Opinion I'm sick of hearing that Jack Riewoldt is in career best form

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty debatable. The reason his role changed so much was because he was being figured out, keep a strong full back on him and if that doesn't work, just drop someone else back to cover the space he uses.

2010 Riewoldt playing in 2015 wouldn't be a good as 2015 Riewoldt playing in 2010 imo.
Maybe he was being worked out but at the time he was still having his breakout season. So it is wrong to compare the seasons based on your theory as he was a superstar in 2010
A bit like comparing Lids as a Back flanker to a midfielder to a Forward flanker. Very good players are men for all seasons and are smart enough to adapt their game
Riewoldt on Friday Played closer to goal more like his 2010 role IMO

I've been saying he's underrated for the past 5 years. Not just opposition supporters but many on here as well that haven't rated him and wanted him traded...etc. This year he's playing great again and I really hope he gets some recognition like a B & F and All Australian.

He's playing great footy at the moment, and this is the best he's looked in a few years, but it sickens me how everyone just pretends his 2010 season never happened.

Back in 2010, after starting the season with 15.15 in his first 7 games, he went on a goalkicking rampage that hasn't been matched since.

4 goals vs Hawthorn
6 goals vs Essendon
4 goals vs Port Adelaide
6 goals vs St Kilda
10 goals vs West Coast
3 goals vs Brisbane
5 goals vs Sydney
5 goals vs Fremantle
3 goals vs North
2 goals vs Collingwood
2 goals vs Adelaide
1 goal vs Melbourne
2 goals vs Carlton
7 goals vs St Kilda
3 goals vs Port Adelaide
6 goals vs Carlton
0 goals vs St Kilda (KO'd in the first 5 minutes)
1 goal vs Hawthorn
4 goals vs Collingwood
5 goals vs North
5 goals vs Brisbane
4 goals vs Fremantle
4 goals vs Bulldogs
4 goals vs Essendon
3 goals vs Port

That's 99 goals in 24/25 games. Dave Gourdis crunched his ribs shortly after that and he slowed down a bit.

Jack absolutely dominated back in 2010. It's great that he's now managing to have an impact even when he's held to 1-2 goals, but he was winning games off his own boot in 2010. Colossal. Yet if you go onto the main board and say that Jack's peak was better than Tommahawk's or Taylor Walker's you'll get howled down as a crazy person. Seriously, try it some time.

It's nice to see him starting to get some recognition as a gun forward, because he has been disgustingly maligned for a long, long time.

End rant

Peptides

Does anyone still think he's currently better than in 2010?

Really struggling lately but Darce and co still saying that he's greatly improved this year.
It'll be nice and dry in September, hopefully. He'll turn on beast mode. One thing he's been doing that's annoyed me is these 10 metre passes in the 50 metres that rarely come off, just take a shot.

He looks injured to me. Not moving as well as he was earlier in the year and not holding his marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone still think he's currently better than in 2010?

Really struggling lately but Darce and co still saying that he's greatly improved this year.

yeah i do but the last few weeks have been quiet.

is all round game is ten times better than 2010, he was a pure goal kicker back then now he is a genuine footballer.

Maybe he was being worked out but at the time he was still having his breakout season. So it is wrong to compare the seasons based on your theory as he was a superstar in 2010
A bit like comparing Lids as a Back flanker to a midfielder to a Forward flanker. Very good players are men for all seasons and are smart enough to adapt their game
Riewoldt on Friday Played closer to goal more like his 2010 role IMO

and Hurley is one of the best defenders.

yeah i do but the last few weeks have been quiet.

is all round game is ten times better than 2010, he was a pure goal kicker back then now he is a genuine footballer.

His all round game has always been solid. People make it sound like he gets a lot more possesion up and around the ground but in reality he just gets an extra 1.5 handballs a game. That doesn't make up for the 1.5-2 fewer goals that he kicks.

His all round game has always been solid. People make it sound like he gets a lot more possesion up and around the ground but in reality he just gets an extra 1.5 handballs a game. That doesn't make up for the 1.5-2 fewer goals that he kicks.

i disagree, he plays a completely different game these days then what he did back in 2010 and i base that on personal observations not just on what eveyone else is saying.

The last month has been a bit of a shame because I think it will maybe cost him All Australian.

Four weeks ago I was having the discussion about whether he would be selected, and I was very confident that he would. The way I see it this year, the selectors will pick J.Ked as easily the outstanding forward in the comp and then just might even make up a forward line of the best other 5 forwards, regardless of the usual considerations of size and style of play. Needing a certain amount of talls and smalls has become largely irrelevant this year.

In that setup, he used to be ahead of the likes of Bruce, Cameron, Walker because he had a similar goal tally but better half forward/assist stats. Unfortunately his form and numbers have dipped a bit and he is now right back into the pack in both goals and measurable stats.

It would have been nice to see his year rewarded with a tangible AA selection, but I don't think it will happen now. Still, it's been a brilliant year for him and he has received other recognition.

The debate over whether it's his 'best' year is really interesting. 2010 was a classic FF year, lots of goals, his achievements so separate from how the side was going. And he was rewarded with a Coleman and AA selection. This year, he has turned into a true modern forward, works more, does more at ground level and defensively, assists more than ever. A lot of people will say he's better now than in 2010, and he certainly is for the team. Even given all that, he might not get the AA nod to go with it...

i disagree, he plays a completely different game these days then what he did back in 2010 and i base that on personal observations not just on what eveyone else is saying.

This is spot on. Statistics will not show how well he is playing this year. You just need to watch the games.

I'm sick of everyone emphasising how unselfish he's been "lately".

FFS he's been unselfish for 5 years!

Yup agreed. Maybe not so much in 2010 but ever since then it has been the case. Total joke.

They think because he's been a full forward and given to petulance that means he's selfish. No logic.

The last month has been a bit of a shame because I think it will maybe cost him All Australian.

Four weeks ago I was having the discussion about whether he would be selected, and I was very confident that he would. The way I see it this year, the selectors will pick J.Ked as easily the outstanding forward in the comp and then just might even make up a forward line of the best other 5 forwards, regardless of the usual considerations of size and style of play. Needing a certain amount of talls and smalls has become largely irrelevant this year.

In that setup, he used to be ahead of the likes of Bruce, Cameron, Walker because he had a similar goal tally but better half forward/assist stats. Unfortunately his form and numbers have dipped a bit and he is now right back into the pack in both goals and measurable stats.

It would have been nice to see his year rewarded with a tangible AA selection, but I don't think it will happen now. Still, it's been a brilliant year for him and he has received other recognition.

The debate over whether it's his 'best' year is really interesting. 2010 was a classic FF year, lots of goals, his achievements so separate from how the side was going. And he was rewarded with a Coleman and AA selection. This year, he has turned into a true modern forward, works more, does more at ground level and defensively, assists more than ever. A lot of people will say he's better now than in 2010, and he certainly is for the team. Even given all that, he might not get the AA nod to go with it...

He was very hard done by in 2012. Usually when it's a 50/50 call they go with the player that's been a consistent gun for years. Not in 2012 though, they went with Tommahawk who had the first quality season of his career.

2011 he was absolutely robbed blind by Petrie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back