Injury Report - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Balta is an odd example to use for your point as he is a literal Goliath. The bloke has a massive upper body.

Also, big arms aren't necessarily the be all and end all, but you do surely get the correlation between size and a players propensity in the gym and genetics, and therefore strength.
This is the elite level, they have programs designed for them and guys with greater size and mass have that because of these programs to improve performance.

Larger arms and upper body is just an easy way to visualise that to the naked eye. A players muscle development is usually in proportion, they're not sitting in the gym doing bicep curls and nothing else, if a player has big arms it's because his overall physique has been developed well for AFL.

That's not the case at the amateur level where you can just focus on making your arms big to look good without much else supporting it.

Not sure all players are in the same proportion, which seems to be what you are suggesting. I would wager there are major differences in the proportion of some player's upper leg muscles versus to their upper arm muscles compared to other players. I do accept though that players will have taylored programs designed to improve their functional strength across their whole bodies.

That aside, your post just about all makes sense except Balta isn't my example, he is the player nominated by the poster to whom I was responding:

I watched the Lions / Blues game last night.

Charlie Curnow's arms are bigger than our entire squad combined. That guy is a elite physical player. We have no one close to that level of fitness & thats what a power forward needs to look like. Balta is not close to that physicality at this point.

So you should be setting that guy straight not me.

Richmond Injury List:

Unavailable

Tylar Young, concussion protocols (1 week)

Jack Graham, quad (2-3 weeks)

Dion Prestia, hamstring (TBC)

Liam Fawcett, back (TBC - Long Term)

Mate Colina, back (TBC - Long Term)

Josh Gibcus, knee (season)

Still filthy on the Tigers selection. :mad::mad::mad:

Grimes and Prestia should have both only played one game, it's obvious watching the replay/s. two games in 5 days was going to be too taxing for where they are at this time of their careers... both have lost flexibility and nimbleness.......panicking about younger oppositions players Grimes fell over about five times and some of Dion's movements he was going half-hearted.

Lol ok, definitive proof Curnow has more power than Balta in a kpp context and our list doesn't have sufficient upper body strength to play good football.

You are about 7 tangents off the point of my response now.
* Charlie curnow and the horse he rode in on, he don't play for us we should not be talking about the bitch

Richmond Injury List:

Unavailable

Tylar Young, concussion protocols (1 week)

Jack Graham, quad (2-3 weeks)

Dion Prestia, hamstring (TBC)

Liam Fawcett, back (TBC - Long Term)

Mate Colina, back (TBC - Long Term)

Josh Gibcus, knee (season)

Is Liam Fawcett going to be our next kid who we won't see for 3 years?

How can you be TBC- Long Term? Im confused unless the acronym for TBC has changed since Meehan started with his weapons of mass destruction?
They know he'll be out for a while, but aren't sure exactly how long at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's very concerning that both Jack Graham and Dion prestia basically done their injuries with only about a minimum rotation of their bodies when running at about 85% speed. I know it's horses for courses and training is different now, but KB/flea would have done similar ball gathering/ball carrying actions x 5000 times to these two fellas. and here is an interesting one for the tiger army !......how come Jack Revolt had 400 different types of injuries but never a hamstring/calf or quad.....??

MUST have something to do with upper vs lower body ratios as meatball and Jack are both very very barrel chested.

Hard to see him getting anymore than a 1 year deal at reduced to coin if he stays...
I don't think we'd cut him but his career is definitely at the crossroads, he could choose to leave.

But still why was Prestia played on a 5-day break? but they rested Martin & Lynch didn't really make sense given Prestia's injury history.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back