#hawthornproblems

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as winning grand finals go its a fairly boring match. #hawthornproblems
Am i only the one who didn't find the game boring? People are always saying how crap the game was, but I disagree. It wasn't exciting when Freo came storming home in that 3rd quarter to get within 3 points? And a mere 10 points difference at 3 quarter time. Esp in light of screwing up 2012 (and 11) it was pretty bloody tense being there i gotta say. It was only Smith's stunning goal that opened the floodgates. Even then Dockers came back and had a real shot which they squandered.

Am i only the one who didn't find the game boring? People are always saying how crap the game was, but I disagree. It wasn't exciting when Freo came storming home in that 3rd quarter to get within 3 points? And a mere 10 points difference at 3 quarter time. Esp in light of screwing up 2012 (and 11) it was pretty bloody tense being there i gotta say. It was only Smith's stunning goal that opened the floodgates. Even then Dockers came back and had a real shot which they squandered.
Definitely wasn't boring. I just think for some it looks bland in comparison to '14 and '15. The latter being beautiful spring (summer really!) days, '13 being a bit wet, very windy and overcast. '14 and '15 we dominated with our preferred attacking style which resulted in plenty of memorable moments and highlights while in '13 we had to really grind it out in trying conditions.

The stakes were highest in 2013 I reckon which led to more nerves when Freo got close late in the game. Leading up to the game in 2014 there was perhaps more nerves as I think we all really wanted that revenge but the game itself was a cake walk in the end.

2013 wasn't boring at all - in terms of a contest it was the best of the three. Not that it would have changed the result, but Freo really fluffed their opportunities...we were quite lucky in those last 6 or 7 minutes, not to mention the early stages of the match.

2014 is probably the one everyone loves the most because we got revenge on Sydney - for 2012, Buddy and the Swans' fans arrogance - in blistering style. Hardly anyone saw it coming...it was awe-inspiring.

2015 was great with Cyril creating havoc in the "Weagles Web (TM)".

2013 was a relief when we got over the hump, and after the prelim it was a bit of a dour game still had its moments though and purple haze ruined the build up a bit
2014 was great to stick it up everyone and enjoy a smashing win, all the talking up of Sydney was the icing on the cake
2015 was great for the too old too slow too hot etc etc and the first I was able to attend in person.

I'm hoping we are there again, with the media tipping against us and writing us off again and we go and smash someone again this year

i really am, aren't i. It's bizarre. Even afterwards celebrations seemed a tad flat. oh well #hawthornproblems

It was more a feeling of relief for me (2014 was a celebration).

Whilst the game was closer on the scoreboard I felt that we were in control for the match - the only time I questioned this was when they got within a few points the second time, however Gunston responded with a goal straight away and I felt we were back in control from that moment.

So by the looks of the Hawthorn website the players will be wearing the three peat guernsey this season (minus the teams, players and scoreline printing - but retaining the gold AFL logo and 2013 | 2014 | 2015 premierships writing).

What happens in 2017 when the team wins the 2016 flag, there's not enough room left to include the extra text within the AFL logo

#hawthornproblems

As someone that likes to re-watch Hawthorn matches.... I would actually say it's the GF I have watched the least. I have re-watched it many times over the last 3 years of course, but I get more excitement from the 4th quarter most of all.

Smith's goal is still my favourite highlight of the threepeat.... other than Clarko + Hodge lifting the cup in 2014 instead of $ydney ANDDDDD of course the premiership celebration that followed the victory against the WCE.

Last edited:

I agree it was quite tense at the time for a while there, but when you know the result it's not one for re-watching when we have so many other better ones to choose from #hawthornproblems

For anyone that hasn't watched the 2013 grannie for a while, pop in the disk and pay close attention to Hodge's steely resolve coming up the race. In contrast 2014 and 2015 he was really relaxed, but 2013 you could tell how much it meant to the players to immediately atone for 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking to a neutral about it the other day. They thought it was a really good Grand Final. The issue for me, and probably a lot of us here, was that the only thing that mattered was getting the result. So the tussle that it ended up becoming was extremely inconvenient thing to endure in order to get the cup.

For anyone that hasn't watched the 2013 grannie for a while, pop in the disk and pay close attention to Hodge's steely resolve coming up the race. In contrast 2014 and 2015 he was really relaxed, but 2013 you could tell how much it meant to the players to immediately atone for 2012.

Agree, which is why it was a cagey game. It wasn't a pretty performance, but after the Geelong win I thought there was no way we would lose against Fremantle.

After that win the GF loss ('success') AND the Geelong monkeys were off our backs, they were ready for 14 and 15.

I'm on board. Underrated Grand Final. If Freo win it, everyone says it's a classic

i really am, aren't i. It's bizarre. Even afterwards celebrations seemed a tad flat. oh well #hawthornproblems
I've never felt much desire to sit down and watch the game again. As others have mentioned, I think the overriding feeling at the final siren was simply relief. I think my feeling after each of the last 4 premierships are as follows:

2008: "Holy s**t, we won!" (Excitement)
2013: "Thank *, we won." (Relief)
2014: "* yeh, eat a dick Franklin!" (Redemption)
2015: "Wow, just ... wow!" (Awe)

I think it's why I like 2014 so much, it really was a mix of those 4 emotions.

I enjoyed the 2014 triumph the most and it remains the one I re watch the most. The Franklin defection cut me deep at the time especially after Andrew Ireland decided to throw salt on our collective wound by announcing that Franklin had initiated the contact between the two parties following the 2012 GF tragedy. That first image of Franklin in a Sydney polo top walking out of the SFC office ( a couple of weeks after hoisting the Cup with his former teammates) and greeting a throng of Swans fans who had turned up to greet him was nauseating. The media jumped on board. Sydney's grand plan had to be stopped, and the team to do it kept losing key players ( and their coach ) throughout the regular season. It was a great performance to finish second and after nearly blowing the Prelim we got our chance. And took it magnificently. Simply brilliant performance not only to destroy our opponent and win a great Premiership but also to remove forever the pall of indignation so many felt about the Franklin heist. I will never tire at watching that masterpiece. The physicality was awesome, the skills under pressure phenomenal. The planning and execution perfect. I loved 2013 because it was tough win in difficult circumstances against an opponent that the footy world had overhyped to ridiculous levels. There was a distinct lack of respect for our boys going in that needed to be righted, and it duly was. I was confident we would win easily last year and the professional performance was as it should have been. Not withstanding a very poor qualifying effort I thought we had West Coast covered in all areas at the MCG in a Grand Final. I enjoy watching the game purely for the masterclass it was. The fact I quite like the Eagles as a team and club meant I didn't get that extra level of satisfaction at witnessing our boys completely humiliate their opponent that was front and centre in the 2014 triumph.

I auctually just watched 13 yesterday, and that was the thing I remember the most, he looked like a kamakazi bomber with no fear, we were never going to loose that game. I enjoyed it very much, the pressure on Freo was crazy all the early missed shots by Fyfe and Mayne.. I already miss Brian Lake :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back