Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually work at a gym and some of the stuff I see make me cringe in embarrassment for them!

Who named it a squat rack? Why not a power rack? Plenty of things you can do on/in it other than squats. Next you'll be hating on someone using an adjustable bench in the flat position when they could be using a flat bench

What if there are no other adjustable benches available but flat benches to spare?

But there are a few which a pretty useful like calf raises, and I'm sure people could name plenty more. My mate was working on cleans and he would have the bar sit on the rests at the bottom of the rack so he didn't have to do the "deadlift" part, just the getting it up part so he could work on catching a weight.
I've been supersetting standing calf raises in the squat rack after each set of squats - efficient workout and takes very little extra time.
One of the old faithful complaints from this morning - someone hadn't deloaded the bar in the squat rack. It's common courtesy FFS

My gym is only the one we have on our college residence. Not the main university one, but the small one that is in our building. So it's really small which makes it I think one of the only places it's socially acceptable to leave the weights on the bar. If we were to unload each bar they would only sit on the ground in a mess anyway so I think we have an unwritten agreement that it's fine to leave the bar loaded.

Who named it a squat rack? Why not a power rack? Plenty of things you can do on/in it other than squats. Next you'll be hating on someone using an adjustable bench in the flat position when they could be using a flat bench
Absolutely, there are many things you can do in it. And that is fine if it is a quiet day and there is nobody waiting around to use it. I just don't see the need for somebody to be deadlifting in a power rack, when they can be deadlifting anywhere else in the gym.

I guess it's just me being courteous of other members - like your adjustable/flat bench scenario. I won't use an adjustable bench if there is a flat one available. Would the world be a better place if nobody gave a toss about anyone else? Doubtful.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Left my earphones at home today so couldn't listen to music. Ended up overhearing this goofy-looking campaigner talk about how great he is. Spent the majority of his time trying to chat up some hairy hipster girl. Told her how he works full-time, works some weekends, studies part-time and rewards himself at the end of each semester with a trip to Vanuatu (loves to travel, apparently). He still does the music festival thing, despite appearing to be in his mid 30s. He also spent 30 mins in the squat rack. Was the biggest utensil and attention whore I've seen.

Spent the majority of his time trying to chat up some hairy hipster girl.
I don't get people who go the gym to chat.
I say hello to the PTs and a quick g'day to the regulars, but making conversation (esp. with a stranger) just seems plain creepy.

I say hello to the PTs and a quick g'day to the regulars, but making conversation (esp. with a stranger) just seems plain creepy.
Same. I pretty much just give the PT's a head nod or a 'hey' and continue on. Only time I'll stop to chat is after my workout.

I don't get people who go the gym to chat.

I wouldn't be against a chat, so long as the other person was also engaging and not wishing I would shut up and leave them alone, and I back myself to be able to notice the difference here. Also so long as it is only a chat, 5-10 minutes tops, if it's going any longer find some other place to do it. But the main objective in the gym is always fitness, so if someone is spending a decent amount of time talking, or going from person to person trying to have a conversation then I agree it's creepy and annoying.

Yeah, I've chatted back to people who wanted to chat to me, but even then it's normally only a minute or two.
I'm pretty fortunate that most people who go to my gym (especially the morning regulars) are pretty respectful.

One guy (fat bad-from guy) often tries to start conversations, tends to get the message eventually when people go back to actually working out.

Yeah, I've chatted back to people who wanted to chat to me, but even then it's normally only a minute or two.
I'm pretty fortunate that most people who go to my gym (especially the morning regulars) are pretty respectful.

There isn't a whole lot to talk about in a gym anyway unless you already sort of know the person, if you don't know them you don't want to hear about their day so have nothing to discuss. "Weights are heavy to day aren't they?"

There isn't a whole lot to talk about in a gym anyway unless you already sort of know the person, if you don't know them you don't want to hear about their day so have nothing to discuss. "Weights are heavy to day aren't they?"
Talk footy to one of the PTs at times, or gigs coming up.
Not much else to discuss really - most people where I work out (myself included) tend to be fairly efficient, especially considering it is only a small gym with a few pieces of each equipment; get in, use benchs/chins set-up etc as quickly as possible or alternate with whoever else wants to use it, get out.

I imagine larger gyms with huge space & groups of mates who all come in at once to workout would have a different vibe

People putting weight plates onto the wrong spike and/or mixing them up with other wieght plates on the same spike grinds me to the ground. It's atrocious behaviour imo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back