Is Jobe Watson now a better player than his father ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim never won a Brownlow....

I'd say Jobe, even without including the Brownlow.

Yeah.....Shane Woewodin won a brownlow too!:confused:o_O

You are clearly no where near old enuf to make a considered call on this one....Tim Watson was Essendons' best player for well on a decade & played many more years of high quality great football than his son!

Jobe would need to play another 7-8 years of elite football, with at least 2 Premierships included therein to even be considered on a par with his old man!

Historical Perspective is a rare commodity on these boards at times it seems!

Most people say Tim and they're probably right.

It's not that clear cut though, Jobe has been one of the top mids in the comp for a few years now. It's a valid conversation.
SOS, Fletcher, Waite (even him) and Scarlett would be better players than their fathers. As good as Jobe, Gary Ablett jnr. and Marc Murphy are, I still wouldn't say they're better players than their fathers. John Murphy's record looks great as a five time B & F winner who led Fitzroy's goal kicking in back to back seasons.

As I said earlier, it's Tim but some of the posts in here about what a huge gap it is are overstating it.

Jobe is a Brownlow medallist and 3x B&F winner, he's up there.

Not even Close:

Tim Watson: 3 Premierships, 4 B&F in a far superior side, 307 Games, 23 Finals in 17 Seasons of Football.
Jobe Watson: 0 Premierships, 3 B&F in a weak side, 1 Brownlow, 188 Games, 5 Finals in 12 Seasons of Football.

Tim Had to compete against Madden & the Danihers to win his B&F's while Jobe has had to compete against ?....Jobe!

Guess we won't ever have to re consider it then

Ugh, idiotic. He captains a finals capable side, so whilst I wouldn't bet on it he's a better chance than Nick Riewoldt and a worse chance than Travis Boak.

Interesting!

Coming from a bloke who has the temerity to compare the current Hawthorn Premiership Back to Back team to that of Adelaide (Circa 97-98). In saying that it's easily the weakest & most undeserving team to have done so since Adelaide.

Hawthorn

2013: Played 25 Won 22 Lost 3....Finished First on the Ladder prior to Finals
2014: Played 25 Won 20 Lost 5....Finished 2nd on the Ladder prior to Finals

Adelaide

1997: Finished season 13/9 in 4th position. Went 3/1 in Finals to win it for a 16/10 Record
1998: Finished Season 13/9 in 5th position. Went 3/0 in Finals to win it for a 16/9 Record

So.....What was that again about some semblance of Value????

The fact you then have the kahunas to say that a single premiership will render Jobe comparable to his father....Pretty much sums up your Footy Nous!

The Crows did it against the odds, the Lions didnt need to be a season long power to three peat it, not sure why you are so insecure, the Hawks current list belongs in that company.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows did it against the odds, the Lions didnt need to be a season long power to three peat it, not sure why you are so insecure, the Hawks current list belongs in that company.

No argument here....Not sure what insecurity has to do with anything other than projection on your behalf!

It was a lesson in perspective, both historical & comparative to highlight a lack thereof on behalf of the poster in question....Not to mention the O/P!

Once again: Anyone who wants to compare Jobe with his father & argue that their careers are in anyway on a par with each other, is not old enough to have seen the entirety of both their careers!....Which I am....If that makes me insecure, then so be it!

Not even Close:

Tim Watson: 3 Premierships, 4 B&F in a far superior side, 307 Games, 23 Finals in 17 Seasons of Football.
Jobe Watson: 0 Premierships, 3 B&F in a weak side, 1 Brownlow, 188 Games, 5 Finals in 12 Seasons of Football.

Tim Had to compete against Madden & the Danihers to win his B&F's while Jobe has had to compete against ?....Jobe!

This is a fair post (well i think the comparison of finals played is a bit irrelevant) and there's no doubt that Tim's B&F count for a lot more than Jobe's given the relative strength of the teams. That said it remains to be seen how many years of quality football Jobe has left. If he can win a few more B&F's and another AA selection and contribute to some finals success then the comparison becomes closer.

Jobe will clearly not be able to catch up in terms of team success (finals and premierships) but in terms of individual awards its not impossible. Ultimately though i think many people will prefer Tim just because of his superior physical attributes and gamestyle which was probably more devastating and exciting at his best. Jobe is the consistent in and under player but he's not clearly not as flashy.

A major difference between the two, Tim was naturally gifted, naturally athletic. Not saying he didn't work hard - but the game just came to him.

Jobe has BUSTED HIS ARSE. Early in his career he was considered overweight, a poor kick of the ball, slow and limited. He was damn near delisting.

Considering the quality of players we've had hold the title in my lifetime, I say in all seriousness he may be the best captain we've had in that time.

A major difference between the two, Tim was naturally gifted, naturally athletic. Not saying he didn't work hard - but the game just came to him.

Jobe has BUSTED HIS ARSE. Early in his career he was considered overweight, a poor kick of the ball, slow and limited. He was damn near delisting.

Considering the quality of players we've had hold the title in my lifetime, I say in all seriousness he may be the best captain we've had in that time.

Definitely the best EFC captain I've seen

never saw Tim in his prime, only saw him at the tail end of the career and he was still a fairly solid footballer. If you check out his stats, for almost a decade throughout the 80's, he was averaging over 22 disposals per game, booted over 230 goals in 207 games (we're talking about a midfielder here) and was obviously heavily targeted by the opposition on a weekly basis.
Impressive CV.

Tim was a game breaker and played in premierships. However, I would rather Ablett senior in my side than Martin Pike, so I don't always count the team success when assessing an individual. I think Jobe is a much better ball winner and alround reliable player. He just took 4 years to find his feet. He's been a gun since 2006. Problem is we don't have anyone as exciting as Tim in the midfield to be the icing on the Jobe cake.

So for mine it's a choice between cake and icing. A team needs both so it's hard to compare. At Essendon we've seen both extremes with Knights playing a team that was 90% icing and Hird/Thompson playing a team that is 99% cake. Neither are going to have finals success.

Jobe is a very good player who had a great 2012 but really hasn't put his head above the pack otherwise. Will be remembered as a club champion and a very good player, a bit like a Scott West type.

Tim is remembered and honoured league-wide as one of the best players of his era

Tim played better AFL/VFL football before he was twenty than Jobe has done for his entire career.

Tim is miles ahead of Jobe.

He exploded out of the box in 2012.. Before that just your very average mid fielder. Slowed down of late.

Tim easily.. People forget how great players were in the day.

He exploded out of the box in 2012.. Before that just your very average mid fielder. Slowed down of late.

Tim easily.. People forget how great players were in the day.

I remember very well - and the son should make the father very proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back