HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I agree with that Sam42. Having said that Portland proved in the first quarter they can match it with any side if they bring the intensity and ferocious attack on the ball they had in the first quarter on Saturday.
Warrnambool continually turned it over and made mistakes under that pressure, except for Rowan.
From the second quarter onwards though they were far to good. Portland definitely need a key forward, they also need to look after the local players so they don't lose anymore.

From what most people are saying around the league is the Maskell a two horse race between Rowan and Hinkley??

New to the forum. How are the two new clubs going? Portland and Hamilton?

Both clubs have been really competive at times and very ordinary at other times. Second year in we don't expect miracles but finals is a possibility for Portland this season still, Hamilton would need to grab a couple of wins in the next couple of weeks to hold onto the 5. It's great for the competition to have them both. Give both clubs a couple of years and they could be contending.

Both clubs have been really competive at times and very ordinary at other times. Second year in we don't expect miracles but finals is a possibility for Portland this season still, Hamilton would need to grab a couple of wins in the next couple of weeks to hold onto the 5. It's great for the competition to have them both. Give both clubs a couple of years and they could be contending.
Portland have a history of winning the odd flag here and there so yes one would expect them to find their feet and start pushing. Would be great to see Portland vs Warnambool if a few years time. Would they play that at Hamilton or Mortlake?

Portland have a history of winning the odd flag here and there so yes one would expect them to find their feet and start pushing. Would be great to see Portland vs Warnambool if a few years time. Would they play that at Hamilton or Mortlake?

Yep would be great! It would be played at The Reid Oval, will never be moved from there, it's where the people and most clubs want it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tips for today!

Camperdown to take care of South at The Leura Oval. Playing some good footy again the Pies and should get over the line here. 35 point winners.

Cobden to have a win at home over the terrible travelers Portland. Could go either way if Portland can pull it together away from home. Cobden by 30 points.

North Warrnambool at Bushfield have a task ahead of them to contain Hamilton. Both teams riddled with changes and injuries. Could be a draw this one! I will tip NW by 6 points.

Warrnambool should destroy Port Fairy at the Reid. The Blues are flying. Wbool by 85 points.

Koroit take on Terang Mortlake at home and the Saints form has been solid. They should continue this today against an inconsistent TM. Koroit by 23 points.

[QUOTEis "HampdenMAD, post: 33413766, member: 128399"]Is there a article in the Observer Sam42? I would assume the Standard rang Jake for comment.[/QUOTE]
There Is an article in the Portland Paper..not a scathing one like the Standard article. No quotes from Jake.

[QUOTEis "HampdenMAD, post: 33413766, member: 128399"]Is there a article in the Observer Sam42? I would assume the Standard rang Jake for comment.
There Is an article in the Portland Paper..not a scathing one like the Standard article. No quotes from Jake.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I would say the Observer hasn't asked jake for comment. Otherwise it would of said Jake declined to comment. Good stuff Sam42. Jake clearly not a happy man.

How about the upcoming games this weekend? Portland vs koroit at Portland and North Warrnambool vs South at South. Unlike last year Portland and South could very well win these games.
How close and how good is the Hampden League this season? Who's your picks fellas?

Cant wait for the Portland v Koroit game. Portland big win away this week and Koroit just fell in. Tigers tough to beat at home. Should be a cracker. North v South will be an intriguing game with the young South side showing plenty of promise this season. If Tigers and South win they will give their finals hopes a real boast. HFNL season proving a cracker so far.

Last edited:
Big games indeed! Portland v Koroit definitely match of the round! Koroit have been still strong this season despite being written off early by many. They have refreshed the side with some youngsters and some ressies players who have stood up. I have a feeling the Koroit surprises haven't ended yet. Whispers of a Liam McLaren and Andrew Foster comeback are still circulating. If anyone can keep us guessing it's Adam Dowie. In saying that this is a huge test for both clubs. It's a massive opportunity for Portland to claim a big scalp at home and to move them into a real finals possibility, a great win last week away against a fledgling Cobden Bombers, I'm not sure the old fashioned berrating and big verbal sprays are working for Trunk Hammond this year. Portland really need to back the win up and knock over Koroit but it will be a very close game. The backline of Portland really worries me against the height of Koroit and I think this will be the point of exposure for the Saints. Portlands Mids need to give their forwards some precise delivery this Saturday if they want to take the 4 points. Without seeing the teams ins and outs I'm weighing to the Koroit Saints by less than 2 goals.

South Warrnambool v North Warrnambool at Rd.1 wouldn't of had an eyebrow raised amongst the football public but heading into Rd.9 it's likely to be a season shaping game for both sides for different reasons. South need the win to carry on momentum and to put a gap between them and the bottom sides, also to help keep them in the 5. North need the win to possibly move to equal 2nd if Koroit lose also to possibly put themselves 2 games ahead of the chasing pack and cement 3rd for at least a couple weeks if not possibly for the season if all things went they way they could. The interesting thing is North will regain Adam Wines and Dean Gavin forcing two players out, possibly one being Mark Murphy with a knee injury. That would be crushing for the Eagles as he leads their goal kicking for the season. South on the other hand will be reasonably unchanged one would think and that's great for them. The only thing counting against them this week is youthful exuberance usually only gets you so far before having a reality check. North is likely to be this reality check. I think before seeing the sides that North Warrnambool will this one by a good margin but we all know how well my tips are going this season.

The rest of the games -

Hamilton Kangaroos v Warrnambool Blues - Can't see Hamilton matching it with the Premiers even at home. Warrnambool settled and flying. Warrnambool by lots.

Terang/Mortlake Bloods v Camperdown Magpies -
A very important game for both clubs to stay in touch with the top 5. Terang losing some players after this week to travel as they head to the World Cup in Brazil. It's a must win for the Bloods to start gathering some momentum. There's half a season to go and I'm reluctant to write the Bloods off just yet. Camperdown need to start to string together some form and will want to put this one to bed quickly and cruise to a win. Time for there senior gun players to stand up and show what the club means to them. I'm calling out Mahoney's, Clarke, Lucas, Bateman, Fitzgerald, Casey, Baker and Sinnot all great players who should have helped this team to more than two wins so far. I think Terang/Mortlake bounce back from a shocking loss and win this one.

Port Fairy Seagulls v Cobden Bombers -
This is built to be a close game based on the recent form of both sides. Cobden have been disappointing whereas Port Fairy have been improving after a good win against the Eagles two weeks ago. Port will always be a far better side with Hollmer in and that's not going to happen too often so someone needs to help out Robinson up fwd and stretch the Bombers. The Bombers have great players over the ground but haven't got the superstars needed to put sides away. Hinkley is by far the best player and carries the side and leads by example it's time now for Brody Mahony to lift to his previous years form, it's time some of the young fellas stand up and get back the running Cobden game that won them games of footy last season. Start winning the contested footy at the middle and give the fwds some chances. Could go either way this one but I'm feeling a red and black resurgence! Bombers to win!

Looking forward to a big weekend of footy and I'm heading to the South v North game this week Warrnambool are away, so I ll have a big wrap up of it on Sunday.

Big games indeed! Portland v Koroit definitely match of the round! Koroit have been still strong this season despite being written off early by many. They have refreshed the side with some youngsters and some ressies players who have stood up. I have a feeling the Koroit surprises haven't ended yet. Whispers of a Liam McLaren and Andrew Foster comeback are still circulating. If anyone can keep us guessing it's Adam Dowie. In saying that this is a huge test for both clubs. It's a massive opportunity for Portland to claim a big scalp at home and to move them into a real finals possibility, a great win last week away against a fledgling Cobden Bombers, I'm not sure the old fashioned berrating and big verbal sprays are working for Trunk Hammond this year. Portland really need to back the win up and knock over Koroit but it will be a very close game. The backline of Portland really worries me against the height of Koroit and I think this will be the point of exposure for the Saints. Portlands Mids need to give their forwards some precise delivery this Saturday if they want to take the 4 points. Without seeing the teams ins and outs I'm weighing to the Koroit Saints by less than 2 goals.

South Warrnambool v North Warrnambool at Rd.1 wouldn't of had an eyebrow raised amongst the football public but heading into Rd.9 it's likely to be a season shaping game for both sides for different reasons. South need the win to carry on momentum and to put a gap between them and the bottom sides, also to help keep them in the 5. North need the win to possibly move to equal 2nd if Koroit lose also to possibly put themselves 2 games ahead of the chasing pack and cement 3rd for at least a couple weeks if not possibly for the season if all things went they way they could. The interesting thing is North will regain Adam Wines and Dean Gavin forcing two players out, possibly one being Mark Murphy with a knee injury. That would be crushing for the Eagles as he leads their goal kicking for the season. South on the other hand will be reasonably unchanged one would think and that's great for them. The only thing counting against them this week is youthful exuberance usually only gets you so far before having a reality check. North is likely to be this reality check. I think before seeing the sides that North Warrnambool will this one by a good margin but we all know how well my tips are going this season.

The rest of the games -

Hamilton Kangaroos v Warrnambool Blues - Can't see Hamilton matching it with the Premiers even at home. Warrnambool settled and flying. Warrnambool by lots.

Terang/Mortlake Bloods v Camperdown Magpies -
A very important game for both clubs to stay in touch with the top 5. Terang losing some players after this week to travel as they head to the World Cup in Brazil. It's a must win for the Bloods to start gathering some momentum. There's half a season to go and I'm reluctant to write the Bloods off just yet. Camperdown need to start to string together some form and will want to put this one to bed quickly and cruise to a win. Time for there senior gun players to stand up and show what the club means to them. I'm calling out Mahoney's, Clarke, Lucas, Bateman, Fitzgerald, Casey, Baker and Sinnot all great players who should have helped this team to more than two wins so far. I think Terang/Mortlake bounce back from a shocking loss and win this one.

Port Fairy Seagulls v Cobden Bombers -
This is built to be a close game based on the recent form of both sides. Cobden have been disappointing whereas Port Fairy have been improving after a good win against the Eagles two weeks ago. Port will always be a far better side with Hollmer in and that's not going to happen too often so someone needs to help out Robinson up fwd and stretch the Bombers. The Bombers have great players over the ground but haven't got the superstars needed to put sides away. Hinkley is by far the best player and carries the side and leads by example it's time now for Brody Mahony to lift to his previous years form, it's time some of the young fellas stand up and get back the running Cobden game that won them games of footy last season. Start winning the contested footy at the middle and give the fwds some chances. Could go either way this one but I'm feeling a red and black resurgence! Bombers to win!

Looking forward to a big weekend of footy and I'm heading to the South v North game this week Warrnambool are away, so I ll have a big wrap up of it on Sunday.
Good work HampdenMad. Enjoy reading your match predictions.

Read a tweet on Saturday saying they thought that Melville oval in Hamilton would be a good place to hold a hnfl final this season. Pretty fair comment I thought. Well not according to Cobden and North warrnambool football netball clubs. They were saying the travel was to much!
Are they joking? Why should the Hamilton and portland players and supporters travel over there all the time?
Fairs fair guys, you wanted us in your competition so both Melville oval and hanlon park should host hnfl finals.

Read a tweet on Saturday saying they thought that Melville oval in Hamilton would be a good place to hold a hnfl final this season. Pretty fair comment I thought. Well not according to Cobden and North warrnambool football netball clubs. They were saying the travel was to much!
Are they joking? Why should the Hamilton and portland players and supporters travel over there all the time?
Fairs fair guys, you wanted us in your competition so both Melville oval and hanlon park should host hnfl finals.

I think if Hamilton and Portland are involved in finals then by all means let's have a final at either ground, but in the end the HFNL needs to make money and cater to needs of clubs. There is no reason to send 2 Warrnambool sides to Portland or Hamilton for a finals game of football. Doesn't make sense. If Portland was involved then send that final to Hamilton and vice versa. But the crowds need to rally behind that at Portland and Hamilton or it will be short lived. The crowds around Warrnambool during finals are very impressive most of the time. I think a Portland v Koroit final at Melville Oval would be a ripper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back