I am Jason Macartney – what do I do after R23?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never give up first round pick for WHE

WHE and Macrae are every chance to have similar caliber careers IMO - both guns but probably not their clubs absolute AAA+ player. I would give a pick in the 5-10 range every year for that class of player. I get your reference to getting a KPP but a 1st round pick after 5 is absolutely fair value for him and he would absolutely strengthen our list. Easy trade IMO.

I let Higgins run to Norf and we get pick 27. I'd hit the draft. Nail 3 picks under pick 30 and it could just about complete us. So i'm going for it.

Cut, Howard, Goodes, Pearce, Greenwood

Draft
(what ever picks they may be)
5 - Lever
23 - Hammelmann or McKenzie
24 - Jackson Nelson
42 - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
60 - Cordy (fs)
78 - Jong (upgrade)
96 - pass/trade

Rookie
Keep Austin
Cut Greenwood - Add Foster
Lose Redpath (see Trades) - Add Footscray VFL player
Upgrade Jong (1or2 yrs) - Add Footscray VFL player/ another vfl player/undrafted player

Trade, I'd work out some sort of deal with Carlton where we would upgrade and trade (or let him sign) Redpath and send him and Grant for Kane Lucas, throw in our last pick in case they need it.

I think that's pretty much it, I tried to get Jaksch but there was too much competition and I didn't want to lose pick 5.

In Summary:
In: Lever, Hammelmann, Nelson, Viojo-Rainbow, Cordy, Lucas, Foster, 2 other rookies
Out: Gia, Williams, Higgins, Grant, Howard, Goodes, Pearce, Redpath , Greenwood

Aim was to replenish some KP talent. Taking a step back to hopefully go a few steps forward to find some quality. And to gather some depth at HB. Would then look at 2015 draft with aim for pace and skill at our top pick and then a back pocket in round 2.

Last edited:
WHE and Macrae are every chance to have similar caliber careers IMO - both guns but probably not their clubs absolute AAA+ player. I would give a pick in the 5-10 range every year for that class of player. I get your reference to getting a KPP but a 1st round pick after 5 is absolutely fair value for him and he would absolutely strengthen our list. Easy trade IMO.

Not saying it isn't his value or he wont be a good player. But for every 5 WHE, there is probably only 1 good defender or forward to a similar caliber. I would give up a first round pick for him, but from a strategic standpoint, this would be a bad year to do so. More likely to find a Macrae/WHE the next five seasons than a highly rated young KKP, we cannot afford to ignore it once again and hope one just shows up one day, as it may not come. Next year I would do it for sure assuming its not another KKP draft

I let Higgins run to Norf and we get pick 27. I'd hit the draft. Nail 3 picks under pick 30 and it could just about complete us. So i'm going for it.

Cut, Howard, Goodes, Pearce, Greenwood

Draft
(what ever picks they may be)
5 - Lever
23 - Hammelmann or McKenzie
24 - Jackson Nelson
42 - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
60 - Cordy (fs)
78 - Jong (upgrade)
96 - pass/trade

Rookie
Keep Austin
Cut Greenwood - Add Foster
Lose Redpath (see Trades) - Add Footscray VFL player
Upgrade Jong (1or2 yrs) - Add Footscray VFL player/ another vfl player/undrafted player

Trade, I'd work out some sort of deal with Carlton where we would upgrade and trade (or let him sign) Redpath and send him and Grant for Kane Lucas, throw in our last pick in case they need it.

I think that's pretty much it, I tried to get Jaksch but there was too much competition and I didn't want to lose pick 5.

In Summary:
In: Lever, Hammelmann, Nelson, Viojo-Rainbow, Cordy, Lucas, Foster, 2 other rookies
Out: Gia, Williams, Higgins, Grant, Howard, Goodes, Pearce, Redpath , Greenwood

Aim was to replenish some KP talent. Taking a step back to hopefully go a few steps forward to find some quality. And to gather some depth at HB. Would then look at 2015 draft with aim for pace and skill at our top pick and then a back pocket in round 2.

You want to offload Redpath???

Will have a better look at this later but for now:

- No trading pick 5 for Jacksh unless it part of a combo deal that gets WHE as well. Ie pick 5, Higgins compo and Grant for Jacksh and WHE.

- Grant is worth a lot more to us than a pick in the mid 40's. If it's part of a trade to get to get a key position player than I wouldn't be totally against it. FWIW I think we are better of keeping him.

- To who enquired about Jones, I think he's worth probably a pick in the mid 20's. Again, I think we are better off persisting with him rather than trading him, given we won't get that much and I still think he adds a lot of upside to our list.

- we'll probably delist Greenwood, Howard, Goodes and Young. Got a feeling we'll keep Pearce.

Don't think Redpath will survive , as ironic as that seems. Not sure there is any more improvement in him.
Jong on the other hand is a massive chance to be promoted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of curiosity, why would we want Kane Lucas? Doesn't Redpath fill a far greater need?
Well i'd rather take a punt on Lucas rather than taking another punt on Grant. Plus in my post I had drafted KP and HB players, and cut some mids off the rookie list and senior experience. He offers a lot of flexibility and depth at the right age. Plus Carlton potentially taking on Grant and Redpath. I'm not saying Redpath isn't useful, i think he offers some value but I also think its time to bring in some new KP with potential to be better.

Where was it reported that Carlton were into Redpath?

sorry it wasn't reported but there was talk on bigfooty and in another carlton forum if you do a google search and read the link preview. Also hoping carlton may be desperate to turn over their list this off season.

Well i'd rather take a punt on Lucas rather than taking another punt on Grant. Plus in my post I had drafted KP and HB players, and cut some mids off the rookie list and senior experience. He offers a lot of flexibility and depth at the right age. Plus Carlton potentially taking on Grant and Redpath. I'm not saying Redpath isn't useful, i think he offers some value but I also think its time to bring in some new KP with potential to be better.

sorry it wasn't reported but there was talk on bigfooty and in another carlton forum if you do a google search and read the link preview. Also hoping carlton may be desperate to turn over their list this off season.
I don't get your Lucas love at all to be honest. Has showed virtually nothing in 5 years in the AFL. His age profile is perfect but you still have to be at least half decent for this to actually mean anything.

Grant hasn't exactly dominated but he's shown a lot more than what Lucas has. I still think Grant has a lot to offer us.

Kane Lucas, god no, Tutt copy, we should be getting rid of the one we have got not get another.

while I agree, I think it works in the context of my original post. We aren't giving up a draft pick or a best 22 player for him. And who else would be interested in Grant and Redpath... probably not many. Its like for like in my mind and hoping Grant and Lucas need to be at another club to go forward. If he doesn't come good, happy to delist in 2 years time when my draft choices are ready to play.

I don't get your Lucas love at all to be honest. Has showed virtually nothing in 5 years in the AFL. His age profile is perfect but you still have to be at least half decent for this to actually mean anything.

Grant hasn't exactly dominated but he's shown a lot more than what Lucas has. I still think Grant has a lot to offer us.

Trust me there is no love. As I mentioned in my above post its in the total context of my original post and list management imo. I don't think anyone would give a 2nd round pick for Grant, thus the trade for a player. Your right Grant has shown more. But as Jason McCartney, I feel id be doing a s**t job if Grant is in this same position 2 yrs down the track. So time is now for a change.

i think its a great discussion point though and certainly see your side

Lucas is a dud, would bring nothing to the side that we don't already have, don't want to bring in a list clogger.

Would definitely rather keep Spindleshanks, at least he's the cream on the cake rather than a potato cake (to borrow Dannnnnnnnnn's metaphor).

Trust me there is no love. As I mentioned in my above post its in the total context of my original post and list management imo. I don't think anyone would give a 2nd round pick for Grant, thus the trade for a player. Your right Grant has shown more. But as Jason McCartney, I feel id be doing a s**t job if Grant is in this same position 2 yrs down the track. So time is now for a change.

i think its a great discussion point though and certainly see your side
At best, we would get an early 3rd round pick for Grant. Unless he's part of a bigger trade to get a good key position prospect, I think we are better off keeping him.

Grant showed late last year just how much he improves our side when he's on song. I think 2015 will be his last chance to prove that he's a regular senior player. In a lot of ways he's our wildcard and I think he deserves another year.

Lucas is a dud, would bring nothing to the side that we don't already have, don't want to bring in a list clogger.

Would definitely rather keep Spindleshanks, at least he's the cream on the cake rather than a potato cake (to borrow Dannnnnnnnnn's metaphor).

that is gold.

I'd actually say Grant is a list clogger also. And if we offered Grant for Lucas, do you think Carlton would take it?
I chose him as he can also play HB, maybe not well but he can play there. In my 2015 team we would only have JJ, Darley and Murphy who can play HB. Not counting my draft choices . And Grant will be a Free Agent in a few years, wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to leave for a fresh start somewhere else.

But adding Lucas was just a minor part of me being McCartney, my main focus was filling KP holes (Lever, Hammelmann, Cordy, Foster) and finding some HBF's (Nelson, Viojo-Rainbow) for the future.

Last edited:
Draft inside midfielders

ahah reminds of this, that I made in November 2012.

wGX7O.jpg

And yet, here we are in 2014 still blaming other people for not having drafted any developing KPP's or traded in any ready made ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back