Education & Reference How good is your geographical knowledge?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong thanks to computer games like Football Manager, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis.

Bit of a favourite topic of mine. I too like reading maps for fun - I also have an Atlas of World History that shows how things have changed over time, really fascinating and puts the current world in perspective too.

Used to know all US state capitals because they'd occasionally get asked at trivia nights so I learnt them.

Apparently there was a guy who went to school with one of my mates who also won Sale of the Century - you could tell him your (Melbourne) address and he'd be able to tell you which map and grid reference in the Melway it was. Unbelievable.

Never forget when I was in the States many moons ago, old yank hears my accent and asks where I'm from. Of course I answer Australia.

She then comes up with "Australia, that's an island isn't it?"

Yeah love, bloody great big one down south.

Never forget when I was in the States many moons ago, old yank hears my accent and asks where I'm from. Of course I answer Australia.

She then comes up with "Australia, that's an island isn't it?"

Yeah love, bloody great big one down south.
Right next to Barbuda yeh? Love going on holiday to the Caribbean

Peoples sense of direction when you refer to North, South, West and East really annoys me. I was on High Street Northcote the other day and I was speaking to a friend on the phone. She told me where she was and I said "start walking north and you'll run into to me". Now anyone who knows High St knows you can clearly see the city buildings so anyone with half a brain would know you'd start walking away from them to go north. The phone went silent, she had no idea which way to walk.

The country is called Antigua and Barbuda. Unless you mean Bermuda or Barbados.
hqdefault.jpg

Over time it's occurred to me that people's knowledge of where is what in the world is terrible. Heard some people talking about Israel-Palestine today, it sounded as though they thought Israel had always been there since forever. A common one I find is that people don't even know Northern Ireland exists as a separate country to Ireland.

How would you rate your geographical knowledge? Personally geography would be my strongest field, I have no doubts I can name every country and point to it exactly on a map.
I'm a mapmaker by profession. :D Mapaholic is a better description.

People's lack of geographical knowledge astounds me.

My wife bought me a historic world map jigsaw puzzle - as I'd always wanted to do a 1000 piece one but never had.

Waste of money she said afterwards as she had never seen anyone do one faster..... or finish with the edges as that was apparenty the "hardest bit".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good. A lot of people I know know very little about geography outside Australia.

I also have a crazy fascination with statistics regarding countries, like population density.

When I grew up the West Indies use to beat us at cricket. Well how are you suppose to beat a country you can't find on a map?

Shithouse. A few things I have recently discovered:
Northern Ireland is a separate country to Ireland
Bali is not a country
Mexico isn't located in South America
Mt Everest is in Nepal
Ireland isn't part of the UK

Solid enough that blue was always my second choice in Trivial Pursuit (after orange obv).
But it was better when the Soviet Union still existed - I'm pretty clueless about that whole "-stan" region now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back