inside 50's

Remove this Banner Ad

The league average for inside 50's is 51.57, thats nothing special, nothing high, just the average.

So far this year our game totals have been 52, 34, 42, 43, 39, 31, 36, only round 1 against a bottom 4 side we managed to just crack the average, every other game we are well short of just reaching the average.

It's all great having a bright talent like Hogan in the forward line (it's been a credit to him how well he's played given the ball is never up there), but our forwards are getting no help at all from further up the field, we need to turn this stat around to give our forwards a chance at what they are supposed to do.

As the commentators have mentioned ad nauseam, our score conversion when we actually get the bloody thing in there is pretty good. In fact it's very good - almost (if not) best in the league. We just can't get it there.

No confidence to attack quick, direct and deep + continual turnovers in the midfield.

Quality mids win games. We ain't got enough at the moment.

It's poor coaching IMO, most scores come from turnovets these days and teams just wait for us to kick to an outnumbered contest 70m out and then rebound

But even worse is once the ball goes deep into our defence, we don't have the call users to bring it out dangerously so we end up conceding multiple I50s

Then of course when we finally get it in there Garlett or Hogan do something magical so we only have 1 or 2 at a time

The team isnt coached to be stagnant.

In pre season we moved the ball pretty well and in games weve thought we were in this year we have too - our players have hone into their shells against the top teams.

We almost need to play a game against one of the top 4 where the coach says before the game ' take the corridor kick everytime' ' their will be no repocussions no matter how bad the kick is

Hankering for some 186?

The team isnt coached to be stagnant.

In pre season we moved the ball pretty well and in games weve thought we were in this year we have too - our players have hone into their shells against the top teams.
You sure? I haven't heard Roos come out and say that he can't understand why we have played so differently the last few weeks to the first few. Granted, no one in the media has the balls to question anything he does, but to me it's seems exactly like that's the way we've been coached. It also seems exactly like a Paul Roos coaches side does it not?

You sure? I haven't heard Roos come out and say that he can't understand why we have played so differently the last few weeks to the first few. Granted, no one in the media has the balls to question anything he does, but to me it's seems exactly like that's the way we've been coached. It also seems exactly like a Paul Roos coaches side does it not?

He actually has said something similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a simple game that's been complicated by:

1. super fit athletics being drafted at the expense of footballers

2. too many support coaches over analysing the game to justify their positions

3. too many knee jerk rule changes

It's keepings off. Being first to the ball is a big advantage. Using it well helps a lot.

We aren't first to the ball at centre ball ups and around the ground clearances.

Our inside 50s refect this.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...-to-shake-off-hawks-loss-20150520-gh5umg.html

Roos said the players had tried to open up their offence at the weekend, but that had left them vulnerable.

"That's probably part of the transition for us, if you are trying to be more bold with the ball movement, your turnovers become more obvious," he said.

If that was us trying to attack more, expect a defensive as * game against the bulldogs

I think you're missing his point mate, if you watch the whole presser it makes sense.

Can't say I did, I used to like listening to his pressers but I barely bother anymore , he is too media savvy
Rarely gets the hard question and Is always able to move the line of questioning pretty quickly

Because we very rarely run and carry the ball we are the worlds greatest victim of the forward press. Roos constantly talks about poor skills and turnovers, well that is what your going to get if every kick is to a contest. Hawthorns skills are good but they aren't under anywhere near the pressure as they are constantly running and carrying the ball which opens up zone defences.
That's why Harry O is important, he's just about the only player who instinctively wants to carry the ball. Sure he kicks it away a bit but at least he gives us a chance. I reckon we should trade for Yarran too so we get another ball carrier off half back.

Because we very rarely run and carry the ball we are the worlds greatest victim of the forward press. Roos constantly talks about poor skills and turnovers, well that is what your going to get if every kick is to a contest. Hawthorns skills are good but they aren't under anywhere near the pressure as they are constantly running and carrying the ball which opens up zone defences.
That's why Harry O is important, he's just about the only player who instinctively wants to carry the ball. Sure he kicks it away a bit but at least he gives us a chance. I reckon we should trade for Yarran too so we get another ball carrier off half back.

The problem with Chumbuwumba is he is unpredictable with his run an carry so his attacking team mates are out of positon as well and they don't know where to run

would still hate to see him stop taking the game on. It's his biggest asset and as a club we are in desperate need of some attacking players.

I've said it before, but we've over-corrected.

I want us to understand that when the opposition kicks 2 goals in a row, we need to revert to last years game plan and halt the momentum. I don't give a * if it's 'boring' to watch. Once we've stemmed the flow for 4 or 5 minutes, we can try to wrestle back some momentum and get attacking again.

The second part to it, is we just don't have very good ball users coming out of defense and into the middle. Salem will develop into a weapon here, but he'll need another few helpers who can spear 50 metre passes that hurt the opposition from the backline, in order that we get a few good runs through the middle.

Grimes, M Jones, Toumpas, Frost, Howe, Bail and Lumumba have all had roles running from defense this year, and they are turnover merchants of the highest order.

In fact I'd say Lumumba and Howe are the only genuine AFL footballers amongst them - but their strengths are certainly not being damaging kickers.

We need Brodie Smith, Laughlin Whitfield and Harley Bennell.

would still hate to see him stop taking the game on. It's his biggest asset and as a club we are in desperate need of some attacking players.
Harry isn't getting a touch. It's Vince I want to see back off the leash. Enough tag jobs.

Can't say I did, I used to like listening to his pressers but I barely bother anymore , he is too media savvy
Rarely gets the hard question and Is always able to move the line of questioning pretty quickly

This. I like Roosy but he is s**t boring to listen to in the media, gives absolutely nothing away. If I was an opposition coach I'd hate him on 360, at least Bucks is pretty honest.

This. I like Roosy but he is s**t boring to listen to in the media, gives absolutely nothing away. If I was an opposition coach I'd hate him on 360, at least Bucks is pretty honest.
He's definitely the master of that and he knows it. As a supporter I'm not too fazed but Fox must surely be starting to find him a little tedious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back