Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sports Integrity Australia is an oxymron like Military Intelligence or the genius of Ken Hinkley.
Happy Crow

Seriously now, but not much, Brazilian striker Gabriel (Flamengo) just got suspended for attempted anti-doping fraud.

He didn’t want to pee in front of the person collecting the samples. Basically, that’s a two-year suspension for hiding his d*ck.

Happy Crow

Seriously now, but not much, Brazilian striker Gabriel (Flamengo) just got suspended for attempted anti-doping fraud.

He didn’t want to pee in front of the person collecting the samples. Basically, that’s a two-year suspension for hiding his d*ck.

Willie Rioli in 2019 when he was playing for WCE had been smoking marijuana and thought if he pissed in the cup he would test positive to a match day in competition test, and be banned for 4 years so he poured a clean sample in a Gatorade bottle into the cup.

From his wiki page
In September 2019, Rioli received an indefinite provisional suspension under the AFL and Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority anti-doping code for an alleged adverse analytical finding for urine substitution. Rioli publicly admitted to having smoked marijuana with other club members the night before his drug test, and attempted to swap his tainted urine with a clean sample in a Gatorade bottle.[4] He was subsequently issued with an indefinite suspension from the AFL, and ruled out from competing with the West Coast Eagles in that year's Finals series.[5] Following a long anti-doping review by the AFL, Rioli was eventually handed a back-dated 2 year suspension in March 2021.[6][7]

Then in May 2021 the following happened. This is why I wasn't a fan of us recruiting him. He basically was too dumb. I thought we had enough dumb footballers in 2022 when we traded for him.

West Coast player Willie Rioli has avoided a conviction after pleading guilty at Darwin Magistrates Court to drug possession, with his lawyer saying he feels “shame, loss, humiliation and grief”. The 2018 premiership player was charged with “possessing a schedule 2 dangerous drug in a quantity less than trafficable (under 50 grams) in a public place”. He has been placed on a 12-month $500 good behaviour bond, with his lawyer Mark Thomas saying a conviction would have placed his AFL career in jeopardy.

Rioli was three months away from his scheduled return to football and set to train with West Coast from June 20. However the court heard Rioli “went to efforts” to conceal 24.2 grams of cannabis in a heavily taped package inside his shorts ahead of a flight to the Tiwi Islands. Thomas said Rioli wanted to give “a heartfelt apology to the West Coast Eagles for this offence”.

Rioli returned an adverse finding on a drugs test conducted by ASADA in 2019 and faced a ban of up to four years. Two weeks after that initial test, he returned a positive result for metabolite cannabis on a match day in September 2019. He was found guilty of three breaches of the AFL’s anti-doping code, two relating to tampering with a urine sample and one for the use of cannabis. His suspension was backdated.

He lucked out and only got a 2 year ban. The AFL anti doping panel only gave him 2 years and WADA and Sports Integrity Australia decided not to appeal, probably because dope has become a lot more accepted and the PED benefits on footy 24 hours later are probably non existent. From March 2021. Yes it took the AFL anti doping panel 18 months to hear his case. Partly because of Covid and partly because he was provisonally suspended they weren't in any rush.

Willie Rioli has escaped with a two-year AFL ban despite being found guilty of substituting his urine during two separate anti-doping drug tests. Rioli, who has been provisionally suspended since 12 September, 2019, was facing a ban of up to four years for the urine substitution charge. The football world had been made aware of Rioli’s urine substitution charge stemming from an out-of-competition test on 20 August, 2019.

But the AFL anti-doping tribunal dropped a bombshell on Thursday when they revealed Rioli had also tampered with his urine sample on 5 September, 2019 – a post-match anti-doping test in which he also tested positive to a metabolite of cannabis.

Rioli had faced an agonising 18-month wait to find out his fate and the two-year ban handed down by the AFL anti-doping tribunal on Thursday means the star goalsneak’s AFL career is still well and truly alive.

Sports Integrity Australia (formerly Asada) and the World Anti-Doping Agency decided against appealing the decision. The ban will be backdated to 20 August, 2019 – the day of the first infraction. It means Rioli can return to playing duties on 20 August this year. He will be allowed to train with West Coast from 20 June.

Last edited:
Wilkie wasn't able to table his documents in parliament today, Albo said he's not interested in doing anything about it, he said he will leave it to Sports Integrity Australia to do anything about it. Tonight SIA have decided to act.

Sport Integrity Australia says it will assess allegations around illicit drug tests in the AFL as the league admits it empowers club doctors to remove players from matches if they are at risk of testing positive on match day. SIA confirmed on Wednesday that it had begun an assessment of allegations made in Parliament by federal MP Andrew Wilkie.

AFL chief executive officer Andrew Dillon welcomed the action of SIA, adding that the league “encourages Mr Wilkie to pass on all the documents in his possession to SIA”.

Wilkie tried to table in Parliament signed statements detailing the allegations, but was refused permission. He referred to allegations made by “former Melbourne Football Club president Glen Bartlett, former Melbourne team doctor Zeeshan Arain, and Shaun Smith, father of Melbourne player ... Joel Smith”.

The AFL said it “looks forward to working with SIA and providing any information on the AFL illicit drug policy and its objectives and operation”.........................

Something that doesn’t seem to be considered here is the potential benefits of cocaine wrt training. Are players gaining extra aerobic capacity by being able to push themselves harder whilst under the influence?

Applying a narrow definition of “in competition” seems very flawed if an advantage for game day can be gained the day before.

On Talking Footy tonight Dr Peter Larkin talks about the dilemma club doctors have faced for over a decade on this issue and having to come up with an excuse to pull players out of games. Larkin starts at 2.01.

Something that doesn’t seem to be considered here is the potential benefits of cocaine wrt training. Are players gaining extra aerobic capacity by being able to push themselves harder whilst under the influence?

Applying a narrow definition of “in competition” seems very flawed if an advantage for game day can be gained the day before.
Cocaine before training can be of some benefit. Its a stimulant so it affects your dopamine levels and makes you feel euphoric and on a can do anything type high, but its very short term. Its why there are a whole lot of Stimulants on the WADA banned list, because they have a performance enhancing benefit, but some only on game day, ie a short period, some for a few days.

Pseudoephedrine is a stimulant and prohibited when its concentration in urine is greater than 150 micrograms per milliliter. Go buy a Pseudoephedrine box of tablets, after getting a clearance from the chemist, and is stimulates you pretty quickly to feel better

The other PEDs like steroids, HGH, EPO, peptides, Insulin Growth Factor etc are all about long term benefits and why these PEDs are tested for out of competition, and for some Olympic sports, athletes can be tested 12 months of the year.

Cocaine before training can be of some benefit. Its a stimulant so it affects your dopamine levels and makes you feel euphoric and on a can do anything type high, but its very short term. Its why there are a whole lot of Stimulants on the WADA banned list, because they have a performance enhancing benefit, but some only on game day, ie a short period, some for a few days.

Pseudoephedrine is a stimulant and prohibited when its concentration in urine is greater than 150 micrograms per milliliter. Go buy a Pseudoephedrine box of tablets, after getting a clearance from the chemist, and is stimulates you pretty quickly to feel better

The other PEDs like steroids, HGH, EPO, peptides, Insulin Growth Factor etc are all about long term benefits and why these PEDs are tested for out of competition, and for some Olympic sports, athletes can be tested 12 months of the year.

I guess my query relates to the cumulative long term benefit (if any) of training with the short term effects of coke in your sail. If the direct effect of cocaine enables you to train harder then surely there are incremental aerobic gains to be had over someone without this assistance, which then gives the former an indirect advantage later in competition.

I guess my query relates to the cumulative long term benefit (if any) of training with the short term effects of coke in your sail. If the direct effect of cocaine enables you to train harder then surely there are incremental aerobic gains to be had over someone without this assistance, which then gives the former an indirect advantage later in competition.
The trouble with cocaine is that it is a hell of a lot more likely to become addictive than steroids, HGH, EPO etc.

Once it becomes addictive and you are constantly seeking that euphoric dopamine hit, then it becomes performance disabling.

The trouble with cocaine is that it is a hell of a lot more likely to become addictive than steroids, HGH, EPO etc.

Once it becomes addictive and you are constantly seeking that euphoric dopamine hit, then it becomes performance disabling.

Only if you stop, stop, stop flying high.

/blackcatsyntax

In 1991, the Gaucho league title was decided in the Soccer Tribunal.

Internacional won, but its players refused to do the drug testing (which weren’t common back then).

We had it as early as 1991, because one of the biggest world authorities on doping back then was Dr. Eduardo De Rose – Brazilian, Gaucho, from Porto Alegre.

However, he supports Grêmio. Inter argued that this was enough to not trust the exam. A travesty. But, hey!, it worked.

Inter was 6 years without a title, then. They were desperate enough to do something stupid. However, we will never know for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say this is a different world to the one I live in.

The things I don't know!

I'm the same, I feel very old when I read statements about how common drug use is and the amount of people that have at least tried them.
I guess going straight from school in a small country town into the RAAF (where drug use was automatic discharge) has coloured my views.
I've never even tried smoking let alone try anything else.
Having said that I would say that being in the RAAF definitely taught me to drink!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Also helps with diet etc.

Does ASADA not conduct in-season non-match day testing?

IIRC a friend that worked in one of the pathlogy companies, would routinely visit clubs during the week on their behalf.

If so, this whole system still plays roulette with ASADA turning up on a Tuesday?
Yes they do.

However stimulants like Cocaine don't count in non-match day testing and as far as I know, they would just inform the player/club they have passed their doping tests, not you have passed the test but player X was found to have these illicit drugs in the system.

Its why the AFL organises and controls the illicit drug testing.

No doubt SIA will find there is nothing to see here, just like they did with the Essendon saga. They are undoubtedly part of the Boys Club.

ASADA prosecuted the Essendon players, it was the 'independent' AFL anti doping tribunal that cleared them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back