How important is game plan versus personnel versus momentum versus Draw versus injury List

Remove this Banner Ad

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi,

This is my first ever Thread in this forum.
I thought I post this to get everyone's opinion on what you identify as the most important area that has enabled West Coast Eagles ( or any other team for that matter, this year its us, every year there is always one team that has significant improvements, Adelaide under sando's first year and port under Kens first year of the recent few seasons comes to mind) to be fighting for top 4 spot.

I am going to give my take on what i believe is a collection of several things that leads to a team operating as a well oiled machinery. I will also like to raise couple of key issues of how teams in AFL have such a quick turn around of results going from bottom 4 not even in the finals contention to missing out on GF by a goal ( port last year) in a space of one season and then flop miserably the running year due to peer Internal pressure( board and fans) and external pressure( media and footy world) or something else??. could this same pattern happen to West Coast Eagles too?? how?? why?? and how can we prevent it??

Here is what I think why teams like port, Adelaide and us to a degree managed to turn around and get rewarded by it in terms of footy world perception descibe as" a contender or big deal".
  • Game Plan- change of coaching personnel is always a big indicator of one teams future success IMO. new ideas, fresh tactics, rejuvenating the team and breaking the shackles. it has been evident for many years once teams change coaches the team tends to respond and play better and start putting some W's on board. however, there is also a deceptive evil in this perception which is basically getting the footy world too excited once the honey moon period is over. this is where distinguishing between actual success formula versus the short term honey moon formula is so hard to determine. I give you Sanderson and ken Hinckley examples.Both came in to clubs at a state of turmoil and started clean and had amazing turn around in their first season. If i am not mistaken both teams made dream Prelim run where both got beaten by Hawks in a close game. Fast forward the upcoming season or two for both teams where now the were on the spotlight, with immense external and internal pressure, what happened?? Crows folded miserably which lead to Sando's job and Ken is on the same track as being o verge of losing his job. was the pressure too much?? did it get into the mind of coaching team that all of a sudden they thought their game plan can stand up against the big boys?? was their strategy good enough to take into all these variables into account on crunch time?? maybe their plan was just to get the team on winning games and all of a sudden they are now a contender and they had not contingency plans for that once teams figured their Plan A style of play they had no answer??. was the team mature enough to take on such responsibility in such a short turn around??
Based on Evidence, it appears that neither one had thought it like that or simply the pressure got into them. this is where lots of teams of late get themselves into by giving false hope without thinking/planing it through. to me SUCCESS TAKES TIME, TAKES LOTS OF PLANNING AND LOTS OF ANALYSING.its true that new coach could bring new ideas and by doing so has a contagious effect amongst the organisation, you win games, leads to momentum, leads to results and all of a sudden with a bit of luck through injuries you can go deep in the competition. but to me as a west coast supporter I do not want my team to go through that and lets say make GF this year and then struggle to make the eight for the next 4 seasons.

This bring me to the current predicament we are facing now which is West Coast Eagles sitting nicely at 2nd ( hehehe), most likely will finish top 4 this year and who knows might go as far as prelim if not GF maybe even win it. all good. but how good?? will we be there again next year or is this another Sando or ken scenario waiting to happen??

here is what I think how we are slightly different to those teams:

• This is simmo's 2nd year not 1st year. it might not mean too much but he has had time to bulid his team and mature them a little more compared to the crows or port. only time will tell if im right or wrong.
  • Simmos press conference are always a delight to watch, he is very specific and careful on what he wants to say about our chances this year. doesnt talk us up too much but also doesnt say we are bad. it is a fine line for a coach to realise when to announce to the footy world that we are a big deal. if you go too quick, it could lead to all that internal and external pressure being too much for immature team which could destroy the team and ultimatley his job. If you go too late, it could lead to the team not believing in themselves that they have the killer edge to succeed all the way ( Flag). it all comes down to maturity and timing and thats where you can identify which coach has the ability to make a team a winner ( long term) and which coach will pull the trigger too early ad undo everything they have worked for.
To me its always a worrying sign to see a team going from finishing 14th to prelim in a season. because the path of success is not found in such short period. it takes time, variables that you did not have to deal with before all of a sudden become your biggest issues( how to counter teams who have been watching you and found a way to stop your game plan, media pressure, injuries, board and members pressure). if your initial seed planting wasn't done the right way. your tree is going to be growing on an angle which with all these pressure will ultimately succumb and snap and fall on your face and bury you.

Have we peaked too early like mentioned teams?? i dunno. its always good to be on winning streak, but is everything planned out for next season if we make deep run this year?? only time will tell.

What do you guys think?? I had to get this out of my chest. sorry for the essay, i will learn to summarise better as time goes on:)

Aside from the gameplan, from a list management perspective we've been working to this point for years now. Woosha said we'd have a double peak flag window, and this is coming in to our second peak as a significant part of our midfield comes into it's prime (Naitanui, Masten, Shuey and to a lesser extent Selwood, with Gaff and Yeo turning into a A graders a little further behind age wise). Our forward line is also in its prime.

We've had a dip with Glass, Embley, Kerr and Cox retiring, and now we're naturally rising back up. It does really help that our gameplan kicks butt and that it really plays to our strengths as a team, and we just have to hope that an effective counter doesn't get figured out this year or in the off season for next year, though our list profile should keep us in good stead as long as we're not totally figured out plan-wise. Hawthorn were premiers in 2008 and had their gameplan worked out totally in 2009, but that also shows how a really good gameplan can take a team to a premiership early before their list profile is really quite there for a tilt.

A large part of our list has decent finals experience from 2011/2012 (1 less game than our 2006 team had going into the finals that year), and I think we're in with a real shot this year with our remaining draw and high confidence levels. Our season will be defined by our home games against Hawthorn and Sydney. We're either bound for the top 2 or a massive reality check :D

It's a combo ....lol

It is a combo

I know one thing .....yes only one I can say this is solid

The midfield must be good to be good in this league ..crap midfield means you get smashed it's that simple

We as in west coast won flag ...with ash Hansen, ash sampi and q lynch as our forwards ....

But the midfield something else ...NAME THE LAST TEAM that won a flag with an average midfield.

It's a combo ....lol

It is a combo

I know one thing .....yes only one I can say this is solid

The midfield must be good to be good in this league ..crap midfield means you get smashed it's that simple

We as in west coast won flag ...with ash Hansen, ash sampi and q lynch as our forwards ....

But the midfield something else ...NAME THE LAST TEAM that won a flag with an average midfield.
Brisbane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It also seems like nearly all our forwards find time in the midfield at some stage which is a game plan thing where
the current way of succeeding seems to be play 7 in defence with some good readers of the ball getting chop out marks.
(we seem to have this from different defenders at different times)
Then it is decent disposal and playing on a lot of the time to prevent the opposition to set up the defensive setup from their forwards.
This also appears to require quite a few of our players to be very fit (and also helps that our ruckman gives some clear taps from stoppages).

Anyway my 2c worth!

Hi,

This is my first ever Thread in this forum.

What do you guys think?? I had to get this out of my chest. sorry for the essay, i will learn to summarise better as time goes on:)
wow you get a lot for 2 cents
Congrats it took me 1000 posts before i realised anyone can make a thread .

Last year we lost 4 or 5 close games , we had a better percentage than geelong who finished 4/5th and geelong won a lot of close games . So we werent too far off last year . if we won those close games we woulda been like Geelong , up there but not really a premiership threat With Darling back it is only going to enhance the game plan which is the big improvement . Everyone thought it was personel . I think we are a premiership threat this year and beyond the window is open . Next 9 games are all big

Remove this Banner Ad

Back