Hird offered to quit the game

Remove this Banner Ad

That would have been the easy way out and totally the wrong thing to do.

Looking forward to many years of pain for EFC, especially on the boo-ing front.

That would have been the easy way out and totally the wrong thing to do.

Looking forward to many years of pain for EFC, especially on the boo-ing front.

Hird quitting would have been the easy way out?

Many of us have raised this plenty of times and been shouted down. Apparently he MUST quit to "take responsibility".

It would be interesting to hear the AFLs reasons for refusing this offer.

Would football fans have taken Essendon playing finals if it meant Hird was never to return?

He thinks it is just about him... its not.
If everyone thought it was hunky dory there is no reason why any punishment should have happened. But once this isn't the case then the players cant play finals and Hird needs to go. They are linked. Removing Hird doesn't make it ok with what the players took.

What a surprise... Hird trying to make himself out to be a hero.

How about he quit the game permanently NOW. He was the architect of one of the worst systematic drug doping and pharmaceutical player experiments gone wrong and he refuses to step down.

So, you're saying the punishment was predetermined?

No, he was saying that it was a precursor. Not predetermined. There's a difference.

They needed to have an interim report before they could even explore whether it was required to take action before the finals.

JH-"I'm a Hero"
PR Team-"My Lord,Public opinion outside of our sheep supporters see it very different."
JH-"Am i still in front of Rudd?"
PR-"If an election was held today,Rudd would win in a landslide"
JH-"How do we get back in front of Kev at least?"
PR-"Go to the media and tell them you would have stepped down if it meant the team would play finals"
JH-"Great idea,Will it work though?"
PR-"Why not.Its worked for the past 7 mnths"

What a surprise... Hird trying to make himself out to be a hero.

How about he quit the game permanently NOW. He was the architect of one of the worst systematic drug doping and pharmaceutical player experiments gone wrong and he refuses to step down.
are we talking AFL? Cos i could name twenty (outside australian rules) i know of that are worse.

The problem was that with Dank and Hird, they thought they could skirt the existing WADA laws, without having to take testosterone, and hgh, and steroids, so they would be free and easy. AND LEGAL. Dank was ignorant, the overarching tenets, were not voided when he justified that a peptide's biochem pathways to stimulate endogenous hormone production were no different to getting in a smith machine in the gym and loading up heavy for a squat.

Thing is, squat =/= ampoule barrell hypodermic.

squat aint injection innit?

but i could offer you a myriad of pro sporting teams that overtly contravened WADA with roids et al.

The peptides were not a problem for Demetriou until ACC finds out. AFL all about communications and controlling their integrity message. When the message and myth, in truth, is BS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are we talking AFL? Cos i could name twenty i know of that are worse.

The problem was that with Dank and Hird, they thought they could skirt the existing WADA laws, without having to take testosterone, and hgh, and steroids, so they would be free and easy. AND LEGAL. Dank was ignorant, the overarching tenets, were not voided when he justified that a peptide's biochem pathways to stimulate endogenous hormone production were no different to getting in a smith machine in the gym and loading up heavy for a squat.

Thing is, squat =/= apoule barrell hypodermic.

squat aint injection innit?

but i could offer you a myriad of pro sporting teams that overtly contravened WADA with roids et al.

The peptides were not a problem for Demetriou until ACC finds out. AFL all about communications and controlling their integrity message. When the message and myth, in truth, is BS.
You must never leave the HTB, blackcat. At least not until Chief finishes his 12 story extension with the advertising and closes this place down.

I would have preferred they stayed in the finals for selfish reasons
Same here, certainly easier to beat the Bombers than the Blues at this time of the year.

Essendon are tough until mid year then the over training and whatever else seems to wear off, Hird is really just an average coach with a lot of experienced support, not sure why the Essendon supporters are so enamoured with him?

Not if you have https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/account/upgrades ;) installed lol

It is rumored he also gets a weekly Thai massage by Caro in exchange for her being able to reproduce all information posted on BF.
I think it was all the correct info from other sources that helped bring down Hird. She has bitch slapped the club like no other club has been bitch slapped.

He just continues to give credence to the "I'm James ****ing Hird" theory.

Chances are the conversation went something like, "Look, I'll stand out of the game for good if you let the players play finals, and that's a pretty big offer from me, because as you know.....I'm James ******* Hird!".
Real life Kenny Powers!
kenny-powers.jpg

Same here, certainly easier to beat the Bombers than the Blues at this time of the year.

Essendon are tough until mid year then the over training and whatever else seems to wear off, Hird is really just an average coach with a lot of experienced support, not sure why the Essendon supporters are so enamoured with him?
Because they are not used to prolonged periods of no success. And he was the chosen one to take them out of this current malaise.

It happens to clubs from time to time. The supporters start to look to hero worship individuals when they are starved of team success. I argue this has been Footscray's problem for decades. They have had some outstanding players over that time, and those players have been placed on pedestals higher than the club itself, because the club hasn't succeeded in the one thing it exists for, which is to win flags. So the supporter base has to glorify someone, something!!

This is what Essendon supporters have done with Hird. He was a great player undoubtably. And after a decade of unfamiliar poor performance, they thought that this individual was going to be the answer. When in fact the whole organisation functioning properly at all levels is what achieves that ultimate success.

Too many thought that you add Hird and a few support staff and you have success. Hird probably got there and realised how far behind the club was in terms of performing at all levels and Bomber said as much last week on ch9. So he needed to find a short cut to keep up his reputation as a saviour. And 3 years later, here we are!

In my opinion Hird won't return as coach in 2015. If he actually offered to walk away for good I would say this was likely because he wouldn't be returning. I think the offer to extend the contract was more a 'look we are standing by Hird'. A bit of defiance from Little after having to accept the AF punishment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back