Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes i do abs on the machine cause i can sit down for a rest.

however, i understand the theory behind lose fat to get abs.

now, last night i had the pleasure of occupying the gym to myself for 15 minutes. it was great. i was like zipping around between all the equipment. probably didnt achieve as much in terms of goals for the night, but felt good being the sole person using everything for once!

the only thing that shitted me was the gym closed

sometimes i do abs on the machine cause i can sit down for a rest.

however, i understand the theory behind lose fat to get abs.

now, last night i had the pleasure of occupying the gym to myself for 15 minutes. it was great. i was like zipping around between all the equipment. probably didnt achieve as much in terms of goals for the night, but felt good being the sole person using everything for once!

the only thing that shitted me was the gym closed

Truly glorious when this happens

it was a sight to behold. in hindsight i think i didnt perform as good as i should have. because i was like a kid in a candy store lol

I often have it at my gym, especially on weekends. Most people are upstairs doing cardio and I'm the only one downstairs doing free weights. Good times :D

I train my abs because it helps with my fitness goals, To say don't train your abs because its pointless, well that maybe to you who is probably baulking and thats ok because that is probably your goal but take a second and think that their are some at the gym with different goals to you. I'm looking to lose a bit of weight off the stomach, which i have with great results and to just get fit, doing abs helps with my goals, i recommend them for this.

plus also doing them helps, makes them stronger, you could hit a 10 by 4 on my abs and it would just bounce straight off, good for footy when struging off opponents

Yeah true i'm adding size so rather put 10 extra mins into weight than ab training. But doing ab exercise does not reduce body fat off your stomach, you can't spot reduce bodyfat it can even increase your stomach measurements because the muscle can grow. Something more beneficial would be 10 mins of HIIT which will burn body fat.

I am not against exercises like planks etc this is always beneficial. Personally direct ab training should be done if you are sub 10% bodyfat and you stomach looks flat with no or barely any visible abs.

As strange as it sounds training your abs won't guarantee you w 6pac, low body fat percentages is where your 6 pac shows through. Earlier this i was 80kg at my leanest, my ABS as good as they have eve been. A total of 50 sit ups where done in the that training phase.

im interested in questioning why obtaining abs is something so wanted (not questioning you Piss Poor).

is it the media, or society, that/who dictates this?
I'd say it's the media, we are conditioned to seeing Hollywood actors with abs - especially superheroes so it's something that is ingrained in people, men in particular from a young age because every kid wants to be a superhero.

Just my take on it, I think it's a very aesthetic feature too though.

Anyway, back OT.

I went to the gym last night and I was doing heavy squats, I unracked 135kg and took a step back and the guy next to me decides to stand next to the rack and start playing with his phone which stopped me from being able to start my set straight away as I'd literally hit him in the head with the barbell. Had to re-rack and ask him to move to which his response was "relax bro"

im interested in questioning why obtaining abs is something so wanted (not questioning you Piss Poor).

It's one of the main indicators of how lean a male is. Not only are they lean, but they're muscular.

The other thing is (and this is only my opinion), it's one of the few muscles (or areas) where they're not predominantly visible regardless of body fat. Traps, delts/shoulders, pecs/chest; they're all visible, even clothed, on bigger guys. Back seems a lot more visible when you're leaner, but hey, it's also your back.

So I think there's this muscle group that show up when you're lean, they're hard to work for and you can't just focus gym time on them to make them appear. Kinda makes sense to me

I'd say it's the media, we are conditioned to seeing Hollywood actors with abs - especially superheroes so it's something that is ingrained in people, men in particular from a young age because every kid wants to be a superhero.

Just my take on it, I think it's a very aesthetic feature too though.

Anyway, back OT.

I went to the gym last night and I was doing heavy squats, I unracked 135kg and took a step back and the guy next to me decides to stand next to the rack and start playing with his phone which stopped me from being able to start my set straight away as I'd literally hit him in the head with the barbell. Had to re-rack and ask him to move to which his response was "relax bro"

Simple: just start squatting (well, if you've got bars on/you're comfortable rolling it off).

It's one of the main indicators of how lean a male is. Not only are they lean, but they're muscular.

The other thing is (and this is only my opinion), it's one of the few muscles (or areas) where they're not predominantly visible regardless of body fat. Traps, delts/shoulders, pecs/chest; they're all visible, even clothed, on bigger guys. Back seems a lot more visible when you're leaner, but hey, it's also your back.

So I think there's this muscle group that show up when you're lean, they're hard to work for and you can't just focus gym time on them to make them appear. Kinda makes sense to me

good post.
im starting to work on the premise to work your large muscles more than smaller ones, in order to burn fat. thus ive really hit back hard in recent times (always did a session of back a week but now 2-3).

good post.
im starting to work on the premise to work your large muscles more than smaller ones, in order to burn fat. thus ive really hit back hard in recent times (always did a session of back a week but now 2-3).

Well you burn ~3 times the amount of calories with muscle than you do fat (6-10 calories/lb is now accepted?), so you'll definitely increase your TDEE with more muscle. I went from around ~2000 to ~3300 for maintenance (it's actually ~2600 BMR maintenance with 700 from exercise/job) mainly from increased muscle mass. An upper estimate for me would've been 660 calories from muscle gain. I try to tell my gf, the more muscle she builds, the more she can eat - cutting or maintaining!

Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:

For the chicks bro.

Seems to be one of the few muscle groups that even the 'eww, he's too muscley' women like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the chicks bro.

Seems to be one of the few muscle groups that even the 'eww, he's too muscley' women like.
Yep, forget curlz for the girlz. The two muscle groups that top rate with the ladies are abs and a shapely behind. Both of which require a leanness, not just muscle.

i took a bench spot in the second row from the mirrors/weights. first row of benches use. my bench was between two in front of me, so basically like the pointy end of a triangle. or perhaps best explained like this:

PinNumbers.jpg

mirror = 7-10
weights 4-6
front row benches 2-2
me = 1.

anyway, so basically i can still look at myself in the mirror. was doing some exercises when person at 2 decided stand up between 2 and 3 to do something. here i am grimacing like mitchell starc/chris judd doing shoulder presses looking straight at this person in my line of sight!

i took a bench spot in the second row from the mirrors/weights. first row of benches use. my bench was between two in front of me, so basically like the pointy end of a triangle. or perhaps best explained like this:

PinNumbers.jpg

mirror = 7-10
weights 4-6
front row benches 2-2
me = 1.

anyway, so basically i can still look at myself in the mirror. was doing some exercises when person at 2 decided stand up between 2 and 3 to do something. here i am grimacing like mitchell starc/chris judd doing shoulder presses looking straight at this person in my line of sight!
Shoulder presses at a Bowling Alley?

Dedication.

New hot girl starting to become a regular at the gym - comes in, then after warm up leaves the gym area to do work in the outside area.
Damn.

People who wear Lycra to a spin class.
Anyone who uses going the weights area as a social event.
I've always wondered about people who set the treadmill to pretend they're running up the hill when there's a perfectly good hill staring at them outside the window.

People who wear Lycra to a spin class.
Anyone who uses going the weights area as a social event.
I've always wondered about people who set the treadmill to pretend they're running up the hill when there's a perfectly good hill staring at them outside the window.

scottjr
a contrasting and opposing viewpoint:

lycra - are they just wearing skins tights? as in no padding in the arse/gooch region?

some may have bad joints and find running outside on hard surfaces uncomfortable.

scottjr
a contrasting and opposing viewpoint:

lycra - are they just wearing skins tights? as in no padding in the arse/gooch region?

some may have bad joints and find running outside on hard surfaces uncomfortable.
The seats in the spin room are soft wouldn't have thought padding an issue. Didn't think of the joints relating to the treadmill. Is the treadmill better for joints?

The seats in the spin room are soft wouldn't have thought padding an issue. Didn't think of the joints relating to the treadmill. Is the treadmill better for joints?

yes they are soft, however after a while on a saddle it can become distressful.

tredy IMO is better for joints as there is a little cushion effect when running on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back