I am losing my love of football

Remove this Banner Ad

the rolling maul isn't that bad:rolleyes:

Game is being over umpired, and skills are way down.
Free flowing football with desperation is gone, you can hardly go 5 I50's without a free kick. "Making an attempt" is bullshit. Half the time it it pinned to them and they have to wave their arms around do nothing; and if the don't it's HTB. Diving rule for below the legs makes no sense and was a huge over reaction to an injury. It has made football on the ground unplayable, because once you go to ground you can't get up and get it faster than someone running towards it.

Someone said it in a game day thread, but the umpires treat players like kids. They don't allow any push and shove and the moment an arm goes high they will pay a free. Players know what they sign up for, they don't need to be controlled.

I'll still continue to watch a lot of footy, but is just not as exciting.

Game is being over umpired, and skills are way down.
Free flowing football with desperation is gone, you can hardly go 5 I50's without a free kick. "Making an attempt" is bullshit. Half the time it it pinned to them and they have to wave their arms around do nothing; and if the don't it's HTB. Diving rule for below the legs makes no sense and was a huge over reaction to an injury. It has made football on the ground unplayable, because once you go to ground you can't get up and get it faster than someone running towards it.

Someone said it in a game day thread, but the umpires treat players like kids. They don't allow any push and shove and the moment an arm goes high they will pay a free. Players know what they sign up for, they don't need to be controlled.

I'll still continue to watch a lot of footy, but is just not as exciting.

Both these things are blatantly not true

There were far more free kicks paid in the 80s and skills have improved immensely

Both these things are blatantly not true

There were far more free kicks paid in the 80s and skills have improved immensely
Haven't looked at the stats in the 80's for umpiring, just going on game play.

Skills obviously affect the quality of the game and with so few quality games I use that idea.
Won't list all the games, but Brisbane vs Richmond was terrible to watch.

KB just talks s**t and some w***ers agree with him. I played rugby for 5 years and football for ten, football looks nothing like rugby everyone who preachers that crap has most likely never played or watched rugby

Haven't looked at the stats in the 80's for umpiring, just going on game play.

Skills obviously affect the quality of the game and with so few quality games I use that idea.
Won't list all the games, but Brisbane vs Richmond was terrible to watch.

Games regularly had 30+ free kicks paid. If that happened today there would be a two page spread on the state of the game

Games regularly had 30+ free kicks paid. If that happened today there would be a two page spread on the state of the game
6/9 games last round were over 30 free kicks. Still happens a bit and some get close to 40.

Maybe they should just stop changing the rules and the game will sort itself out. NBA, soccer, NFL, no other major sport changes it's rules like it's nothing as we do.

6/9 games last round were over 30 free kicks. Still happens a bit and some get close to 40.

Sorry, I meant 30 per side.

Just picking a random year 1985 in the opening round there were 60, 51, 69, 71, 61 and 55 free kicks paid in each game

71! If that happened this year, heads would roll. And you're complaining about them getting close to 40 :rolleyes:

A perfect illustration of how ugly the game has gotten happened with my beloved team.

Now I like our coach MM but he is just like the rest of the coaches in wanting defence to be the priority which is ruining our game.

I and everyone else I know believes that Carlton can be an exciting team if allowed to play their natural game which is to attack.

Because of the trend of footy to be so ultra defensive these days, it is being drilled into my team that defence is prority which brought about the following fiasco:

Against Richmond in round 2, a Richmond player had the ball on the wing and was moving forward. Not one Carlton player moved towards him and so he had to stop on the wing and just stand there looking for a team mate to pass to inside 50.
All the Carlton players flooded back to guard space instead of closing him down, causing a situation where he didn't want to kick the ball into his own 50 because there was no one with room to kick it to.

That's the way footy will be in a few years time unless something is done to stop it.

Just picking a random year 1985 in the opening round there were 60, 51, 69, 71, 61 and 55 free kicks paid in each game

71! If that happened this year, heads would roll. And you're complaining about them getting close to 40 :rolleyes:
Ah 30 per side changes it. Only said close to 40 as I thought 30 was the benchmark.
I'll watch closely this week and see if it's free flowing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Against Richmond in round 2, a Richmond player had the ball on the wing and was moving forward. Not one Carlton player moved towards him and so he had to stop on the wing and just stand there looking for a team mate to pass to inside 50.
All the Carlton players flooded back to guard space instead of closing him down, causing a situation where he didn't want to kick the ball into his own 50 because there was no one with room to kick it to.

That's the way footy will be in a few years time unless something is done to stop it.

All that illustrates is two mediocre teams playing at their level. The good teams don't play like that.
Are you suggesting bringing in rules to stop good teams being good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my biggest problem with afl is there is way too much of it, games on thursday friday saturday sunday monday then the endless media coverage, all the shows, etc.

less is more!

Funny thing though, people back then would complain about the howler - just like they do today - but rarely complained about the number of frees paid. Congestion was also cleared rather quickly simply because a free was paid so often.

All that illustrates is two mediocre teams playing at their level. The good teams don't play like that.
Are you suggesting bringing in rules to stop good teams being good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No what I am illustrating is that the trend of the game has evolved into players being directed to guard space more than guarding their direct opponent.

When you see teams flood back they are guarding space in the defensive 50, while the opposition set up a wall outside 50.

Aussie Rules was intended to have players contesting for the ball, not have entire teams focused on guarding space to deny the opposition anywhere to kick the ball.

Lets have one on one contests again where the player's skills and determination win out, not the player's ability to run and guard space.

I guarantee you that if a team just camped themselves out in the forward line of Geelong or Hawthorn, even those 2 great teams would find it hard to score.

Look at the players being recruited these days, its running ability first followed by skill level.

I have to agree with the OP, I am loosing interest in the game, it feels like the corporate world has bought the game and is selling it to the fans for a price.

There seems to be more interest in how many attended the game, pleasing the sponsors, fixturing the games to please the TV ratings, growing the big clubs at the expense of the small clubs than actually the quality of the games. Critics of the game are silenced, Coaches and clubs are not allowed to publicly criticize the umpires, or question decisions, the AFL is just a law until itself changing the game with no consultation with players or coaches and certainly not fans.

When the salary cap came in, it was to create a level playing field and I think it did, teams who were not known for their success such as St Kilda, Swans even North Melbourne played in Grand Finals, Geelong have broken through and won premierships, the doggies my team have played more finals that two of the big four in Carlton and Essendon over the last decade, but now that the competition is focusing solely on money again, we are going to back to an uneven playing field of the 60s and 70s. This means there will be more poor games, more blowouts, a small group of teams who will win premierships, and going back to luring the good players away from the small teams in free agency. This is just back to the past from what I can see.

We keep getting the 'blockbuster' shoved at us, but they seem too manufactured, I went along to the Geelong Hawthorn game, and while the game was good, the atmosphere was not there, it was very quiet, my idea of blockbusters is very loud affairs where the fans are willing their teams home. Hawks fans were leaving halfway through the last quarter, of what was still a good game.

Obviously wrong? I told you the reason why it was utter s**t.

It was this for 120 minutes regardless of the weather or ground conditions:

Kick it to a contest, ball is spolied and picked up by crumber and kicked another 20 meters for another contest to be picked up by a shitty player who then kicks it sideways and it ends up looking like a massive scrap. Ump finds a free and then player kicks it long to another contest of 8 blokes no one takes a mark and it spills for another player to kick it to another contest. Its this way until one team kicks it to the only player who can take a decent mark for him to play on and kick it to another contest in the forward line for it to be spilled and kicked the other way and we restart with the long bomb but this time its going the other way.

Repeat and rinse for 120 minutes.

Clearly that's far superior to any kind of tactic that has been devised in the last decade.

Its why when the code was taken OS it was laughed at. I remember showing a game to my family OS and they laughed at the sillyness of the code and the stupidty of it all. Did they convert..no!

I am sure if I go OS and show my younger cousins the game again they would not laugh like they did back in the late 80s.

sorry to be ignorant, but i could'nt give a rats as to what people overseas think of our game, your judging the game on what people who have no love of it think??????, i'm in the states and watch some NFL boring as batshit, alot of yanks think the same thing because big business has taken it away from the masses, most here watch college ball...
heres a point for serious debate a 90's north melbourne would flog any team today, 2014 sides would not get close......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back