Heathcote District FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The points is going to be an interesting one. Huntly and North have really struggled to attract juniors ( not 17’s) this year by all reports. So if they are severely impacted down the line because of their past struggles, will they push for maybe a points allowance. That’s why the points system may actually have a flaw or two? Thoughts.
On the umpires. Clubs in the district are paying top dollar for “administrators”. Not sure how many employees are in the Mundy st offices, but it’s rumoured there’s quite a few, and that the salaries are attractive. Do they maybe push more money to officiate, and really chase hard, former players from around here. Much the same clubs chase players, why couldn’t the umpire associations dangle a slightly better carrot?

Ill start this by stating the obvious that the below isn't about umpire bashing, more a want for some basic changes to improve the standard of the game. I know umpires are hard to get but seriously, I am at the point it would almost make sense to chase an ex player for each team and let them umpire the game and move on from where we are at present.....which is as below dire at best.

In regards to chasing umpires who have played previously, I agree that would help as from what I see the ones being supplied now to the HDFL don't have game sense,awareness and know how to control a game. Pay free kicks and stop balling the ball up as this would help immensely. In a contested pack, you can watch 2-3 free kicks not paid only for the late 4th one to be done. Its extremely frustrating.
I have watched the umpires coach officiate at a few games and I don't hold much hope for junior umpires if he is supposedly teaching them. He usually cant pay a free kick in the forward line but is more than happy to pay the same one in the backline. JUST PAY THEM ANYWHERE ON THE GROUND. CONSISTENCY IS A GREAT START!
Maybe a back to basics approach in which they state we will umpire this way and pay every free we see and get some right and wrong. We aren't asking for perfection just to get it right maybe 50% of the time. At present it would be lucky to be 25%........and that's being kind.
On the payment scale I believe they are pretty well paid now and a major cost on match day for the clubs involved. Don't have any issues with paying more but the standard has to lift drastically and quickly. The old adage is "you get what you pay for". At present we are paying for a Mercedes and getting a goggo mobil.
RANT OVER.

Ill start this by stating the obvious that the below isn't about umpire bashing, more a want for some basic changes to improve the standard of the game. I know umpires are hard to get but seriously, I am at the point it would almost make sense to chase an ex player for each team and let them umpire the game and move on from where we are at present.....which is as below dire at best.

In regards to chasing umpires who have played previously, I agree that would help as from what I see the ones being supplied now to the HDFL don't have game sense,awareness and know how to control a game. Pay free kicks and stop balling the ball up as this would help immensely. In a contested pack, you can watch 2-3 free kicks not paid only for the late 4th one to be done. Its extremely frustrating.
I have watched the umpires coach officiate at a few games and I don't hold much hope for junior umpires if he is supposedly teaching them. He usually cant pay a free kick in the forward line but is more than happy to pay the same one in the backline. JUST PAY THEM ANYWHERE ON THE GROUND. CONSISTENCY IS A GREAT START!
Maybe a back to basics approach in which they state we will umpire this way and pay every free we see and get some right and wrong. We aren't asking for perfection just to get it right maybe 50% of the time. At present it would be lucky to be 25%........and that's being kind.
On the payment scale I believe they are pretty well paid now and a major cost on match day for the clubs involved. Don't have any issues with paying more but the standard has to lift drastically and quickly. The old adage is "you get what you pay for". At present we are paying for a Mercedes and getting a goggo mobil.
RANT OVER.

I’d pay more, but only on the provisions that they entice some quality into the ranks e.g former players who are capable of officiating. Was it not agreed on that the BFL umpires were also going to be officiating HDFL games this year

RANT OVER.

Agree with GG, the umpiring in general is abysmal and I'm talking across the board here, not crying poor for my team. What we notice every week is the umpires are too old and slow to keep up with play and hence are just running up and down the corridor and attempting to make decisions from there even if the play is on the wing. I reckon the average decision is made from 40+ metres away. It is also frustrating with the lack of decision making with the default decision to ball it up irrelevant if a bloke has his head removed etc.

On what grounds? Hardly likely to have any effect on a club being a twos coach would it? Who was coach?

So right now North Bendigo looks likely the team to beat. Big game this week with North V Huntly. A week later LG V Colbo. Could be massive weeks for who finishes 4th and doesnt get the double chance.

Early question who plays off in the GF?

So right now North Bendigo looks likely the team to beat. Big game this week with North V Huntly. A week later LG V Colbo. Could be massive weeks for who finishes 4th and doesnt get the double chance.

Good that Lucky scored a good win over Huntly as well because the sides outside the 5 are miles off . I think Leitchy will be there again and maybe North again. The League will be hoping another team can break the mould.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've still got LG as the team to beat when it comes to finals. Suited to Huntly's oval.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this week's finals series. I haven't seen much but my guess is that Leitchville-Gunpowder will beat Huntly by 20 points and Colbo will beat LBU by 10 points.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this week's finals series. I haven't seen much but my guess is that Leitchville-Gunpowder will beat Huntly by 20 points and Colbo will beat LBU by 10 points.

I agree on game one. Reckon without Hon playing LBU are a good chance to roll Colbo.

Seems the wheels have well and truly fallen off out at Huntly. Watching today, it seems that all the in house confidence they had early on this year, is definitely done and dusted. A fair reflection of when the going gets tough, the tough get going, and they well had truely didn’t have too many getting their hands dirty once things started going south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back