Hearing Whispers

Remove this Banner Ad

There are no words.

It's the number one overall pick syndrome.

The public opinion is constantly you're a dud unless you're the best in the draft which rarely is the case with those number one overall picks.

Bryce Gibbs like Watts has similarly been unfairly criticised despite being a durable and consistently very good player from the start with a particularly terrific season this year where he thoroughly deserved to be in the AA squad of 40. And with Gibbs given his prowess from the start has never deserved any of the criticism that has come his way.

Jack Watts has the ability to play any position on the field. He has pace, footskills and height. All things we need. Would be best 22 on any team in the competition. Soft as he is with his poor attack on the ball, he can still play and play some very good football. Much as he is maligned.

Seedsman & Watts. All we need to do is then recruit Clangermakers and we'll have the Bay 13 Holy Trinity.

It's the number one overall pick syndrome...
Jack Watts has the ability to play any position on the field. He has pace, footskills and height. All things we need. Would be best 22 on any team in the competition. Soft as he is with his poor attack on the ball, he can still play and play some very good football. Much as he is maligned.

Seriously?

If the great Roos can't get anything out of Watts, what makes you think our development staff could?

Roos is famous for taking teams rejects and making them into good players.

Well Sydney is famous for making the most of there players. Does not mean Roos can do it as well with Melbourne resources.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously?

Absolutely. No question in my mind.

Any team could find a role for him. It's just a question of whether they would elect to play him.

Even Sydney and Hawthorn. When you look at the bottom 5-7 of any best 22 it's very easy in my mind to make way for Watts with his versatility and ability to play a number of positions/roles well.

Are people actually interested in Watts? 2-3 years ago, sure you could make the argument that he was a talented player who wasn't being developed right at a club with terrible infrastructure, but I think we've seen everything he is and everything he will be by now. Maybe, possibly, a change of scenery might wake him up and make him start fulfilling his potential but it's far more likely he'd spend his time here spudding it up in the VFL waiting for an injury to let him into the seniors.

It's the number one overall pick syndrome.

The public opinion is constantly you're a dud unless you're the best in the draft which rarely is the case with those number one overall picks.

Bryce Gibbs like Watts has similarly been unfairly criticised despite being a durable and consistently very good player from the start with a particularly terrific season this year where he thoroughly deserved to be in the AA squad of 40. And with Gibbs given his prowess from the start has never deserved any of the criticism that has come his way.

It's what you would give to get him that had eyes being raised. Watts isn't worth a first round pick anymore let alone adding heritier to the deal.

Reckon if you looked back, half the Crows BF crowd would have been sold on Tambling being worth a punt as well (not looking for a Watts vs Tambling debate - just undelivered potential being appealing).

If cheap (I.e. 3/4 round) - go for it.

If we put a 2nd round out for him, no matter how tempting, shame on us. Even as I write this I actually want Watts to come to us cos that stupid part of my brain says he could be a success, but I know we would regret it.

It's what you would give to get him that had eyes being raised. Watts isn't worth a first round pick anymore let alone adding heritier to the deal.

Dawes and Wellingham both attracted top 20 picks. Watts is a younger and better talent. I imagine he could do likewise.

Picks generally speaking are overvalued. It's a lottery. It's hoping you get the pick right. Watts is still worth a top 20 pick in my mind. Whether AFL clubs see it the same way is an unknown unless/until Watts does get dealt.

Melbourne are said to have largely everyone at the table for the right price. Given Watts was the number one overall selection my initial comments were based on Melbourne likely hoping for more than they are likely to attract - with clubs as a rule on the trade table wanting more than what the market suggests they could and as a result generally in the most part getting very few deals done unless motivated to do so.

Absolutely. No question in my mind.
Any team could find a role for him. It's just a question of whether they would elect to play him.
Even Sydney and Hawthorn. When you look at the bottom 5-7 of any best 22 it's very easy in my mind to make way for Watts with his versatility and ability to play a number of positions/roles well.

What position/role has he proven he can play at AFL level?

What position/role has he proven he can play at AFL level?

Forward flank, back flank, wing, key forward, key defender. He has played to a satisfactory standard in each position he has attempted.

It says on the AFL site that it has delisted him because of retirement. Maybe they can go "oops"...
Maybe they can. He most definitely on their list still though. They couldn't delist him officially until the season finished, and he informed them he was going to return to football before they did so.

They are 100% able to trade him.

Forward flank, back flank, wing, key forward, key defender. He has played to a satisfactory standard in each position he has attempted.

I openly admit to not having seen him play in 2014 [even on TV as I've been working weekends], but I'm pretty sure I've never seen him play to a satisfactory standard in the AFL - particularly in regards to the contested aspects of the game.
If he were to come to Collingwood, I wouldn't be dismayed, but...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back