how good is Hiddink?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hiddink is on another planet compared to Venables. The guy's a Champions League winner, and out of the currently big-name Dutch coaches he's by far the best of the lot. :)

Its too early to tell.A lot will depend on the qualifiers.Not the result as such but how he structures the side defensively and if it works.IMHO,if the Australian defence was better,we would have made the last two world cups without question.Australia is good enough in all other areas to beat or at the very least be super competitive against most other teams,so a lot depends on how Hiddink remedies the defensive headaches because that to me is Australia's archilles heel.
If Australia's defence was better,they wouldn't have lost to Germany in the confed cup and the result against Argentina also lays at the feet of the pathetic defensive efforts.If that is improved in the two upcoming qualifiers,then I will be (more) convinced FFA made the right decision.

mark73 said:
Its too early to tell.A lot will depend on the qualifiers.
Too early to tell what? Please don't tell me that's referring to whether he's a 'good coach', or even worse, whether he's better than Terry Venables!!

He's won a European cup and delivered PSV 6 Dutch titles - soon likely to be 7 after this season. His squad is raped and pillaged every off-season, but despite losing most of his key players, he still has them up there - last year he steered them to the semis of the Champions League, and IMO they were probably a cheap injury time goal away from winning the whole thing.

He's also the only person to have ever taken two different countries to the semis of the World Cup. The second time around, it was with a team that had never previously won a match in the tournament.

Too early to tell? Whichever way you look at it and regardless of what happens next month, he's the most elite person to have ever been involved with the code in this country on any level.

Guido said:
Too early to tell what? Please don't tell me that's referring to whether he's a 'good coach', or even worse, whether he's better than Terry Venables!!

He's won a European cup and delivered PSV 6 Dutch titles - soon likely to be 7 after this season. His squad is raped and pillaged every off-season, but despite losing most of his key players, he still has them up there - last year he steered them to the semis of the Champions League, and IMO they were probably a cheap injury time goal away from winning the whole thing.

He's also the only person to have ever taken two different countries to the semis of the World Cup. The second time around, it was with a team that had never previously won a match in the tournament.

Too early to tell? Whichever way you look at it and regardless of what happens next month, he's the most elite person to have ever been involved with the code in this country on any level.
Did you read the post or just that part?
I was referring mainly to his being better than the other national coaches.What he has done elsewhere doesn't concern me,if he gets Australia into the world cup,obviously he will be in the best two "national" coach that we've had,if not who knows?
It is only an opinion after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back