Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
What's your iconic moment? There are three 3 categories. For me

Aussie: Sally Pearson
British: Mo Farah
Overall: Usain Bolt 200m to seal himself as a legend.

Great Olympic games despite our under achieving and the best I've seen since Sydney.

Men's singles badminton final
Snell/Mills buzzerbeaters in the basketball
The German hockey umpire pushing away some Spanish player in the game against the Kookas
The Lesotho marathon runner yesterday being the last to finish, walked the last 10km to a massive crowd reception. 20 blokes didn't finish. :thumbsu:
The Turkey and Brazil women's indoor volleyball teams. The Dutch and NZ women's hockey teams.
The Swedish men's handball coach. The guy is insane and stuck in the 60s.
The 45-minute sit-in/protest by the South Korean fencer
Mr Bean & Paul McCartney
Finish line carnage at the 50km walk
Kazakhstan national anthem....over and over.
Robert Harting - German men's discuss champion, the celebration and the aftermath
and Bolt. ******* Bolt.

For me these two

Gold medallists Mo Farah and Usain Bolt of Jamaica pose on the podium
Gold medallists Mo Farah and Usain Bolt pose on the podium on Day 15 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at Olympic Stadium

The roar in the crowd for both of Mo's 2 events was pretty amazing. To really appreciate it I was lucky to have taped the Men's Javelin final which was on during the race. The noise was bloody loud and Daley Thompson couldn't control himself and talked about the last 2 laps and result even though he wasn't supposed to - field guys were told to only talk about their event not others going on.

1403247_M01.jpg

and posted this in the athletics field thread.

Forgot to write about this when it was on, but was waiting for the video. On Tuesday night/Wednesday morning German Discuss world champ Robert Harting who finished 4th in Beijing won gold, celebrated by running to the crowd and his supporters, ripped off his shirt, got a German flag and then ran the 100m hurdles jumping over them as they had been laid out in preperation for Sally. When interviewed he said he was prepared to give Sally some tips. But some bloody commentator had a winge and said it was a disgrace and he should be sanctioned. (his jumping starts from about 1:15 in the video)

i reckon what rudisha is doing at the moment in the 800 is the most individually impressive performance, but these olympics are all about usain bolt. back to back triple gold medallists on the track is just epic.

as with any olympics there are plenty of great moments, but when people look back in 20 years time these will be all about usain. just as 1988 was all about ben johnson's getting caught...

usually there is pretty good debate centered on this topic, but i just don't see how it could be argued any other way for 2012

I'll go around the common ones:

Aussie: Tom Slingsby - thank God for the sailing team.

Other: Journeyman Brent Hayden winning Bronze in the 100m Freestyle. Swam the race of his life to make the podium and his first Olympic medal.

Overall: David Rudisha and the field in the mens 800m. To think the bloke who ran 8th would've won gold 4 years ago - Olympics at it's finest.

usually there is pretty good debate centered on this topic, but i just don't see how it could be argued any other way for 2012

for the next 3 years i will be athletics fapping over bolt stepping up to the 400 and rudisha stepping down to the 400, and see those two and james battle it out... only for 2015 to roll around and realise it was never really a chance of happening.

i was adamant bolt would try for the 1-2-4 treble (outrageous to even try it let alone succeed) but in reality it was always a long shot and in the end was never going to happen after he hit a few hurdles with injury and form and then the 2011 false start was the end of any chance that happening. he'd be a fair chance to break the 400m world record if he stepped up (as will kirani james soon enough), but it's different doing it in competition in the same week due to the scheduling.

for the next 3 years i will be athletics fapping over bolt stepping up to the 400 and rudisha stepping down to the 400, and see those two and james battle it out... only for 2015 to roll around and realise it was never really a chance of happening.

i was adamant bolt would try for the 1-2-4 treble (outrageous to even try it let alone succeed) but in reality it was always a long shot and in the end was never going to happen after he hit a few hurdles with injury and form and then the 2011 false start was the end of any chance that happening. he'd be a fair chance to break the 400m world record if he stepped up (as will kirani james soon enough), but it's different doing it in competition in the same week due to the scheduling.
i dont think Bolt will go on to the next olympics. He hinted that there are other things in life he wants to do, and in reality he has nothing to prove. In 2016 i think he will be 30 years old, which is when injuries (especially hamstrings) really become common place for sprinters. Id hate to see his legacy tarnished because he went on to one too many games.

Anyway, the moment for me was the womens 4x100m freestyle gold for Australia. The seppos were favourites but it was another upset victory for us in a close race all the way. Shame it happened on the first night of the olympics and lulled us all into a false sense of security ;)

i reckon what rudisha is doing at the moment in the 800 is the most individually impressive performance, but these olympics are all about usain bolt. back to back triple gold medallists on the track is just epic.

as with any olympics there are plenty of great moments, but when people look back in 20 years time these will be all about usain. just as 1988 was all about ben johnson's getting caught...

I agree with you re Rudisha achievements at the moment. I thought about saying Bolt + Rudisha but went with Mo Farah because his impact on the British athletics scene and his story of struggle from a migrant outcast and how he has spent times with the Kenyans in London, then went and lived with them in Kenya, to learn from them and went to training camps set up by Cuban-American long distance great Alberto Salazar in the US, for US athletes, sponsored by Nike. He was neither but Salazar found him such a great bloke that he took him in.

Doing the double, the 7th behind legends of the track, Kolehmainen, Zatopek, Kuts, Viren, Yifter and Bekele ( Paavo Nurmi did a career double not a same games double) and at home was an enormous achievement and well covered in this article by Sunday Times journo David Walsh picked up by the Oz and saying Modern Britain has a new multicultral hero.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...lticultural-hero/story-fne39yqs-1226448734243

Yeah the debate will be limited as Phelps didn't dominate like he did in Beijing but Bolt did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bingo he will never try the treble in an Olympics or World Champs because the scheduling makes it pretty much impossible.

I disagree. I think Rudisha is getting a lot of good press because he is breaking the World record RIGHT NOW. Bolt hasn't - but only because he has set his own WRs so high.

In the 800, Coe and Cruz were running 1.41.7 back in the early 1980s - now Rudisha is running 1.40.9.

In the early 1980s, the World record in the 100m was 9.93 (Calvin Smith - Lewis ran 9.92 in 88). Since then Bolt has taken .35 of a second off it. That's a much more impressive drop (and it's obviously not all Bolt).

Since Rudisha started breaking the old world record (he's done it 3 times), he has take 0.2 seconds off Kipketer's record. Since Bolt started breaking the world record (he's done it 3 times), he has taken 0.16 off the old record. He has taken 0.13 off Johnson's 'unbreakable' 200m record. The 100m lasts less than 1/10 the time of the 800.

If Bolt had not previously run a 9.58, turned up here and ran a 9.63 it would rank as one of the greatest 100m performances of all time. But because we EXPECT 9.58 - it's ho-hum.

At the moment, Bolt is the athlete performing at the highest level relative to his competitors and history. All the hype - thoroughly deserved.

At the moment, Bolt is the athlete performing at the highest level relative to his competitors and history. All the hype - thoroughly deserved.

the hype is definately thoroughly deserved, don't disagree with that.

i'm probably biased. my brother was a real good 800 metre runner at school (1.55), i was pretty good (2.07), so i've always had a soft spot for the 800 and not since kipketer was lighting up the track in the late 90's has there been a truly great 800 metre runner.

AUSTRALIAN-Pearson
BRITS-The opening ceremony if that can count. Thought it was brilliant. Well done Mr Doyle (and UNderworld). Also Victoria Pendleton was the fittest bird to me at the Olympics.
OVERALL-bolt Bolt BOLT! What a legend. Nice to see him put an actual drug cheat (Lewis) in his place.

David Rudisha, absolutely incredible.:thumbsu:

Some sympathy for the poor Muslim chick from Saudi Arabia who had to compete in her clothes, absolute stupidity.:thumbsdown:

i wonder why they felt like they couldn't just give him the baton in the first place?

aside from general pedanticness....

AUSTRALIA: Sally Pearson, she won an event in Athletics, a sport that nearly every nation in the world competes in (unlike cycling, swimming, canoeing, & sailing, not to put a dampener on the great efforts of those gold medal winners), and to be both the World & Olympic Champion in a event where that rarely happens is something magnificent.

GREAT BRITAIN: The whole team from Jessica Ennis to Mo Farah to Victoria Pendleton, they have perfomed brilliantly and to go from nearly getting 30 golds in london after only getting 1 in Atlanta (prompting the Brititsh government to fund the olympic team with winnings from the National Lottery), is the end result of a lot of funding, great coaching and better talent scouts.

WORLD: As much as I enjoyed Rudisha & Phelps, this was Usain Bolt's games, it's his world and we're just lucky to live in it:).

SPECIAL MENTION: Gour Marial for becoming the first olympian from South Sudan, I hope that they can have a NOC by 2016 so he can march under his own flag, which would be a great achievementt.

The marathon runner from Lesotho (Tsepo Ramonene) who did what over 20 other runners couldn't and that was to finish, and that's what your country asked of you and you did it well.

And Afghanistan winning a bronze in Taekwondo (through Rohulla Nikpal, who also won bronze in Beijing), a wonderful prize for a nation that needs positive images and role models.

i wonder why they felt like they couldn't just give him the baton in the first place?

aside from general pedanticness....
I suppose they can't really have athletes souveniring the equipment left right and centre, and I guess it's not for the lowest minion of officialdom who collects the batons after the race to decide when the moment is right to make an exception. It all worked out in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back