Food, Drink & Dining Out How Often do you Drink?

Well?

• Once

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Two or three times

Votes: 49 30.8%
  • Four or five times

Votes: 31 19.5%
  • Six to 10 times

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • More than 10 times

Votes: 31 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody should feel compelled to drink. Go-with-the-flow can be a prick of a thing when you're young. It definitely wasn't a criticism of your choice vonn, so apologies if it came across that way. Like most choices, it's a command decision for you and you alone to make.

I'm pretty happy with my lot in life - I enjoy social drinking immensely and coming from an Irish background the alcohol content is already in the blood so to speak.

But yeah. To each their own:thumbsu:

Agree, whatever makes you happy - stick with it :rainbow:

You're telling me I need to grow up because I don't want to drink? I have no problem with others doing whatever they want. I don't like it, so I don't do it, because I don't need to.

I was never a huge drinker, I guess you could say I'm the type of person who enjoys a cold beer when catching up with mates or a glass of wine with my meal. It's funny though I've had a couple of periods in my twenties when I haven't touched a drink for months on end and didn't miss it at all. This was partly due to wanting to be fully present when experiencing things, also I was rather ill once when I made the mistake when out one night of not spreading out my alcohol consumption over a longer period, which put me off drinking for quite a while.

Now I am perfectly okay with it, I don't ever feel the need to drink to excess... the two most important words here are "in moderation"!

I do respect vonn 's decision to abstain, it takes courage to do something different from what all your peers are doing. Congrats on putting yourself first!

I do respect vonn 's decision to abstain, it takes courage to do something different from what all your peers are doing. Congrats on putting yourself first!

Especially when you boys are going at it at the SCG! I feel bad for never calling rounds but hey I never partake haha.

I feel bad for never calling rounds but hey I never partake haha.

Ah I've been in that situation before, it can take a bit of managing. I do try to make sure I call rounds occasionally though.

Shock, horror, I didn't play the drinking game yesterday! I had my usual one beer at the game and another with the others at Fox + Lion after.

For six days in every week, I won't touch a drink. But one day a week usually, I'll go nuts and down 3/4 to a bottle of scotch.

At uni I'll usually drink on a Tuesday & Thursday night, pretty heavily.

The uni nights mean it actually ends up being a cheap night usually ($30-$40). I'll occasionally go out on a Saturday night but try to keep it to once a month as Saturday nights are ******* expensive.

Only when I'm thirsty.

Seriously, though, this thread is pretty different from my general social circle. Lot of tee-totallers or nearabouts on here.

When I look back on how much I drank 18-22, it's pretty horrifying.

This is where the health nuts shoot themselves in the foot. If you say something like 3 beers is binge drinking people will not listen nor pay attention to the message.

It's true to a point, and I tend to agree, but if you take the "4 standard drinks is a proper session" mindset, then have your 4 and stop when you do, you'll generally notice the alcohol affecting you a lot more than you would if you'd had 4 drinks, but are intending to knock off 4 more.

Back in the day, i would've sworn black and blue that I still felt virtually sober after 4 standard drinks. These days, if I have my 3 beers or 2 big glasses of wine or whatever, and then call it a night, I'll definitely noticed I'm fairly buzzed.

ugh

I somehow found myself at The Old Bar for the past two consecutive nights until the bitter end (otherwise known as Last Drinks)

Am still feeling awful...

Water has been my friend today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never drunk. I have witnessed my father drink all my life and just realised it isn't worth it. Now I'm not saying my dad was an abusive etc, actually quite the opposite he was cranky when he didn't have anything to drink. It started to piss me off when I was younger that he would drink heavily every weekend. He didn't really spend time with my siblings and me and I think that has influenced my choice to never drink. I'm 22 and so far I have not touched it at all. Can't say I'm missing much anyways.

It's true to a point, and I tend to agree, but if you take the "4 standard drinks is a proper session" mindset, then have your 4 and stop when you do, you'll generally notice the alcohol affecting you a lot more than you would if you'd had 4 drinks, but are intending to knock off 4 more.

Back in the day, i would've sworn black and blue that I still felt virtually sober after 4 standard drinks. These days, if I have my 3 beers or 2 big glasses of wine or whatever, and then call it a night, I'll definitely noticed I'm fairly buzzed.

Interesting theory. I had three bevs watching the Dockers game on Saturday and tended to actually feel it. I'll usually have six or seven on a night out, but you're always occupied and I guess you just don't notice the intoxication.

I just enjoy the act of, y'know, drinking. It might sound weird, but it's enjoyable to have a beer in your hand when you're having a conversation at a pub.

Yeah I find if I have a beer with lunch, or with my dad or something I notice it heaps, even after 1 or 2. But if I'm having a big night I can knock down six and feel stone cold sober. Which is never a good thing...

Yeah I find if I have a beer with lunch, or with my dad or something I notice it heaps, even after 1 or 2. But if I'm having a big night I can knock down six and feel stone cold sober. Which is never a good thing...

Yeah, when you have one with lunch, it can actually make you feel pretty s**t. You just want to sober up. Maybe I should just have two or three this Friday and see how it goes... could save me a bit of money...

Yeah, when you have one with lunch, it can actually make you feel pretty s**t. You just want to sober up. Maybe I should just have two or three this Friday and see how it goes... could save me a bit of money...
Especially when I go the library to try to study after. It's probably the most bizarre feeling.

I'd be quite happy to cut back my drinking to 1/2 with lunch/dinner, a couple of times a week. I think I'll definitely do that when I'm past the going out/binge drinking days.

I'm 18, turning 19 later this year.

I've given up drinking as I don't find it fun one bit. I don't find it fun being off my chops nor do I find it fun waking up feeling like s**t.

Not to forget I believe it's an utter waste of money.

Good on people deciding at a young age to give the piss away, in many ways I envy them.

At the same time, if you give it away too soon, part of me wonders if you are sacrificing some of the cool stories that come with getting on the piss when you are young.

In the ideal world there'd be no need for grog, as all of the truly wonderful drugs would be available 'on tap' so to speak (legal, regulated, beautiful). In the absence of this, though, the drink offers us all a chance to build a catalogue of stories to share and to laugh about into our old age and beyond.

If you don't have a story about the time you woke up with money you didn't remember winning, or next to a chick you didn't remember seeing the night prior, or in a suburb you've never heard of before in your entire life, I wonder what kind of stories you'll look back on.

Good on people deciding at a young age to give the piss away, in many ways I envy them.

At the same time, if you give it away too soon, part of me wonders if you are sacrificing some of the cool stories that come with getting on the piss when you are young.

In the ideal world there'd be no need for grog, as all of the truly wonderful drugs would be available 'on tap' so to speak (legal, regulated, beautiful). In the absence of this, though, the drink offers us all a chance to build a catalogue of stories to share and to laugh about into our old age and beyond.

If you don't have a story about the time you woke up with money you didn't remember winning, or next to a chick you didn't remember seeing the night prior, or in a suburb you've never heard of before in your entire life, I wonder what kind of stories you'll look back on.

I get what you're saying but the memories with close friends and the good times with family is what I'm going to remember. I don't think you need to be an idiot to create a great memory to look back and laugh about.

I get what you're saying but the memories with close friends and the good times with family is what I'm going to remember. I don't think you need to be an idiot to create a great memory to look back and laugh about.

That's the point. Anybody can and does have those memories, but only a young person on the sauce can get away with some of the dodgier stuff without too much judgement from themselves and/or others, and so those who do will have those memories as well as the regular non-drunk family/srscat ones.

Back