Hello from USA

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention the string of terrible away jumpers they've worn. The chevrons were hailed as a refreshing return to sanity by comparison. The best part? The chevron jumpers were designed by a 7-year-old girl, doing at a stroke what a gaggle of design firms failed spectacularly at. Speaking of failing spectacularly, you need to know that Port hold the league record for worst Grand Final loss, a staggering 119-point drubbing in 2007. Not that a Collingwood fan like me can talk, what with us holding the record for most Grand Final losses, managing to blow it on no less than 26 separate occasions.

EDIT: By the way, we're getting all of these jumpers from the excellent http://footyjumpers.com , which is an awesome site which you should go to at once.

Nothing happened in the world in 2007, so lets just forgot that year ever existed. :oops:

Because it asked me to make a choice and I only had what was in front of me to pick from. Collingwood seemed to be on their game much more than N. Melbourne, so that's why I picked them. Although, I must say your Cowgirls reference gives me pause, I'm NOT a cowboys fan by any stretch.

Welcome to the board and Aussie Rules.

Nothing wrong with Collingwood mate don't let the haters turn you off the biggest team in Aus.:thumbsu:

Edit: See you made your choice with Port all the best with it.

Last edited:
Thanks, speq!

I'll check out that Wiki right now. Sometimes reading rules verbage gets my eyes crossed and my mind spun a bit, so I may have more questions yet. Thanks again for the info.

To add to that the umps will blow their whistle to indicate a free kick or a stop in play as well, it is basically to stop the players continuing on with play.

Probably one of the most memorable moments in recent history between Port Adelaide and Adelaide.

Still gives me goose bumps reliving that game.

* you man, now I have goose bumps, or what Americans know as "Goose Pimples".

Goose bumps as defined: "Goose bumps, also called goose flesh, goose pimples, the medical term cutis anserina, are the bumps on a person's skin at the base of body hairs which may involuntarily develop when a person is cold or experiences strong emotions such as fear, nostalgia, pleasure, euphoria, awe, admiration and sexual arousal."

Sad part is, I dont know which emotion I felt. :(

Welcome to the board and Aussie Rules.

Nothing wrong with Collingwood mate don't let the haters turn you off the biggest team in Aus.:thumbsu:

Edit: See you made your choice with Port all the best with it.

Thanks mate, no bad feeling against Collingwood, I like 'em just fine. My heart just told me to root for the squad that really made me take notice of your game. Best to you and the 'Pies.

...errr I mean barrack

Last edited:
I'm guessing our American friend hasn't seen the mighty Richmond Tigers play yet? otherwise he'd of picked us cause we have the best colours, and theme song in the comp ;)

although we play like shite most the time.. haha

welcome to bigfooty and the AFL!

• Love is perhaps too strong of a word for my relationship with Collingwood. I marked them out of necessity to join this board and at that time were one of only 4 clubs that I'd seen play. 2 I could remember the names: Collingwood and North Melbourne, and 2 that I could not recall the club names. Well, thanks to one of your members sparking a memory, I've discovered one of the other teams that I'd seen first: Port Adelaide. It was Port Adalaide who kept pulling me back to the screen with the beauty of their kicks and marks that evening, and it was them who I had in mind when I decided to actually watch Aussie Footy as an anticipated event, rather than just flipping in to it, saying to myself "well I could do that" (nasty, vulgar lies, all of 'em!) and then flippin over to watch Gilligans Island or Perry Mason. So it's looking more and more that I'm a Port Adalaide Power fellow after all. And if I really consider it with most other teams I've barracked for
  • I'm not crazy about their kit, with the chevron thing in front, just doesn't quite do it for me. That's nothing new for me and teams, I'm quite fickle when it comes to uniforms.
  • Not crazy about the song either, but can live with it
  • There is that kicking the ball thing
  • Ive probably missed a couple, but essentially I'm saying that I seem to have developed a Man-Crush on The Port Adelaid Power and I reckon I'll be swapping out favorites. Sorry 'Pies, I imagine I'll barrack for you if the power goes out, which it won't, of course
You picked a great club mate welcome aboard :D

It was nice of Matt_TY to inform you of our biggest failure wasn't it, I could compile a list of Collingwood failures but it would be quicker to re-type the bible

Cheers :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say "go for Fremantle" but be warned: it's hard work supporting the underdog and they can be frustrating to watch!
We have an American supporter on here (GilG). He flew all the way from California to see Freo play in their first Grand Final, I met him at a pub in Melbourne a day or 2 before the game and was just amazed that this person that grew up and lived on the other side of the world fell in love with my team and got so involved and passionate to the point that he travelled all the way to Melbourne to see them play.
When i asked "what made you support Freo" he said that he'd naturally supported the underdog and likened it to supporting the Mets over the Yankees. He said something along the lines that he "saw this team that was the little brother in the west" a team that he said "was screaming for his love & support" or something like that (we'd both had a few beers haha).
So anyway just keep watching different teams, learn about them and their players and I'm sure you'll find a team to support.

I'd say "go for Fremantle" but be warned: it's hard work supporting the underdog and they can be frustrating to watch!
We have an American supporter on here (GilG). He flew all the way from California to see Freo play in their first Grand Final, I met him at a pub in Melbourne a day or 2 before the game and was just amazed that this person that grew up and lived on the other side of the world fell in love with my team and got so involved and passionate to the point that he travelled all the way to Melbourne to see them play.
When i asked "what made you support Freo" he said that he'd naturally supported the underdog and likened it to supporting the Mets over the Yankees. He said something along the lines that he "saw this team that was the little brother in the west" a team that he said "was screaming for his love & support" or something like that (we'd both had a few beers haha).
So anyway just keep watching different teams, learn about them and their players and I'm sure you'll find a team to support.

I think most Americans, especially those getting into new sports, tend to root for the underdogs.

Then again, my brother is a Freo fan because the first time we watched AFL together, it was Cats/Freo, and he just wasn't willing to cheer for my team.

Also, I'm glad to hear there are other Americans who have made the pilgrimage.

I'm guessing our American friend hasn't seen the mighty Richmond Tigers play yet? otherwise he'd of picked us cause we have the best colours, and theme song in the comp ;)

although we play like shite most the time.. haha

welcome to bigfooty and the AFL!

Thanks for the welcome, Tigers are good, my High School were the Tigers.

I think most Americans, especially those getting into new sports, tend to root for the underdogs.

Then again, my brother is a Freo fan because the first time we watched AFL together, it was Cats/Freo, and he just wasn't willing to cheer for my team.

Also, I'm glad to hear there are other Americans who have made the pilgrimage.

True, I naturally tend towards the underdog myself, but skill is important as well. I'm still happy with my Port Adelaide choice, I just wish that the TV would show them more. Richmond vs. Melbourne about to come on now, then then Freo vs. Geelong on the tape after I've gone to bed. Time for Footy night in America!

True, I naturally tend towards the underdog myself, but skill is important as well. I'm still happy with my Port Adelaide choice, I just wish that the TV would show them more. Richmond vs. Melbourne about to come on now, then then Freo vs. Geelong on the tape after I've gone to bed. Time for Footy night in America!

Hopefully you will get to see the top of the ladder clash between Port Adelaide Vs Hawthorn next weekend.

Port and Hawthorn are in red hot form but the Hawks have been decimated with injuries and suspensions the last few rounds. Should still be a cracking game and could go either way.

Hopefully you will get to see the top of the ladder clash between Port Adelaide Vs Hawthorn next weekend.

Port and Hawthorn are in red hot form but the Hawks have been decimated with injuries and suspensions the last few rounds. Should still be a cracking game and could go either way.

Port have yet to lose at Adelaide Oval.... ever (includes that game against Melbourne a few years back).

You'll get to enjoy Pav kicking his 600th goal in his 300th game! Also look out for one of the goals of the year by little Hayden Ballentyne. Cracking game

We have five of the six spine players out injured of our 22 (full forward, center, rover, center-half back and full back). I think it would be a good time for a new Port fan to be able to see their team beat the reigning premiers, probably by a fair bit :oops:.

As you can tell I'm not too confident about next week, especially since we are playing you on your ground.

I've just checked the schedule and I get this one! (as long as the girls softball doesn't run too late! :rolleyes: )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back