Expansion If the AFL expanded, where would the next team/s be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't it problematic that their VFL side went under?

I'd imagine that would probably rule out a team there pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah that club couldn't get numbers each week. 26 players were on their list. They relied too much on Essendon. It would be rubbed out quickly, but it will always be open. If they did join the AFL, there would be draft concessions and they'd be able to get VERY elite players.

Not a specific Vic county town, but an all-encompassing Vic Country team. Perhaps a region, like the Golden Triangle, lots of history, decent sized towns, I've been to a few of them, they'll show up for anything!

"City of Greater Bendigo. Estimated Resident Population (ERP) The official population of the City of Greater Bendigo as of the 30th June 2014, is 106,971. The Estimated Resident Population is the OFFICIAL City of Greater Bendigo population for 2014."

- So I nicked that from the quickest of google searches. Not sure the surrounding areas would add too much.
The knock against a team in Tassie is having a population large enough to support a club. I would think that would pretty much eliminate any discussion around Bendigo.

Places like Tassie and The NT are out of the question.. no young bloke would want to live in places like that. Doesn't suit the lifestyle of a bloke 18-30, as soon as their contacts are up they will request a trade.
There are two too many teams in the comp as it is.

AFL would love to stick it to League and have a side in Newcastle down the track, but its a pipe dream I rekcon - they are League through and through.

Canberra may be on their radar at some stage given its in that border line region between Aussie Rules and League, but I guess it depends on GWS' stance on the ACT... right now they are treating it as a secondary market while some may argue its the Giants' "Plan B".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stupidest thing in the WAFL is West Perth keeping their name yet now being based and playing in a suburb 30kms away.

Hawthorn looking to move to Dingley - which is next to Moorabbin!

In addition, Collingwood have decamped down Punt Rd. to Melbourne. Essendon meanwhile are based in Tullamarine!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back