Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star
Sep 12, 2008
Naracoorte
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Norwood, Memphis Grizzlies, Bengals
Hi all, it's a Saturday night and I'm having a quiet one for the first time in month. Might as well do something interesting and constructive and go start individually reviewing our players for the year. Other posters feel free to continue on and do threads for other players, perhaps in alphabetical order until we get through our entire list.

So lets kick it off:

1. Dylan Addison

Games:
Goals: 0

Best game: 19 disposals, 4 inside 50's, 6 tackles vs Richmond.

Comment:
Disappointing year from DFA. Injuries and form have kept him out of our 22, after showing some good signs late last year. Never going to be a star, and may be lucky to be on the list next year, but could be retained as a depth player who can provide some muscle and hardness at the ball.

Grade: D

2. Ed Barlow (rookie)

Games: 8
Goals: 4

Best game: 22 disposals, 9 marks, 7 inside 50's, 2 goals vs Gold Coast

Comment:
A handy but not spectacular recruit. Barlow came off the rookie list late in the year to mixed reactions. Was touted as the softest player to ever take the field, but held his end up well at times. Not a supreme player who can impact games, but a flexible tall option who can float around the ground. Again, not going to be a superstar but is a handly depth player. Likely be retained on the rookie list and kept as insurance for injury.

Grade: C+

3. Matthew Boyd

Games:
Goals: 8

Best game: 39 disposals, 8 inside 50's, 3 goals vs Port Adelaide

Comment:
A solid individual year for our skipper. At times was a little off with his disposal but consistently won the ball and set up our midfield. Possible AA nomination and will finish either #1 or #2 in our best and fairest.

Grade: A

Pretty much on the money;

Last year Addison showed his best position as a defensive forward but given he doesn't add much forward pressure is one paced and doesn't kick goals would struggle, may be kept for depth but not likely to have any impact at AFL level now, possible trade/delisting.

Barlow played a couple of decent games against crap opposition but late of year has been shown up badly, pretty slow and makes bad decisions, would be disappointed if promoted to main list but no objection to retaining as 2nd year rookie for depth.

Boyd, overrated by some of media and underrated by a lot of Bulldogs fans will be contending B&F with Griffen and Murphy and Bulldog most likely to get AA nod despite Griffen prob having the better season.

That's a reasonable assessment, Gus.

Addison seems to have gone backwards, or maybe it's that others have overtaken him which is not a bad thing (for the club).

Boyd has had a big year in my opinion, possibly his best yet. I won't be surprised if he goes well in the Brownlow. Could well be AA (most disposals of any player this year even if others use it better). I think we should acknowledge that he has played a great role as captain especially with the turmoil surrounding injuries, Eade's departure and the Ward saga. His on-field leadership with so many inexperienced players in the side has been very good.

Yep fair assessments there. I think Barlow should be retained on the rookie list rather than the main list. Like him, suprised me a bit in just how good he can be. But I think rookie list for now is his best place, because with everyone up and running he's not in the best 22 to 26 players. Get some injuries and he becomes a solid back up. Can still develop also.

Addision, well you won't find anyone much harder than him, very honest player and a good bloke. But I think he may struggle to remain on our list because I think we are well served by inside mids who have more potential and he would be attractive to other teams and therefore has some trade potential.

Boydy has has had a good year, he just need to clean up the kicking a bit.

Addison doesn't have a place on our list for next year but I feel he'd be a great pick up for GWS - tough and uncompromising and could provide them with a solid defensive body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back