Hierarchy of footy sin

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't they? They don't have to be seen to cutting players, sacking coaches and support staff, replacing the administrators, bringing in new board members?

No, they don't. They just can't think of other ways to assure members.

A few more sausage sizzles are all that is needed!

In no particular order.
Peds
Cola
Salary cap rorts
Pokies
Tanking
If the AFL had any INTEGRITY they could sort out these problems in they wanted, but in my opinion they choose not to. I'm afraid the people running AF nowadays say one thing and do another.
I wish someone at AFL house had a dictionary and looked up the word INTEGRITY and then they would understand what the word meant.

Integrity is something you assume most people have.
When you become aware of how empty and callous those who hold positions of authority are in sport, it rearranges your world.

Business or the brand are weak excuses for unethical behaviour. If the media is the only arbiter and you gag them to protect your greed and ugly ways, how do you rationalise your life?

In no particular order.
Peds
Cola
Salary cap rorts
Pokies
Tanking
If the AFL had any INTEGRITY they could sort out these problems in they wanted, but in my opinion they choose not to. I'm afraid the people running AF nowadays say one thing and do another.
I wish someone at AFL house had a dictionary and looked up the word INTEGRITY and then they would understand what the word meant.

Write to your Club President.

AFL House is not to blame. Vlad and Fitz are not to blame. They are doing exactly what the Clubs pay them to do. The Clubs set up the AFL to their own design, and willingly surrendered their powers. And do not be in any doubt the Clubs - yours mine everybody's - heartily approve of the way the AFL conducts itself.

They keep awarding pay rises. Until now they take it like good little chaps when it's their turn to get a smack. And now - they vote 17 nil against the Club which decides it doesn't have to play the game.

AFL House is not to blame. Vlad and Fitz are not to blame. They are doing exactly what the Clubs pay them to do. The Clubs set up the AFL to their own design, and willingly surrendered their powers. And do not be in any doubt the Clubs - yours mine everybody's - heartily approve of the way the AFL conducts itself.

They keep awarding pay rises. Until now they take it like good little chaps when it's their turn to get a smack. And now - they vote 17 nil against the Club which decides it doesn't have to play the game.
It might help then it they stopped using the word Integrity.
I'm pretty sure most clubs aren't happy about the cola. or tanking. Salary caps rorts i agree is a hard thing to address for obvious reasons. Pokies or any sort of gambling is in my opinion a terrible thing. It ruin's lives.
Enough has been said about peds so no further comment there.
It seems to me and many others that as soon as there is even a slight wiff of a scandal Fat Andy and Fitz get the brooms out and look for the nearest rugs. Instead of manning up and dealing with the problem.
I'm just sick and tired of hearing these and others keep mentioning the word integrity when to me they don't know the meaning of the word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you certain every club knows every detail about what lives under the carpet and how it got there?

If they found out, are you certain every club would approve?

If they did disapprove could they safely speak up?

If Abraham Lincoln or a modern equivalent was in charge, would the carpet exist?

Are you certain every club knows every detail about what lives under the carpet and how it got there?

If they found out, are you certain every club would approve?

If they did disapprove could they safely speak up?

If Abraham Lincoln or a modern equivalent was in charge, would the carpet exist?

I'm pretty sure they know enough.

The arrangement suits Clubs fine. Whether they know in detail, whether they dislike certain details or policies they do know about. The sweeping gets done, and the Clubs don't get their hands dirty.

Think along the lines of player managers. "Don't ask me about why I'm holding out for more money / leaving for more money. I want to concentrate on playing footy. Ask my manger.

The Club / AFL relationship has some similarities.

The arrangement suits Clubs fine. Whether they know in detail, whether they dislike certain details or policies they do know about. The sweeping gets done, and the Clubs don't get their hands dirty.

Think along the lines of player managers. "Don't ask me about why I'm holding out for more money / leaving for more money. I want to concentrate on playing footy. Ask my manger.

What if innocent people suffered?

So what you believe is that the collective is all important? Like good and compliant citizens, the clubs bow. They don't care how it is done so long as some else does it. Morality is something half remembered - a childhood memory. Their excuse? Footy's a business. That must explain it all.

So not one club:
  • has empathy or conscience
  • thinks independently
  • dreams of a better code.
So long as someone does the dirty work.

How do you know this Laphroaig? Are you employed to push the collective propaganda? Or is it just observation?

If the code is about courage and mateship, why do clubs settle for such limp and compromised lives?

The problem with this scheme is that it will inevitably descend until real leaders demand better.

1. Institutionalised racism. (Hawthorn and Collingwood were guilty of this in their recruiting, or Carlton with their President insisting that Syd Jackson play the "Racist card" so he could undeservingly play in a GF)

2. Severe umpire abuse/intimidation/bribery (Like Carlton fans invading Princes Park in 1902 and jostling and kicking the umpire.)

3. Match fixing (Like Carlton players Bongo Lang, Doug Gillespie and Doug Fraser)

4. Salary cap cheating, particularly "deliberate, elaborate and sophisticated" breaches of the salary cap(Like Carlton during 2000 and 2001 season)

5. Unwarranted violence on the field (Like the 1945 "Bloodbath" Grand final, with Carlton and the Swans)

6. Drug cheating, particularly if it is sanctioned by the club. I'm not sure if Essendon's offences actually count as I think they were more likely "pushing the envelope" rather than outright cheating.

So what you believe is that the collective is all important? Like good and compliant citizens, the clubs bow. They don't care how it is done so long as some else does it. Morality is something half remembered - a childhood memory. Their excuse? Footy's a business. That must explain it all.

So not one club:
  • has empathy or conscience
  • thinks independently
  • dreams of a better code.
So long as someone does the dirty work.

How do you know this Laphroaig? Are you employed to push the collective propaganda? Or is it just observation?

If the code is about courage and mateship, why do clubs settle for such limp and compromised lives?

The problem with this scheme is that it will inevitably descend until real leaders demand better.

How's the view from the moral high ground?

I'm not making a judgment, ethical, societal or otherwise. I'm not thumping an agenda. I'm pointing out what is.

If you can think of a better explanation why Club after Club over the years has taken their whacks with no more than a token whimper I'm all ears. If you can think of a better explanation why 17 Clubs monstered the first one to buck that trend, likewise.

How's the view from the moral high ground?

I'm not making a judgment, ethical, societal or otherwise. I'm not thumping an agenda. I'm pointing out what is.

If you can think of a better explanation why Club after Club over the years has taken their whacks with no more than a token whimper I'm all ears. If you can think of a better explanation why 17 Clubs monstered the first one to buck that trend, likewise.

The moral high ground? No, I am too tired for that.

An agenda? Yes. My agenda is simple - a player who did nothing wrong but is paying for those who did and has no voice.

I want a better code. Clubs who are so afraid that they can't speak up about wrongdoing isn't healthy. It isn't a scheme for a strong future.

Just because it is, isn't any reason for it to remain the same.

If you know something is wrong, you have the right to fight for something better.

If you accept it and turn a blind eye, you are complicit and encourage it.

The moral high ground? No, I am too tired for that.

An agenda? Yes. My agenda is simple - a player who did nothing wrong but is paying for those who did and has no voice.

I want a better code. Clubs who are so afraid that they can't speak up about wrongdoing isn't healthy. It isn't a scheme for a strong future.

Just because it is, isn't any reason for it to remain the same.

If you know something is wrong, you have the right to fight for something better.

If you accept it and turn a blind eye, you are complicit and encourage it.

Well I repeat my opinion.

The Code is not at fault if it is administered poorly or cynically.

If looking at those who administer poorly or cynically, look too at your own Club.

And - the assumption that players "did nothing wrong" is convenient for us all for we wish to believe so. The rational side of my nature has its doubts.

Well I repeat my opinion.

The Code is not at fault if it is administered poorly or cynically.

If looking at those who administer poorly or cynically, look too at your own Club.

And - the assumption that players "did nothing wrong" is convenient for us all for we wish to believe so. The rational side of my nature has its doubts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back