Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy classified took a "welcome to the world" attitude with that program. Neither Rebecca Wilson or Damian Barrett had any sympathy for the team and they said the message sent was that the players now have to realise that they are going to be held responsible and can not just fall back on saying I was told this was alright.
And that's the way it is

This has had a big affect on bookies already. You would be in clover if you had taken Essendon for least wins at $6. And the teams with Essendon twice have an easier run into the finals. Our flag odds have gone from $15 to $11.
A lot of unexpected money had been placed on Essendon before this ruling. Surprisingly, this was for an exceptionally good 2016 which, after their poor 2015 and uncertain status seemed a bit optimistic.

Sportsbet, owned by Irish giant Paddy Power, said it would refund all bets placed on Essendon for the 2016 season and said the besieged club has been wound out to $1001 from $67 to win the flag this year.
The betting firm said before Tuesday's surprise ruling there had been strong interest in Essendon's chances of taking the flag compared with last season's top eight teams and plenty of bets on the club winning its opening game against the Gold Coast on March 26.
"Surprisingly, there had been more money on Essendon to win the flag than the likes of 2015 top 8 teams Sydney, Richmond, Adelaide and North Melbourne," said a Sportsbet spokesman. "More than 90 percent of money was on the Bombers in their opening game against Gold Coast so punters didn't seem afraid to back them before today's announcement."
The market for Essendon finishing in the top eight places has been shut due to the odds being too low by both Tabcorp and William Hill while Sportsbet has suspended bets on who will post the least number of wins in the forthcoming season.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/gambling/bookmakers-face-afl-chaos-following-essendon-cas-verdict-20160112-gm464z?eid=cpc:nnn-14omn2224-optim-nnn:eek:utbrain-outbrain_paid-dom-displayad-nnn-afr-nnn&campaign_code=15caf010&promote_channel=sem&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid outbrain#ixzz3x26Oxxi2

Kochie calls Essendon claiming they never told us about the pending drug investigation:

It was better on the AFL Simpson page memeguy

Hang on. Mcveigh is coach at GWS. Is he going to have to step aside for 12 months?

Shame about all the bush league teams about to lose their coach for 12 months too. They probably won't even enforce the ban there, lol.

Ha, could you imagine Swiss investigators going on road trips to Dubbo to enforce bans on country coaches.

Essendon Promises Fans That Future Drug Use Will Be Performance Enhancing

“... We’re extremely sorry to fans and members of the club that illicit supplement use by our players has not resulted in any significant performance enhancement,” said club chairman Lindsay Tanner to a press conference. “We will ensure that any future drug use results in material gains for the club - or, ideally, one premiership ....”

Essendon Promises Fans That Future Drug Use Will Be Performance Enhancing

Obviously there's a squillion things out there today about the Bombers, but this joke article does pick out one important fact i.e. Essendon didn't appear to gain an iota of extra performance for their players. Apart from Jobe possibly losing his Brownlow there's not a record to be fixed, no titles to hand back.

Not entirely true - the footy Essendon played in the first half of 2012 was as good as they have played in the last 15 years or so. But then came the injuries, the injections ceased, and the rest as they say is history ...

Naturally I don't have background in this matter, regarding what occurred during the Ryder trade. If Port has enough evidences to prove that Essendon have misled them then why wouldn't they seek compensation. Just because we took a risk or stuck our heads in the sand. Doesn't change the situation if Port has evidences to prove they have been misled.

Please note I'm saying "if" as Port may have no evidences and therefore end of story.
It doesn't matter what Essendon said. We recruited Ryder in the full knowledge that ASADA had issued him with a show cause notice. We need to accept responsibility for that and not play the victim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what Essendon said. We recruited Ryder in the full knowledge that ASADA had issued him with a show cause notice. We need to accept responsibility for that and not play the victim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we took Paddy knowing he was under his cloud, in fact we wouldn't have got him if it weren't for the supplements program so we have to cop that. I would be curious to know though, how and why a core group at Essendon put pressure on the rest to go against their own club's advice (i.e. Port Bulldogs etc) as Kochie (fumingly) has suggested. Essendon (as a club) had much much more to lose than any other club by the players taking a no fault plea bargain but put pressure on the players to stick together and dragged this out. By them having dragged it out many of the original 34 have moved on or retired so less impact on the current Essendon playing group . I remember many back then suggesting it was not in the best interest of players such as Paddy and Gus to use the Essendon group lawyers as whose interests would they have at heart? Something is rotten in the State of Denmark?(Macbeth)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes we took Paddy knowing he was under his cloud, in fact we wouldn't have got him if it weren't for the supplements program so we have to cop that. I would be curious to know though, how and why a core group at Essendon put pressure on the rest to go against their own club's advice (i.e. Port Bulldogs etc) as Kochie (fumingly) has suggested. Essendon (as a club) had much much more to lose than any other club by the players taking a no fault plea bargain but put pressure on the players to stick together and dragged this out. By them having dragged it out many of the original 34 have moved on or retired so less impact on the current Essendon playing group . I remember many back then suggesting it was not in the best interest of players such as Paddy and Gus to use the Essendon group lawyers as whose interests would they have at heart? Something is rotten in the State of Denmark?(Macbeth)
Thats what im getting at , why would we pay em for a year when they decide to not do as our club wished , thereby lessening the adverse effects on their old club , but increasing them on us ? , cant say im all the way with LBJ on this.

God Damo is a ******* moron.

Caro: I think Essendon will end up paying Monfries wages in the end.
Damo: Why would Essendon pay that? Surely it's buyer beware.
Caro and Lloyd: Monfries moved before the drug saga came out.
Damo: Still buyer beware.

WOT?
As I posted earlier in this thread, caveat emptor, aka "buyer beware", does not apply in the case of a latent defect.

latent defect - a hidden flaw, weakness or imperfection in an article which a seller knows about, but the buyer cannot discover by reasonable inspection

Everyone is talking about how Essendon and the AFL want to do deals and settle before taking any cases for compensation to court.

I hope our players don't contemplate this. I want them to tell Essendon to * off. They wanted to deal, and the Bombers put out all the stops to ensure that they didn't. Well, the shoe is on the other foot now. I'd be taking these guys to the cleaners - take them to court so everyone knows exactly what they went thorough, the pressure that Essendon players and coaches put them under - first to keep it secret and then not to take a deal.

If Paddy and Gus want to make things right, they need to take this all the way to a judicial decision. Let's get everything out in the open. I think when people hear what really went on, those who have zero sympathy might find some. If they do a deal, they are copping a penalty while the AFL/Essendon who are also culpable get away with a relative slap on the wrist.

* Essendon.

I am 99.999% confident that Paddy and Gus just want to go back to a normal footballer life, which doesn't include prolonged legal action.

tbh the only legal action I expect to see is by players who have since been delisted.

I dont like Essendon.

At all.

I'm with you. It appears I am in a minority of two that are angry that 2 drug cheats lied, and hurt our club

We are either dirty dopers too, idiots for accepting their innocence please, or fools for paying them this year and not casting them out.

They were each the age of lance Armstrong when he won his first tour of France stage. These aren't boys.

They were paid hundreds of thousands of dollars based on their performance. They cheated the system, lied to asada on a stat dec, rejected our plea to take a plea, took hundreds of thousands from our club, caused 2 player spots to be cut to make room for their cheating drug improved arses, and now the truth has been exposed and we are doing the stand by them bullshit

Bullshit. If they didn't play for us we would be calling them filthy drug cheat maggots like we have always called hird and the essendon club through this..

I go back to Shaun burgoyne and the venom heaped on him for leaving our club. Well I don't recall him hurting us.

These guys did. and deliberately.

Our tolerance of this disgusting episode confirms to me we are on our own program and the afl is what I have been repeatedly told by those in the know, and that is a filthy cesspool of saucebags.

But yeah, don't engage me. #standbypaddy #standbyangus #standbyhird

I thought some of you actually loved the club. "I bleed port Adelaide" people say.

Go look in the mirror and wake up.

That is all. I've said it would play out exactly like this for 3 years and it did.

I don't know about most people, but I don't engage with you because I don't want to, not because I necessarily agree or disagree with your position.

I am not particularly pleased with Monfries or Ryder at this point.

I thought I heard last night that the CAS judges were split 2-2 on the decision. If that is the case then the maximum penalty appears to be very harsh indeed.

I am 99.999% confident that Paddy and Gus just want to go back to a normal footballer life, which doesn't include prolonged legal action.

tbh the only legal action I expect to see is by players who have since been delisted.

Yep. There is always uncertainty about taking a case all the way to judgment. If there is a reasonable offer, take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back