Hawthorn may emerge as the new frontrunner for Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

PD is in many ways the perfect fit at HFC

If you look at our succession planning, once our current first liners are gone, we tick the boxes in all areas except big bodied mids. Lewis Mitch and Hodge will be gone in the near future, and could go much earlier if they suffer a significant injury. If we lose all three in a short time frame, then I cant see anyone on the horizon who can replace them. We have lots of excellent quality players who can rotate through, but it takes a big, hard bodied man to do it all day.

Dangerfield would fit the bill perfectly. For those who criticise his skills, my response would be ‘you must be joking’. For any of his perceived shortfalls that are currently present, I am sure that a decent preseason at HFC would put those concerns to rest. In a highly skilled and brilliantly coached club, he would shine. I see the concept of recruiting him as being very similar to recruiting Lake, and many of the comments on the board now are similar to those that were bandied about when Lake came on the horizon. Brian, and many other mature age recruits we have picked up, have transformed their games after arriving at HFC

And look at it from Dangerfield’s point of view. Where ever he plays he will be well paid. If he plays at Geelong he will be closer to Mogg’s Creek, but has no prospect at all of picking up a flag. If he plays at HFC, he can drive down the coast on the weekends. To be frank, if at his current age, and with the limited time frame of his remaining career of perhaps 5-8 years, if he chose to not defer living on the coast until he was about 33 then we don’t want him anyway. Would be a soft-as-butter decision to bugger his career prospects to live in Geelong rather than Melbourne for that time frame. Plenty of us have travelled away from home in the prime of our lives to further our career. He would be mad to opt for the Cats at this point in time

And the last consideration is salary cap. There will be plenty of space after losing Buddy, and if Patrick is the man we want, he will come seeking a flag rather than maximum payment

Frankly, I would not be at all surprised if we ended up getting him

Don't need Dangerfield, we're getting Boomer !!!!
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-23/could-boomer-walk-out-on-north

Surely Barrett is taking the p!ss.
37 years old and having issues with the coach
"He's slowed down a little bit"
"His kicking is not as precise nor as penetrating as it once was"
"Contested possessions don't come as frequently as they once did. "

Yeah Damian, fits the Hawthorn mould perfectly. Have you watched a single Hawks game this year?

I'm convinced Dangerfield will be the first Restricted Free Agent to have his offer matched or bettered.

Adelaide will not put up with players leaving them for peanuts anymore.

Look at the past restricted free agents, Goddard and DalSanto were no longer wanted as saints were rebuilding and new they would get great draft picks.

We couldn't match Sydney's offer cause it was stupid, and they had a 1 million dollars extra in their cap. Also we didn't know that we were going to get shafted so bad on compensation.

Adelaide will no doubt force a trade.

The people saying Dangerfield is s**t and burns the ball whilst also calling for Langford to come in....

show some respect! Langers stood up and smashed the Swans in the GF...FFS!

adding, did you mind when he was kicking them over his head and off the boundary that same day?

hahaha that article really rustled some jimmys over on the scats board.

There's melters already claiming they will walk away from AFL if we got him. Jez, those supporters really must see the writing on the wall for that club if they don't land danger. Delicious.

Geelong's forgone conclusion that Patrick is going there reminds me of Franklin going to GWS

The people saying Dangerfield is s**t and burns the ball whilst also calling for Langford to come in....

Langford doesn't want 800k+ and is still a pup.
I doubt anyone calls Dangerfield s**t though, just see ball, get ball, hoof ball kind of player.
Dane Swan won a Brownlow doing it and he's not s**t.

Assuming Lake, Hale, Spangher, Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Gibson retire by the end of 2016 (though I'm confident 2-3 of the last 4 could go around a few more times than that if lucky with their bodies) and we lose Suckling to FA. We could have a starting line up of this in 2017...

FB: Duryea Frawley Stratton
HB: Litherland Brand Birchall
C: Hartung Lewis Hill
HF: Rioli Schoenmakers Smith
FF: Breust Roughead Gunston
R: Ceglar Dangerfield Shiels
Int: McEvoy Puopolo Anderson Langford Howe Sicily O'Rourke O'Brien Heatherley Shem Woodward Whitecross

I've probably forgotten a name or two or three from our current squad who could be pushing this line up. Also difficult to tell which of the young players might be much better than being named as starting on the very extended bench.

The concern doesn't seem to be adding talent to the list but instead trying to increase the quality of the talent in the 22.

Would be rather humorous if it happened, but can't see it happening.

God, the AFL would just about implode if we landed him though. Imagine the heads of Eddie and co. Wow.

Yep.

If Hawks sign Dangerfield the AFL will take away our COLA and strip us of access to our academy players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be rather humorous if it happened, but can't see it happening.

God, the AFL would just about implode if we landed him though. Imagine the heads of Eddie and co. Wow.

With Adams, Crisp, Treloar, Aish and Danger...they shouldn't be complaining.

hahaha that article really rustled some jimmys over on the scats board.

There's melters already claiming they will walk away from AFL if we got him. Jez, those supporters really must see the writing on the wall for that club if they don't land danger. Delicious.

We get Danger AND the Cats leave the AFL? DOUBLE WIN!

Now you're talking. Would give you Warnock back as a sweetener.

I don't know about Warnock, any chance you could upgrade him to Casboult? We're desperately in need of a reliable kick at goal.

Don't want him. Any decent Suns or Giants coming out of contract soon?

i'm thinking this way too, Paddy Dangerfield will cost an arm and a leg contract-wise and trade-wise and i'm not sold on the idea he is worth doing that for

we have some of the best young talent and this isnt just a line, Hill is 22, Will Langford is almost forgotten, he is 23, Hartung is 20, Anderson is a gun midfielder in the making and is 21, Howe has gun midfielder written all over him and he's 19, Woodward if he gets his body right is 22 and Miles looks a likely youngster and is 18

the depth of talented youngsters in the midfield is deep and im less concerned about the older blokes retiring than i ever have been, Dangerfield would just be topping on an already amazing Cake

Future young Midfield Talent:
W. Langford 23, Hill 22, Woodward 22, Anderson 21, Hartung 20, Howe 19, Miles 18

Dangerfield would only be a bonus imo, paying overs seems ridiculous

We can offer him Gunston and Shiels money and he can promise to relentlessy improve on his disposals.

And then we can work on winning a few more flags.

We have seen what happens when a team cripples themselves paying overs...

i like to laugh at Carlton, all i do is think at the massive contracts they threw at Kouta and Judd, always makes me smile

any of these dimwits in this thread wanting to throw big contracts at media darlings need to wake the #@$% up............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back