Training Hawthorn intra-club, Latrobe Uni, 5pm Wednesday 15th

Remove this Banner Ad

This whole thing is a bit bewildering to me.

Scrim has class, and is a key component of our backline.

Barring injury, I would expect him to play round one, and if he shows the same form he has previously, he will keep his spot.

Last edited:

Barring injury, I would expect him to play round one, and if he shows the same form he has previously, he will keep it

Who are you leaving out then? Impey? Sicily? CJ? Hardwick? Frost? Blank?

I assume not one of them, so Scrimshaw in the last spot and Bramble not in the team?

But that then also has flow on effects. It’ll mean we leave out either Worpel or one of our young mids luke Butler or Frenchie.

I assume not one of them, so Scrimshaw in the last spot and Bramble not in the team?

But that then also has flow on effects. It’ll mean we leave out either Worpel or one of our young mids luke Butler or Frenchie.
There's a bench spot for a defender.

I don't think there's any impact on playing the likes of Butler or Worpel. They're competing with others for a spot in the 22 (23).

Bramble is not a defender.

The side can easily fit all of Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Blanck, CJ, Impey, Sicily, and one of Frost/DGB.

If there's a choice between Worpel, who has underperformed for three seasons, or Scrimshaw, then it's an easy decision to make.

Worpel is competing with Nash, Day, Ward, Maginess, Newcombe, Stephens and MacDonald for a role through the middle.

Geez this Scrimshaw thing has come out of no where hasn't it 🤪

I've watched some Hawks players put in some pretty poor performances on occasion the last 4 years but Jack has always been at the very least a very solid / good player for us.

If we are at the stage where we are willing to sacrifice a talented/proven talent over an untried draftee just cause he is the ripe old age of 24 I'd say our obsession with youth is bordering on the fanatical status.

There are squads of 22, not just 18 on the field.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility to have seven defenders in the 22? Is that so much of a stretch?

And not that I think that is even a question, if your 'only 6 people we call defenders can play' example ever occurs, Scrimshaw to my mind is a better 'footballer' than Frost, but I can see scenarios where Frost might have the required physique for a role.

But as I said, I see no issue with those 6 you named PLUS Scrimshaw in 'our best 22'

And I really see Bramble used more a winger/mid than a HBF

Last edited:

The side can easily fit all of Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Blanck, CJ, Impey, Sicily, and one of Frost/DGB.

If there's a choice between Worpel, who has underperformed for three seasons, or Scrimshaw, then it's an easy decision to make.

Worpel is competing with Nash, Day, Ward, Maginess, Newcombe, Stephens and MacDonald for a role through the middle.
Frost is clearly a lock each week so it basically means DGB is the odd one out. Which doesn’t make much sense to me, I hope we put games into DGB. I think we’ll see some shuffling around.

Barring injury, I would expect him to play round one, and if he shows the same form he has previously, he will keep it
The conversation has evolved off Scrim being selected in the “possibles” over the “possibles”, and the fact he is perceived as less suited to Sam’s game plan than others in the side. He’s not a particularly great one on one defender and he is not good at playing on at all costs out of defence.

The plus side is he is naturally a very gifted footballer so he has all the tools to take that next step. I guess it’s not a question of; will he be in the side, which I believe he’s clearly a lock, but will his spot be under pressure as the year progresses, which is a fair question.

Frost is clearly a lock each week so it basically means DGB is the odd one out. Which doesn’t make much sense to me, I hope we put games into DGB. I think we’ll see some shuffling around.

Doubt Frost is clearly a lock. He missed games last season and I expect Mitchell will again be coaching with an eye on the future. Frost isn't going to be part of any Premiership tilt we have.

Doubt Frost is clearly a lock. He missed games last season and I expect Mitchell will again be coaching with an eye on the future. Frost isn't going to be part of any Premiership tilt we have.
He missed games through injury don’t recall him being dropped. Considering the coaches picked the leadership group this year and he’s in there, it’s clear that he’s going to be playing most weeks.

Did he miss any games through selection or did his missed games all relate to his season-ending knee injury? I don't recall, but I also don't recall him being dropped.

And there's absolutely no reason he couldn't be part of a premiership run, especially if that occurred in 2025/6.

Your Frost hate is crazy.

He missed games through injury don’t recall him being dropped. Considering the coaches picked the leadership group this year and he’s in there, it’s clear that he’s going to be playing most weeks.

Hardwick was dropped from the leadership group, does that mean his spot isn't certain?

I imagine Frost was picked because he's older, experienced and is a great example on the track. He'd be a respected older player amongst the group too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he miss any games through selection or did his missed games all relate to his season-ending knee injury? I don't recall, but I also don't recall him being dropped.

And there's absolutely no reason he couldn't be part of a premiership run, especially if that occurred in 2025/6.

Your Frost hate is crazy.

Give over mate, I don't hate Frost.

Hardwick was dropped from the leadership group, does that mean his spot isn't certain?

I imagine Frost was picked because he's older, experienced and is a great example on the track. He'd be a respected older player amongst the group too.
I get that but you don’t put a fringe player in the leadership group and I’d be disappointed if we did.

Like any player, his spot is up for grabs if he doesn’t perform, however given the severe lack of experience we’re putting on the park every week, even with an eye to the future, id be shocked if he’s dropped.

playing frost makes it easier for guys like DGB, Bramble, Scrim, CJ, Sic etc. to show off their various offensive skills

it's exactly the same as the Morris/Hardwick synergy except frost has that effect on all defenders bc he's so versatile.

Easy to see why coaches would want to pick him if u follow that train of thought. He's an excellent defender with a high work rate and speed. It's enough to make up for his offensive deficiencies in a backline with multiple potent offensive weapons already

Barring injury, I would expect him to play round one, and if he shows the same form he has previously, he will keep his spot.
I serious doubt Jack misses Rd 1 - or for any significant part of the season, but being able to play up front or tightening up his defensive efforts will make him a top 5 player for our club.

He’s old enough and talented enough to do that instead of coasting. 😉

Time to step up

playing frost makes it easier for guys like DGB, Bramble, Scrim, CJ, Sic etc. to show off their various offensive skills

it's exactly the same as the Morris/Hardwick synergy except frost has that effect on all defenders bc he's so versatile.

Easy to see why coaches would want to pick him if u follow that train of thought. He's an excellent defender with a high work rate and speed. It's enough to make up for his offensive deficiencies in a backline with multiple potent offensive weapons already

Especially important in a year with so much mature depth leaving that Frost provides a bit of backbone to the side with his strength and size, and his aggressive way of playing. Also we didn't see him that much with Blanck, I'll be interested to see what he does with more support around him.

All this talk about Scrim not being in the 22

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

Scrim is - at a minimum - on a par with all of those guys, bar Sicily. It is very, very even. In my opinion he is an important piece of the puzzle moving forward.

I think based on discussion here on BF, Frosty is in the leadership team picked by the coache. The battle I think is between Scrim and DGB, for my money it’s Scrim, we wait with baited breath ;)

Going on what I saw about 5 times live last year, I would have Scrim in any day of the week over Impey.
Until I see any different from Jarman, I will stick very fat to this.

Last edited:
As an aside, if the backline was secure, just let me say, we are spending an inordinate amount of time looking to secure a FA KPD.

A move that is frankly good list management and makes a lot of sense. I do believe we will look at one of our back man and try and make them a fwd. All of Frost, Dimma, Scrim, DGB, Imps, had stellar fwd careers as juniors and beyond. Frankly, it to makes sense.

I reckon the only real locks are, Sicily, Hardwick, Newk, Amon, Moore and Breust. The rest of the spots are up for grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back