my land, too. I didn’t realise I was virtually trespassing in the country that I call home.

Let’s be clear; to criticise Goodes because he’s indigenous is racist, backward and utterly despicable but to assume that all criticism must be inspired by race is simplistic nonsense.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...ments/criticism_of_adam_goodes_is_not_racist/

A big problem with it is that you open the door for a lot of intolerant people to get away with being bigots under the banner of something else. I am not saying that Goodes should be immune to criticism but 10,000's of people booing him just doesn't seem like the correct response to someones ideological gripes with a footy player, especially when the position he takes is in and of itself pretty honourable. If Goodes was really a genuinely bad person then I could understand to some extent but at worst he is a bit self serving narcissist that tackles legs first.

To balance the equation between that reality and the response that we see in the stands it is very very easy to insert race into it.

those with false conciousness

Oh great wise one; who doth spake in riddles & OVER-generalized political dogma....Do but lead us out of the valley of darkness & into the light of 'true consciousness'....

Lead us to those peaks of post-grad socialized philosophical conundrums....Yes, I've read a book or 2 in my time....But you'll find more truth & wisdom ln Whinny The Pooh, than the gruel your serving up here young 'tinkler'.

Any leering Swans want to know why you're called the AFL / media pets - re watch McVeigh's late arm swing across Langford's neck and then read the MRP report.
'tackle'. Yeah right!

The Swans are referred to as "media-pets" only by Hawthorn supporters. Anyway I'm off now!

The Swans are referred to as "media-pets" only by Hawthorn supporters. Anyway I'm off now!
Thanks for stopping by.

Ever thought that maybe it's Hawks supporters that are the aggrieved party as we're the only ones that you've been assisted in winning a Premiership against*?

Wtf would any other club have a specific issue with you, more so than gws or cold ghost or any other afl-funded plasticity? Surely you experienced the media-pet scenario in September last year & were close-on announced GF winners early September by 90% of the media without doing anything to deserve your favoured status.

*You were the better team on the day in 2012 - we lost - no disputing the fairness in that - my (maybe our) issue is the 180-odd days leading up to that point where your team was favoured & that you enjoyed the favouritism of the media in 2014 that should surely have been at least 50/50 & that a fair bit of the post GF focus was on your ineptness & not our greatness.

By virtue of being AFL-sponsored & from Sydney, you detracted from what should've been a bigger focus on our achievement - if not after the fact then surely before-so. Hence, our supporters see your club as being pets of the media, constantly propped up whether you deserve it or not.

Last edited:
If you are not a warmonger why are you stirring up trouble on our board?

Just another agent provocateur....

A race agitator trying to turn a peaceful protest into a riot with sweeping generalizations masquerading as some form of politico-intellectualism

(Where I come from we call these people "assholes!")

Apparently Adam Goodes' dad is white (Irish background). If I chose to boo Goodes (I don't, but I can see why some do) then I guess it'd be alright because we share heritage?

A big problem with it is that you open the door for a lot of intolerant people to get away with being bigots under the banner of something else. I am not saying that Goodes should be immune to criticism but 10,000's of people booing him just doesn't seem like the correct response to someones ideological gripes with a footy player. If Goodes was really a genuinely bad person then I could understand to some extent but at worst he is a bit self serving narcissist that tackles legs first.

To balance the equation between that reality and the response that we see in the stands it is very very easy to insert race into it.

I saw Trevor Noah when he came to Melbourne last year. Fantastic comedian and, having lived through apartheid with a black mum and white dad, if anyone understands racism it's him. He talked about what he called "inadvertent racism". He described it as when people are overly nice to you because of your race or assume that a comment was racist toward you. He says that in itself is racism and I couldn't agree more. Treating someone different because of their race - good or bad.

I don't think Goodes is a bad person at all. Who is perfect? But I will say that ON FIELD he's one of the dirtiest players over the last decade and rarely gets called out for it by the media or by the MRP. It's the classic 'protected species' case that footy fans hate.

To say he can't be booed because it might shelter some people that are booing while thinking racists things is absurd. How would you ever know who is doing it for what reason? And it's just a boo - a noise. The interpretation of the noise is up to the individual. Words are a very different story. But all this smells of a lot of 'inadvertent racism' for mine.

Last edited:
Perhaps the moment has come and gone again for an actual game related comment in this thread - but here goes anyway. I watched the replay again and noticed a few things.
1 - I thought Shiels and Langers were really solid. Given they are the future, that was a great sign. We still need the Jedi to come to the party in terms oomph and class in the post mitch/burgers/burgs era, but still. They really out-sydneyed sydney.
2 We gave up a lot of cheap goals. Like half their score was from really poor turnovers, or soft contests, or fumbles. This was the case against the giants too. That it is a recurrent theme is a genuinely worrying sign. I mean, it is correctable, but in years gone by, I wouldn't still be an issue. I am not sure what to make of this.
3- We flat out just don't look as potent in attack. accurate kicking or otherwise, part of our transition play from half back looks less fluid.
4 - Sydney's defense is still absolutely s**t scared of our forwards, particularly when trying to move the ball out from defense. We were really able to lock it in there for long periods. BUT - they were able to hold us from scoring fluently when it was there. They seemed to scratch and bite and claw for dear life better than previously.
4 - Cyril is still da freakin man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This booing of Goods thing... He's a self entitled flog and no one likes a self entitled flog, end of story.

Goods will be a liability in the finals anyway, I hope Horse keeps playing him and I hope we meet Sydney in the finals. Kick straight we win, simples.

Who was on Dan Hanneberry btw? Seemed like he was able to run free all day. Had a quarter of Sydney's clearances and an equal game high 18 kicks. Unacceptable to let a player of his ability that much freedom.

Also looking at the stats it must be said again that the decision not to play Hartung from the first siren was a mistake. In just a quarter of footy the kid had 3 clearances (only 8 other players on the ground had more) and 7 of his 9 possessions were contested (equal with Burgoyne, Rioli and Breust). I don't think he even came off in that time, just kept running for the entire quarter and attacking every contest as if it were his last. Very special player. Not many more games as sub if he keeps this up.

2 We gave up a lot of cheap goals. ....
3- We flat out just don't look as potent in attack.....

It looks like we are being overly attacking. Everyone is compressing too close to goal. We are not getting blown away and the skills are down but whatever we are working on is close to being correct.

Norf played a seven man backline in the first quarter and we kicked 6 - game over. In our losses when the opposition was on a roll we maintained our 6 forwards. This commitment to attack is how we will win the flag, just need to tone it down a tad.

Footy gods against us this season. All 4 losses we have had all the momentum and the result in out hands. I suppose we rode our luck in 2014. We should be grateful that we went back to back. But these results make winning 2015 hard to picture.

Agree. Lady luck does seem to have deserted us, maybe time to sacrifice some virgins, or perhaps a pig. Don't think we are out of it yet. Easier draw this year, including the games ahead of us. I think we will still make the top four.

Agree. Lady luck does seem to have deserted us, maybe time to sacrifice some virgins, or perhaps a pig. Don't think we are out of it yet. Easier draw this year, including the games ahead of us. I think we will still make the top four.
Geez, good luck with that. Might have better luck hunting leprechauns.

you leave me unimpressed. Anyway have a happy Mabo Day. !! cheers.
Oh no. You are unimpressed. Whatever shall we do. Please shine your enlightened wisdom upon we poor peons some more so that one day we may be worthy of your tolerance.

Hawks supporters are about the only only ones calling out Goodes out on his malicious and dirty acts ..in particular trying to break Josh Gibson's leg in a football match in front of the Hawthorn home crowd on the Southern wing. Goodes has form in this area of trying to hurt the opposition players and getting away with it. The MRP tend to turn a blind eye for him. This is why he gets booed.

Haha, bullshit. Every single club in the land's supporters know and poke s**t at Sydney for having a different set of rules made up for them "for the good of the game".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back