Mega Thread Hird Appeal dismissed by Full bench of the Federal Court 30/1- Hird will not appeal. Details in OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PR HAD to change midstream, because the situation changed midstream.

The "phys edders" Dank and Robinson were originally to wear the black hats. When they wouldn't accept that and made public TV and Print threats, PR had to change.
I don't agree it had to change. Or, at least not in the manner it did.

I think if there is one thing non-Essendon and Essendon supporters would be in furious agreement on, it's that the PR strategies employed were awful.

But the point also is, if you change tack midstream, it gives off the unmistakable stench that you don't even believe half of what you're saying.

If you stick to one strategy- whether that be one stream of complete belligerence or complete submission/cooperation- it at least exudes some conviction, which in turn might mean some people maintain the benefit of the doubt.

Dithering and chopping and changing is disastrous.

Doss, i have often said that this saga was the tackle that not even Joel Selwood could wriggle out of.

People from both sides try to imply that there was an easy/easier way to do things and incompetency from people to "manage " the situation are to blame......but besides the truth, there was NO easy way.

Once the ACC catch you red handed and it is announced to the whole country...you are in a world of hurt.

Vlad, Evans and Hird(in conjunction with them, and then alone) thought that they could handle this while hiding the truth. But it hasn't panned out that way.

an understandable tactic that may have kept fans onside during the saga, but will result in a far greater loss of faith should player bans result

I couldn't agree more mexxxy.

But they always give it a try in these situations.

That's why we are infested with spin everywhere and the public has no faith in just about anyone these days.

I think if there is one thing non-Essendon and Essendon supporters would be in furious agreement on, it's that the PR strategies employed were awful.

Well i would say they inevitably were, yes.

But the blame is not the spinners, the blame is the instigators of the problem that was too large and too egrarious for the spinners to be successful.

Well i would say they inevitably were, yes.

But the blame is not the spinners, the blame is the instigators of the problem that was too large and too egrarious for the spinners to be successful.
Probably, but the spinners managed to exacerbate its severity in my view.

I couldn't agree more mexxxy.

But they always give it a try in these situations.

That's why we are infested with spin everywhere and the public has no faith in just about anyone these days.
Well I for one will be absolutely furious if after spending 2 years putting faith in the club it all turns out to be a charade. It will take an enormous effort on their part for me to consider trusting the club again. The removal of every single person involved would be a start. I can handle mistakes, even the size of 2012, but not 2 years of lies about it

I actually don't mind the Robbo article. Don't get me wrong, it's clear he's had a few pints beforehand, but he does give Jimmy a fair whack. Particularly with the tennis score analogy and the contempt shown to him by the judges (which we otherwise wouldn't know about).

He then spoke from a Hird perspective, which was a pretty romanticised view, but echoes the public statements. I suspect Hird is more grasping at straws because he knows he's stuffed.

It's no Walkley winner but for once he has told it like it is.

#UnpopularOpinionsThread
The tennis score analogy pretty much shows up where Robbo gets a fair bit of his material - I seem to recall the change from cricket to tennis scores (even the 6-0 6-0 6-0) mentioned on B/F - possibly even this thread. Maybe lost royalties need to be looked at a la 'Land down under / Kookaburra -gum tree style....... "won't back down" ?

James Hird was the reason for the PR change in direction.

Vlad and Evans realised, sensibly(if not cynically) that someone(s) internally at Essendon had to wear the Black Hat for an Essendon problem.

Originally that was to be Dank and Robinson. But they publicly threatened them with the truth. They were then untouchable.

Vlad and Evans then realised (reluctantly) after more and more was coming out that Hird would have to wear the Black Hat.

Hird also refused to accept the Black Hat.

And that is where the PR HAD to change course markedly. Because no-one internally would take the rightful blame.

The blame THEN had to be shifted externally. And under Hird's guidance, Evans went under the bus, Little was co=opted, and the blame went external. It went to ASADA and the AFL, who until then were partners with them.

Probably, but the spinners managed to exacerbate its severity in my view.
I worked in PR for a number of years handling government relations, issues and crisis management and had member based organisations and corporate clients - there's no way that the PR advisors acted without instructions from their client.

Well I for one will be absolutely furious if after spending 2 years putting faith in the club it all turns out to be a charade. It will take an enormous effort on their part for me to consider trusting the club again. The removal of every single person involved would be a start. I can handle mistakes, even the size of 2012, but not 2 years of lies about it

a good place to start would be not trusting anything that comes out of the club, not just your club any club. They are not community organisations anymore, they are money making ventures.

The whole making the members feel part of the club is a marketing ploy, I have as much trust in a club spokesperson as I do a McDonald's spokesperson, their objectives are the same, brand management.

Just like McDonald's likes to highlight its community initiatives, so to do clubs like to promote unity with its members. But both are just designed to make us feel good while they separate us from our money.

It's not a sporting competition anymore, it's a sports entertainment business.

Well it just got lower again.....and he is the Chief Football Writer for News Ltd...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ja...es-mark-robinson/story-fndv7pj3-1227202676160

"IT’S the vibe. It’s Mabo. It’s Hird.

For most of us, our relationship with the High Court of Australia comes from watching The Castle.

It’s in Canberra. It’s wigs and silks. And judges — and there could be up to seven of them sitting in judgment — are a bunch of crusty old people who look after the little people."
The entire article is simply vomitus. What is this excrement?

Oh…I get it, it's the plight of the common man, the little man V the big bad establishment. Big bad nasty ASADA and AFL fighting one little man. Those bullies! It matters not what the little man has been up to, he's fighting the big guys, so somehow the hope is that we dive into the closet and pull out the old tie-dyes and sandals and go stick a flower in ASADA and AFL's rifle barrel.

FFS FMD.

It's staggering to watch how the PR spin from the club has utterly duped the membership and reduced them to a passive participant. It's quite an impressive feat.

It's also totally baffling how such a large supporter base sat by and allowed these egocentric freaks to totally trash the club and its heritage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo has gone full ******

dirty-funny-photos-21.jpg

Well it just got lower again.....and he is the Chief Football Writer for News Ltd...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ja...es-mark-robinson/story-fndv7pj3-1227202676160

"IT’S the vibe. It’s Mabo. It’s Hird.

For most of us, our relationship with the High Court of Australia comes from watching The Castle.

It’s in Canberra. It’s wigs and silks. And judges — and there could be up to seven of them sitting in judgment — are a bunch of crusty old people who look after the little people."

hahaha, incredible stuff.

my personal favourite was this quote

The judges didn’t even bother shaking his hand at the end, such was their contempt for the arguments made by Hird’s legal team.

nevermind hird not even bothing to turn up

I see no login in the acceptability to the EFC.

If the AFLPA had any shred of an ethical standard (no much seen in the AFL) they would focus more on the education of players and less on changes to contract to make PED use safer for players.

Agree completely with the bolded.

Re the first point, it will be seen to be in everyone's interests if AFL football can move forward with something approaching a normal season with all clubs participating. That will require the ASADA process to continue and for any punishment to be seen as appropriate and fair, and a clean start to be possible for Essendon if it can stomach the potentially harsh sanctions.
It's members won't allow a total castration, they'd rather fight in the courts forever - feeding the stench surrounding AFL footy for all of us - than be beaten down to uncompetitiveness.

Agree completely with the bolded.

Re the first point, it will be seen to be in everyone's interests if AFL football can move forward with something approaching a normal season with all clubs participating. That will require the ASADA process to continue and for any punishment to be seen as appropriate and fair, and a clean start to be possible for Essendon if it can stomach the potentially harsh sanctions.
It's members won't allow a total castration, they'd rather fight in the courts forever - feeding the stench surrounding AFL footy for all of us - than be beaten down to uncompetitiveness.

So it's good enough for St.Kilda to rack up the spoons but beneath the efc supporters to sit on the bottom of the ladder for an extended period .
They really are in for a severe dose of reality ...

It's not the clubs fault mxett, it's the boards fault in putting the wrong people in charge. You need to clean out the board and those it appointed (or were too scared to sack). An all new board and coaching panel. You should then put all your support behind them. They will need all the supporters help. The faster that is done the better.

It's not the clubs fault mxett, it's the boards fault in putting the wrong people in charge. You need to clean out the board and those it appointed (or were too scared to sack). An all new board and coaching panel. You should then put all your support behind them. They will need all the supporters help. The faster that is done the better.
I agree but I find it difficult to see this happening AT.
At the recent Essendon election the 2 successful candidates were pro Hird.
The only way the club can regenerate in a positive manner is with a fresh start - but the members need to vote for this to happen.
The majority of members "hero worship" of Sir James is so great that unless Hirds image/reputation takes an extreme battering (unlikely given the hearing is closed to media) that status quo looks likely to remain.

I agree but I find it difficult to see this happening AT.
At the recent Essendon election the 2 successful candidates were pro Hird.
The only way the club can regenerate in a positive manner is with a fresh start - but the members need to vote for this to happen.
The majority of members "hero worship" of Sir James is so great that unless Hirds image/reputation takes an extreme battering (unlikely given the hearing is closed to media) that status quo looks likely to remain.
if players are banned this will change extremely quickly. However the entire truth of the case may need to come out first

if players are banned this will change extremely quickly. However the entire truth of the case may need to come out first
I understand your point mxett however I don't see how the truth will come out of a closed hearing.
Essendon will spin the head off any facts and attempt to blame ASADA/AFL instead for the "injustices" they and St James will suffer.
It will be a perpetuation of the "us v Vlad's cronies" story and Hird's reputation will be protected at all costs.
The members blind faith in St James will continue, the board will continue to support him (i.e. be too scared to sack him) and the stench emanating form EFC will continue

I understand your point mxett however I don't see how the truth will come out of a closed hearing.
Essendon will spin the head off any facts and attempt to blame ASADA/AFL instead for the "injustices" they and St James will suffer.
It will be a perpetuation of the "us v Vlad's cronies" story and Hird's reputation will be protected at all costs.
The members blind faith in St James will continue, the board will continue to support him (i.e. be too scared to sack him) and the stench emanating form EFC will continue
I think the majority of Hird supporters have been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until the players fates were known. If they are banned they will turn whether they think he was directly involved or not. If he isnt held accoutnable it will tear the club apart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back