Is Nadal Finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hell, when Djokovic had Nadal on the ropes, and was set to beat him in the final last year, the rain came, allowing a tired Rafa to recover, and Djokovic's advantage was wiped out, and Nadal went on to win.

When you have weather conspiring against Nadal getting beaten, you know that he will never lose a French Open.

I think you're a little off here. Yes, Nadal was lucky the rain worsened and play had to be stopped, but Djokovic was lucky it rained in the first place. The conditions allowed Djokovic back into the match by blunting Nadal's major weapon (top spin forehand).

Look to this year if you really want to see the weather conspiring against Nadal getting beaten; the day of the semi was the hottest day of the tournament. I have no doubt Djokovic would've won if the match had been played in the same conditions as the final.

Nadal isn't on the decline

2012 FO Final: Nadal def. Djokovic 6-4, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
2013 FO Semi: Nadal def. Djokovic 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-7, 9-7

It was the least convincing FO win he's had for a long time (maybe ever). Not only did he quite luckily scrape by Djokovic, he lost sets to Brands, Klizan and, if not for some serious choking, would've lost another set to Fognini.

His form wasn't spectacular enough that I'd start predicting him to rack up slams elsewhere. Passing Federer is still more unlikely than likely.

I think you're a little off here. Yes, Nadal was lucky the rain worsened and play had to be stopped, but Djokovic was lucky it rained in the first place. The conditions allowed Djokovic back into the match by blunting Nadal's major weapon (top spin forehand).

Look to this year if you really want to see the weather conspiring against Nadal getting beaten; the day of the semi was the hottest day of the tournament. I have no doubt Djokovic would've won if the match had been played in the same conditions as the final.

It was the least convincing FO win he's had for a long time (maybe ever). Not only did he quite luckily scrape by Djokovic, he lost sets to Brands, Klizan and, if not for some serious choking, would've lost another set to Fognini.

His form wasn't spectacular enough that I'd start predicting him to rack up slams elsewhere. Passing Federer is still more unlikely than likely.

you are wrong. Last year in the french Djokovic didnt show up for 2 sets.Djokovic also struggled and almost lost to Tsonga in the quarters and Seppi in the 4th round.His form was far from spectacular.He lost 3 matches to Nadal on clay that year. This year he played very well and only lost a set to the finals and except choking on a couple of big points he played a good match. He can certainly take Nadal out on clay like he proved in 2011.

Nadal is not in decline.How about some appreciation after a 7 month injury break? Excuses about weather and stuff...i mean seriously? yeah if there was a tornado then Federer would have beaten Tsonga as well. I dont understand the Nadal hate in this forum.I still dont see anyone getting close to beating him on clay in a slam than Djokovic at his absolute best.Thats the way it will remain for the next 3 or 4 years IMHO

So you pick one match as a reason for his decline, he has the best form of any player in 2013.

I don't think this is as a massive surprise as people are making out. Nadal always looks dodgy the first week at Wimbledon. He is a little bit older and a little bit slower, and its no wonder that guys playing well have beaten him early on the last couple of years.

He has always needed to be in absolutely top form to be competitive on the fastest surfaces, and those days are probably coming to an end. Where the ball doesn't sit up and he doesn't get the benefit of his massive topspin he needs to be very fast around the court, and it's just not happening any more.

I don't think it's an example of anything terminal as far as his wider career goes. As we have seen since Vina Del Mar he is still lethal on clay. As usual, some people are saying he wasn't physically 100% but that's just what happens every time he loses. I just saw the usual lack of surefootedness on slippery first-week grass, which won't be a problem at other tournaments.

I don't think this is as a massive surprise as people are making out. Nadal always looks dodgy the first week at Wimbledon. He is a little bit older and a little bit slower, and its no wonder that guys playing well have beaten him early on the last couple of years.

He has always needed to be in absolutely top form to be competitive on the fastest surfaces, and those days are probably coming to an end. Where the ball doesn't sit up and he doesn't get the benefit of his massive topspin he needs to be very fast around the court, and it's just not happening any more.

I don't think it's an example of anything terminal as far as his wider career goes. As we have seen since Vina Del Mar he is still lethal on clay. As usual, some people are saying he wasn't physically 100% but that's just what happens every time he loses. I just saw the usual lack of surefootedness on slippery first-week grass, which won't be a problem at other tournaments.

Agree 100% with this statement. Last night he looked like he lacked his usual self belief and just could not get himself in the match.

Grass is no good for his knee...Boris Becker hit the nail on the head:

"If you have a knee problem, grass is the worst surface. Hard courts are not as bad because you have a firm position, you can put your foot down and stand up to hit the ball - the bounce is higher so you don't have to bend as low. I wouldn't worry about Nadal playing on hard courts or indoors, but I always thought grass was an issue."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23040937

Makes perfect sense to me... plus he won Indian Wells earlier in the year that was HC.

I refuse to believe there is anything much wrong with Nadal's knee. He has just had a punishing clay court season and looked sprightly as ever winning the Roland Garros final. Two weeks later he steps onto grass for his first match and we're supposed to believe it is suddenly a problem again? I don't think so.

He will be back and playing 100% for the North American summer hardcourts.

I refuse to believe there is anything much wrong with Nadal's knee. He has just had a punishing clay court season and looked sprightly as ever winning the Roland Garros final. Two weeks later he steps onto grass for his first match and we're supposed to believe it is suddenly a problem again? I don't think so.

You might be right but last year he looked as sprightly as ever winning Roland Garros, then got knocked out of Wimbledon against a lower ranked player, never mentioned his knee and was out for 7 months.

Nadal was always going to be vulnerable at the start of the tournament given the short turnaround from RG and no lead up event. I'd say that's the biggest factor in his loss. I expect he'll still be a big threat at the US Open. I think his knee injury is just one of those things he has to put up with for the rest of his career. Federer and Murray both have ongoing problems with their backs and I'd say most guys that have been on tour for a number of years would have their own chronic problems.

Won the French Open a month ago, so yep, he's finished, washed up, kaputo_O...ridiculous thread, lol

Will never win another Wimbledon but looks unbeatable at the FO for atleast the next 3 years

US Open and Aus open he will always be a big threat at can see him snagging another US and Aus before his career is over

I can see him winning atleast another 4 GS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will never win another Wimbledon but looks unbeatable at the FO for atleast the next 3 years

US Open and Aus open he will always be a big threat at can see him snagging another US and Aus before his career is over

Well he got his US cant see him not taking down Fed's record now

I wouldn't write Nadal off winning another Wimbledon. If he pulls through the first couple of rounds and things fall his way, he could get hot and do it again.

He can do anything.

I don't want to knock Nadal's achievements, (but I will), but who cares about the French Open anyway?

The French Open is the "fourth" GS for mine. I mean, look at some of the "legends" who have won it.

Yannick Noah (1983)
Andreas Gomez (1990)
Sergi Brugeura (1993-94)
Gustafo Kuerten (1997, 2000, 2001)
Albert Costa (2002)
Juan Carlos Ferrera (2003)
Gaston Gaudio (2004)

(What great careers these men went onto).

At least Nadal has some legitimacy, because he has won a U.S. Open and an Australian Open, as well. I consider a great player to be able to win at least three of the four GSs and Nadal has done that. But I bet that Nadal would rather have won 8 Wimbledons than 8 French Opens.

i cannot stop laughing after reading this shyte :)

Never thought Nadal could pass Roger in GS's but it looks like he's going to do it.

He could even match it just by winning a few more French Open.

Nice call. Very nice call. Although I imagine that post wasn't saying Nadal will sweep the hard court swing and pretty much guarantee getting back to no.1

I don't want to knock Nadal's achievements, (but I will), but who cares about the French Open anyway?

The French Open is the "fourth" GS for mine. I mean, look at some of the "legends" who have won it.

Yannick Noah (1983)
Andreas Gomez (1990)
Sergi Brugeura (1993-94)
Gustafo Kuerten (1997, 2000, 2001)
Albert Costa (2002)
Juan Carlos Ferrera (2003)
Gaston Gaudio (2004)

(What great careers these men went onto).

At least Nadal has some legitimacy, because he has won a U.S. Open and an Australian Open, as well. I consider a great player to be able to win at least three of the four GSs and Nadal has done that. But I bet that Nadal would rather have won 8 Wimbledons than 8 French Opens.

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Congratulations on Nadal winning the U.S. Open. It showed he can bounce back from Wimbledon's first-round defeat.

It will be interesting to see if he can win the 2014 Australian Open, where he has won one championship. It seems guaranteed that he will win next year's French Open and either equal or pass Sampras's number of Grand Slam wins.

Rafa is going to prove you all wrong!!! Never doubt this champion, cause he has a way to doubt the knockers!!! I have never seen a player who does this, I reckon when he plays the French Open if he wins easy matches then that is a good sign for Wimbledon!! I just hope he wins the Aussie Open!! He deserves this title because we had to wait an extra a year to see him!! Vamos Rafa!!

I have changed my opinion of Rafa anyway. He won a few Grand Slams this year, won them well, after coming off a bad injury.

Apparently, he is one off Sampras's record, and can then aim to pass Federer.

Look, Rafa has turned me around. I thought he dominated on clay, but little else. He has been more dominant than any time in his career this year.

I'm interested to see if he will take the Australian Open in 2014. The way he is playing, there is no reason he can't (hopefully in another classic against Djokovic).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back