How Far Can We Go In 2007?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool-soccer
With two weeks remaining,before finals,where does everyone think we'll end up.Will we get that 4th possie?will we just finish 5th or 6th?or will we lose our next 2 games and tumble out of the eight and end up 9th?
If we do somehow make top 4 can we go all the way?
If we end up 5th or 6th,can we win more than one final?
If we tumble out,heads must roll ?Who goes ?

With two weeks remaining,before finals,where does everyone think we'll end up.Will we get that 4th possie?will we just finish 5th or 6th?or will we lose our next 2 games and tumble out of the eight and end up 9th?
If we do somehow make top 4 can we go all the way?
If we end up 5th or 6th,can we win more than one final?
If we tumble out,heads must roll ?Who goes ?

I am still optimistic about 2007. Even if 2008+ will be when we are at our most likely to win a premiership there is still every chance of making something of this year.

We made some progress in getting back to some form last week against Melbourne. We never seem to play well against lower sides but things began to improve. With Buckley returning into the side against Sydney we are a real chance to win. If we do then we have the start of some momentum which would continue through to the last round against Adelaide.

If that is the case then we are a mathamatic probability to being in the top 4 and with some momentum you never know what can happen. Geelong are scary at the moment, but an injury or two, or some September wobbles can change things dramatically.

A lot of "ifs" I know... but as I said I'm optimistic, but not expectant of this year, I would be dissapointed to lose but happy to know that we are a better chance next year.

Yeh deffinatly a lot of Ifs in 2007 but i don't think if we tumble out heads should role. As we have systems in place and promising youngsters coming up who will start to fill the gaps that are appearing.

There was always going to be a struggle when the older players input started to lessen and younger players needed to start stepping up, i think this is starting to happen and will continue next year and possible 09

Our midfield and ruck are obviously where we have real question marks but there are players showing good signs at vfl and afl level to suggest they will at the very least be servicable midfielders in Stanly Cook Wellingham Clarke and Pendlebury. Thomas and Shaw are the two X factors if one can play a significant midfield role along with the above listed players that does not look all so doom and gloom. If we can add another decent mid over the draft we have a very promising midfield in place.

As for this year we haven't one 2 in a row since the break. Buckleys return will be a significant lift and with Rhyce and Clement getting miles in the legs it will only add to our rebound off half back. Pendlebury in the middle with miles in the legs will add volumes too. That said there is to much of a gap in our midfielder ages, they are either relative rookies or in the twilight of their careers. I think we may finish 5 win our first final and lose in a tough one in the second

If we can win the next 2 we are a chance of leaping frogging both the roos (on percentage) and hawthorn (who will lose to Sydney) and squeezing into the top 4. Sydney did it last year if I remember correctly, that is, they slipped into the 4 on percentage after wins in the last couple of rounds. If we did this, could anybody count us out as legitimate contenders?

However, I also believe that all is not lost if we miss out on top 4. As has been said a few times on these boards over the last couple of weeks, we play our best footy as underdogs (something that would also apply if we slipped into 4th and played the Cats first up).

Sure, a few things would have to go our way for us to have a real shot - but in some ways, those things have started happenning (ie Bucks returning, players getting a rest). Obviously, losing Johnno is something that has gone the other way but I guarantee other finalists will also lose players from here on in.

I honestly believe we can beat anyone on our day, so here's hoping the cards fall our way over these next couple.:thumbsu:

If we can win the next 2 we are a chance of leaping frogging both the roos (on percentage) and hawthorn (who will lose to Sydney) and squeezing into the top 4. Sydney did it last year if I remember correctly, that is, they slipped into the 4 on percentage after wins in the last couple of rounds. If we did this, could anybody count us out as legitimate contenders?

However, I also believe that all is not lost if we miss out on top 4. As has been said a few times on these boards over the last couple of weeks, we play our best footy as underdogs (something that would also apply if we slipped into 4th and played the Cats first up).

Sure, a few things would have to go our way for us to have a real shot - but in some ways, those things have started happenning (ie Bucks returning, players getting a rest). Obviously, losing Johnno is something that has gone the other way but I guarantee other finalists will also lose players from here on in.

I honestly believe we can beat anyone on our day, so here's hoping the cards fall our way over these next couple.:thumbsu:

As long as they don't murder carlton or WB.

I would also add that the Pies game plan is well suited to two things:
1 - Big pressure games; and
2 - Being underdogs.

Although everything fell apart last year against the dogs, in 2002 we were not supposed to be contenders and ended up beating Port away and nearly won the flag.

If we get some momentum and form into our key players I would be hopeful that we would at least make some heads turn throughout September.

I would also add that the Pies game plan is well suited to two things:
1 - Big pressure games; and
2 - Being underdogs.

Although everything fell apart last year against the dogs, in 2002 we were not supposed to be contenders and ended up beating Port away and nearly won the flag.

If we get some momentum and form into our key players I would be hopeful that we would at least make some heads turn throughout September.

All true.

If we finsih fourth and get a rampaging geelong in the first week of the finals like Port in 02 i have a sneaking suspicion Thompson and his boys will be shitting bricks as we have a good record against them and play our best as underdogs in high intensity constest driven games.

But first we need to finish fourth so lets smack sydney and walk over adelaide then eh:thumbsu:

Obviously I hope that we can go all the way, but if not, lets hope that they make it until at least the second week of finals. The kids such as Thomas and Clarke will benefit big time from finals pressure.

I am not sure how the finals system works. If the ladder stays exactly as it is now, and we win in week one of the finals, who would we play? And if we finish 4th and win our first final, who would we play?

While hopes cant be raised too high I believe we have a chance to go a long way in the finals this year. The loss to Richmond was a mini disaster but as many teams have shown in an even year form can reverse quickly. I thought the 1st half last week was encouraging.

Sydney and Adel in Melb are v winnable and if we do so and the other variables fall into place to allow a top 4 finish I think it is game on.

I think Geelong are a side we match up well to and with the stupid finals system the AFL have in place they would not have any advantage over us. In fact considering the match would be at the "G" if anything we become the favoured team. Personally I think thats crazy to have the 1st side who are well ahead of the fouth team at the end of round 22 end up with nothing to show for that superiority.

If that was to happen that match is potentially the most difficult of the next four weeks. Win it and we may well look at Port on the G for a prelim and then WCE for the GF(assuming the interstate teams would go on to win their home final). At home I would fancy us for both matches.

While a lot would have to go right obviously its not completely implausible. Makes you think of having a nibble at the $26 odds on offer for a pie flag currently!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back