Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an acquired ability. It's taken me months to master good form and I realise not everyone will actually have good form but it'simportant not to give yourself any injuries which I think deadlift can be the easiest to do so other than squats.
I'm able to deadlift 100kg now which I'm happy with, but it really takes it out of you!

Yeah I've never really got right into deadlifts, I tried for a little while but my back wound up a bit sore. A bit of it was just I hadn't used the muscles to the same extent before so obviously they were going to wind up sore, same as every other muscle, but I also felt a little bit of the bad kind of sore back, so I didn't want to risk it.

That said, I still think they're important and make a solid foundation of strength for a lot sports, so I'll still do them, just never too heavy and really mindful of form.

trifecta tonight

1. overly slim lady. mind you, very fit #1. looked great in lyrca pants and singlet. why did she annoy me? fantastic arms (although overly slim), but in terms of overall body her biceps and triceps were toned and i was jealous.

2. members who think they own the place. in the weights area? no....at RECEPTION! at the gym i use there is a turnstile at reception. girl was standing just after turnstile, basically you couldnt go through. so i arrive, say hi to the receptionist, then stand at the turnstile waiting for this female member who was gas bagging with another admin paper pusher. after perhaps 10-17 seconds she look at me, smirked and rolled eyes and moved.

3. very attractive female member #2. doing various exercises. a male member spotting. then he proceeded to follow her around like rob hughes on the hey dad set. she was polite about it, dropped a few hints (ie thanks im good now), but he said "oh come on, its all good!". it was awkward for everyone.

It's an acquired ability. It's taken me months to master good form and I realise not everyone will actually have good form but it'simportant not to give yourself any injuries which I think deadlift can be the easiest to do so other than squats.
I'm able to deadlift 100kg now which I'm happy with, but it really takes it out of you!

Started deadlifts in October last year, with the PT teaching. Back feels amazing now.

I like the basic nature of it too - lift the sucker off the floor with good form.

This

Yeah I have extremely tight hamstrings which makes it harder for me harder for me to arch my back correctly to get good form for deadlift and sometimes get a little too sore in areas of my back that i dont think I should be..

Lol, "risk your back"

There is no substitute for the full body lift that is a deadlift

I agree with you, sounds like its just to hard of an exercise for others to do! Doing deads make you and especially your back stronger and will decrease chances of injury.

One thing that irked me a little, i noticed in the gym the other day the clock hand no seconds hand which i like to use to keep track of my rest. Not super critical but just a small thing.

I did deadlifts for years, loved them when I was doing them, just have other ways of training my back now and have no need for deadlifting, don't regret dropping them from my training and probably haven't done a regular deadlift for 2 years.
A lot of people say the same thing about squats being a complete body exercise but not everyone squats and plenty of people that I do see squatting have terrible form or poor ROM. It would be much more effective to do other exercises properly if you can't squat or deadlift properly.
Way I see it, if you're not competing in those lifts, why do you have to do them?

A lot of people say the same thing about squats being a complete body exercise but not everyone squats and plenty of people that I do see squatting have terrible form or poor ROM.
Not many people get enough exercise - that's not an excuse to avoid it all together.
A single session with a good PT (or physio or osteo) will correct form with compount movements - a session last week gave me great advice (my back squat form was great, my single-leg squat/lunge form was terrible).

I did deadlifts for years, loved them when I was doing them, just have other ways of training my back now and have no need for deadlifting, don't regret dropping them from my training and probably haven't done a regular deadlift for 2 years.
A lot of people say the same thing about squats being a complete body exercise but not everyone squats and plenty of people that I do see squatting have terrible form or poor ROM. It would be much more effective to do other exercises properly if you can't squat or deadlift properly.
Way I see it, if you're not competing in those lifts, why do you have to do them?

Any PT, gym rat, Anrie wanna bee basically anyone half into the gym will tell you that deads and squats are two must do exercises because the amount of effort energy and muscles to do them, they are so beneficial. Yes poor form for any exercises won't do you any good, all the more reason to practice proper form as the benefits from doing these exercises will only be beneficial.

Personally i love deads and squats and will do them in just about any gym program, i have cut back on deadlifts at the moment as i am in footy season and footy takes preference, my body pulls up sore from dead lifts (not crippling sore) but i want to be fresh for footy training and game day.

Of course they will, but too many guys (myself included) will always try and load up the bar and sacrifice form for weight. I much prefer front squats and stiff legged deads (that said, I rarely do those as well) now as I don't try to lift anywhere near as heavy and can maintain proper form with much better ROM. The results have paid off in my case but each to their own, if deads are giving you the results you want, then go for it. I simply don't see the need.

Not many people get enough exercise - that's not an excuse to avoid it all together.
A single session with a good PT (or physio or osteo) will correct form with compount movements - a session last week gave me great advice (my back squat form was great, my single-leg squat/lunge form was terrible).

The biggest problem is finding a good PT and average Joe actually using one. There's only a handful of PT's I would trust for heavy compound lifts, most training/working at PTC's or the like, where average joe wouldn't go or has probably never even heard of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest problem is finding a good PT and average Joe actually using one. There's only a handful of PT's I would trust for heavy compound lifts, most training/working at PTC's or the like, where average joe wouldn't go or has probably never even heard of.
Personally I think practice and repitition is all you need to correct form

Watch a few videos and see what it is supposed to look like, and from there just keep concentrating and you will get it over time. Like kicking a footy, you'll get better every time

The biggest problem is finding a good PT and average Joe actually using one.
Osteo or physio with a Masters? Each has 5 years of study + practical experience in human movement.

One session, HiCaps if you've got extras cover, too easy. You'll also get a (painful) massage too.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...n-kicked-out-of-la-fitness-gym-200046358.html

cf007ee0-d089-11e3-b820-2d616138611f_Krista-Grubb-barbell-press.png

milf

What a joke.. watch out, any gym goers, better not spot your mate or speak a word about his form.

******* planet fitness, they're honestly the worst company on earth

Also she's hot as *
Is it a Planet Fitness franchise? Wasn't clear from that. I know from other stories Planet Fitness is a disgrace. Don't lift heavy, don't be too good looking or you'll 'intimidate' their clients who are overweight. All gyms are happy with clients who pay then don't turn up, but they actively discourage anyone who may motivate people to exercise. :eek:

Personally I think practice and repitition is all you need to correct form

Watch a few videos and see what it is supposed to look like, and from there just keep concentrating and you will get it over time. Like kicking a footy, you'll get better every time
90% of people have no body awareness and are unable to dissociate hip movement from lower back movement. Deadlifts are certainly not a good exercise for everyone as they are shockingly detrimental if done without good technique.
There are so many lumbar disc issues just waiting to happen. My suggestion would be to include them, but work on form for a good month or so, wiht little more than just the bar. You have to learn the hip hinge and to dissociate hip and lumbar movement, and barely anyone masters this before loading up the bar.

Overweight clueless middle aged newbie handing out advice to some young blokes........whatevs brah!

This morning there was a couple working out at my gym who after every set felt the need to partake in some very passionate public displays of affection.

90% of people have no body awareness and are unable to dissociate hip movement from lower back movement. Deadlifts are certainly not a good exercise for everyone as they are shockingly detrimental if done without good technique.
There are so many lumbar disc issues just waiting to happen. My suggestion would be to include them, but work on form for a good month or so, wiht little more than just the bar. You have to learn the hip hinge and to dissociate hip and lumbar movement, and barely anyone masters this before loading up the bar.

Or you could just not over intellectualise it, get in there, and work the back muscles. They won't develop with thought alone.

I'm not saying go crazy or lift anything that's clearly beyond you, but actually doing the exercise is the best way to learn. If you're fearing/anticipating spinal injury before you've even started, you should probably be in a doctor's office rather than a gym.

Some guy walks in, starts doing 1/3 squats (wouldn't be fair to even describe them as half squats) then starts ranting about politics at some other poor guy who was just in there to workout and keep to himself (like most of us in the gym in the mornings). Guy gave no real answers (did give a look as in "shut up and let me workout") but 1/3 squat guy just didn't get the message.

Everyone else gets it, no chatters at the gym, this bloke just didn't have a clue.

newbie at the gym last night carrying around the obligatory 1-2 litre container of water, just resting near the base of an adjustable bench. Doing 20kgs dumbbell press after 6 reps gets to much for him, drops the heavy weight straight onto his precious water container. "BOOM" container shatters, was pretty much full water everywhere. Made me chuckle, kinda felt sorry for the guy. Luckily as newbie he had his oversized beach towel to mop up the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back