Gym & Misc How often do you go to the gym?

How many days a week do you do gym?

• Three

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Four

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Five

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Six

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Seven

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Just wondering how often people on here go to the gym. I go four times, MTW and once on the weekend. The reason I am wondering is I am thinking of upping it to five or six times. Is this too much?

why can't you get everything done in 4 days...adding more is always the best answer...i mean f you're not getting benefits in 4 days then how adding another day which is more stress, more calorie requirments but else recovery gonna help that? it sounds like the opposite of what you'd need

why can't you get everything done in 4 days...adding more is always the best answer...i mean f you're not getting benefits in 4 days then how adding another day which is more stress, more calorie requirments but else recovery gonna help that? it sounds like the opposite of what you'd need

I am getting benefits from four days. I just wonder whether I couldn't get more from five or six.

Five days a week. Usually spanning for about 60-75 minutes sessions depending on the muscles being worked. I'm an early bird too, go at 6.50-7am.

I tried morning but I am not a morning person. Also I felt too rushed going to the gym before work and being conscious of the time. I like to go straight after work then I can unwind and don't feel rushed.

Depends what you're there for. Is one day cardio?

A lot of people will split 4 days (Chest/Back/Legs/Shoulders) so you could go in for Abs or cardio or whatever. Personally I'll just start again so I end up running around 5 days a week.

I do cardio and weights every time.

I tried morning but I am not a morning person. Also I felt too rushed going to the gym before work and being conscious of the time. I like to go straight after work then I can unwind and don't feel rushed.

Takes a while but I got used to getting up very early. Not many people at the gym that early so no rush. Whereas in the arvo there are too many school kids who go with their friends and so there's no hope of getting to use the weights. I have been a lark and a night owl, it's just a matter of the body adapting I reckon.

Four times a week. Monday, Thursday and Friday morning, plus Tuesday night. Split at present is:
Monday morning - upper body strength
Tuesday night - lower body strength, plus core and grip work (have more time of a night to do a longer session, but have a family and only get the one night available for night training)
Thursday - upper body hypertrophy
Friday - lower body hypertrophy

Saturday, not at the gym, but do sprints plus 2nd core workout for the week.

At one point I was doing 4 times a week at the gym, plus saturday workout plus more running and plyo's the Monday. Ran myself (no pun intended) into the ground. I'm 40, not 20 (sob) and need two full rest days a week, plus the Saturday as fairly light or I start hitting the wall fairly quickly.

For the moment 4 days, upper/lower combo.

Works out alright. Train Train Rest Train Train Rest Rest

Rests usually incorporate either work, study or heavy eating (decent foods though). :hearts:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering how often people on here go to the gym. I go four times, MTW and once on the weekend. The reason I am wondering is I am thinking of upping it to five or six times. Is this too much?

There's a book called I highly advise you to read called, Body by Science.
The Kindle addition from Amazon.com is only a few books & explains from a science point of view about ideal training volumes , recovery , metabolic pathway etc...
I wish I read it 20 years ago!

Do you guys go to gym , or train/exercise where ever, so often because you enjoy it or because you believe the more sessions you do the more it benefits you/better results , just curious?

shorter sessions more frequently is a lot better then long sessions done infrequently

What about a shorter session done infrequently is best for results?

I'm referring to strength training, not cardio.

What if there's science based evidence that suggests a 12minute high intense workout weekly is not only all that is needed for strength gains, but anything more than that weekly has no more benefit at all?

Imagine getting the same, if not better results, from 12mins a week opposed to 1-2hours in the gym 3/4 times a week.
Yes most enjoy hours spent in the gym, but have we learnt to enjoy from necessity not efficiency.

The reason most of us train more often is because we can &/or think it's more benefitcial.

Before anyone picks up a dumbbell/barbell, too late for most of us, the book , Body by Science should be read.
It will revolutionise they way you think about training at the gym.
Atleast read it in its full context then past judgement.

cptkirk- your a PT if I recall? I'd be very interested to hear your feedback after you've read it cos the Author's approach , backed by science, goes against a lot what you would've been taught to become qualified.
Not saying what do or preach doesn't get results.

I remember reading about slow burn training 15 years ago but cos it wasn't what is was doing I or anyone else was doing I didn't give it a second thought.

With everything in life we need an open mind, trail n error before judging.
I highly encourage everyone to read this book ASAP, even if you don't agree with the training principles in the book you'll be glad you read it due to its very valuable info re fatloss, metabolic pathway , muscle fibres etc...
Knowledge is our best tool in life & research/reading is the best way to become knowledgeable.
Don't underestimate the power of knowledge, it could save your or someone else's life one day, that's how powerful it is.

Body by Science can be found/purchased @ Amazon.com, Kindle edition is only a few bucks.

Im not gonna read it so you'll have to inform of the specifics...I do know john little "static contraction" fame which it sounds along the lines of (1 set of 1 exercise for 5-15sec isometric)

Im not gonna read it so you'll have to inform of the specifics...I do know john little "static contraction" fame which it sounds along the lines of (1 set of 1 exercise for 5-15sec isometric)

Ignorance is a persons worse enemy!

Yeah similar principle , do the exercise for 90sec, ideally 10-15sec up n same down or visa versa pending exercise performed.
It's all about TUL( time under load).
It's very hard to ignore all the science based info in the book.
Are you afraid to read it cos it may flaw what you believe in?
What if it will benefit your clients?

not ignorance...time and i want to trust a source before i purchase from it like everyone you buy from...time under load isn't everything, not even close really

not ignorance...time and i want to trust a source before i purchase from it like everyone you buy from...time under load isn't everything, not even close really

You don't trust Amazon.com?

Isn't it about fatiguing the muscle fibres so they breakdown, then re-grow larger to handle the next session?

If you read the book then your ....time under load isn't everything.... Comment may alter.

The Author has science to back his principles, I'd like to see some scientific evidence to back what the average PT preaches?
That's no dig at you cos I don't know what you preach.

Back