Is Nadal Finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Favorite player by a long way, really disappointed I have to work tomorrow night :( Anyone know what time it will be on? (Keep in mind I am from Perth)

Favorite player by a long way, really disappointed I have to work tomorrow night :( Anyone know what time it will be on? (Keep in mind I am from Perth)

i know tsonga-ferrer is the first match (starts at 9pm melbourne time), so you won't miss the nadal match unless you work past midnight!

Oh my god, I'm so sorry, the person who told me that was wrong! I just checked the schedule at the official roland garros site and it turns out the Nadal match is FIRST-
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/index.html
i hope you see this in time. maybe dvd record it and watch later....

That's all good mate, already got it programmed to record on fox so hopefully I finish work early and get to catch most of it :)

Yep, you certainly sound like you know what you are talking about.......
Yeah, I do. Nadal isn't going to win every single French Open... despite the FO he is on a decline as well. Novak has his measure in all the other tourneys - his recent injury problems have not helped, but they will have an accumulative effect due to his very physical playstyle. He can't keep playing like this forever, and it's showing. Not to mention the fact that Federer may just well snag one or two more, making it a lot more harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have been saying "he can't play like this forever" for the past 4 years now.

And Nadal has also won 4 of his past 5 encounters with Novak btw.

I wish Nadal was finished, so that someone else could have a chance of winning the French Open.

Hell, when Djokovic had Nadal on the ropes, and was set to beat him in the final last year, the rain came, allowing a tired Rafa to recover, and Djokovic's advantage was wiped out, and Nadal went on to win.

When you have weather conspiring against Nadal getting beaten, you know that he will never lose a French Open.

I think, to give others a chance, there needs to be a rule that Rafa play all his matches in the French-Open right-handed, to bring him down to everyone else's level on clay. He may still win, but not by as much and not as often.

I don't want to knock Nadal's achievements, (but I will), but who cares about the French Open anyway?

The French Open is the "fourth" GS for mine. I mean, look at some of the "legends" who have won it.

Yannick Noah (1983)
Andreas Gomez (1990)
Sergi Brugeura (1993-94)
Gustafo Kuerten (1997, 2000, 2001)
Albert Costa (2002)
Juan Carlos Ferrera (2003)
Gaston Gaudio (2004)

(What great careers these men went onto).

At least Nadal has some legitimacy, because he has won a U.S. Open and an Australian Open, as well. I consider a great player to be able to win at least three of the four GSs and Nadal has done that. But I bet that Nadal would rather have won 8 Wimbledons than 8 French Opens.

I don't want to knock Nadal's achievements, (but I will), but who cares about the French Open anyway?

The French Open is the "fourth" GS for mine. I mean, look at some of the "legends" who have won it.

Yannick Noah (1983)
Andreas Gomez (1990)
Sergi Brugeura (1993-94)
Albert Costa (2002)
Gaston Gaudio (2004)

At least Nadal has some legitimacy, because he has won a U.S. Open and an Australian Open, as well. I consider a great player to be able to win at least three of the four GSs and Nadal has done that. But I bet that Nadal would rather have won 8 Wimbledons than 8 French Opens.
You're using this thread to have a ridiculous fourth slam argument? Just because those guys aren't legends it does not devalue it. Does that mean Pat Cash or Goran Ivanisevic's Wimby wins devalue the tournie because they never won another slam? Honestly RG has pleanty of history and clay is a significant part of tennis. Kuerten shouldn't be in this group either, the guy's a legend in his own right. I'm not a Nadal fan by the way as I'm pretty cynical about him, but I find your argument to be rather silly.

Edit: just second reading my post, I apologise if I sound a bit agro, not my intention nor am I having a crack at you.

Yannick Noah (1983)
Andreas Gomez (1990)
Sergi Brugeura (1993-94)
Albert Costa (2002)
Gaston Gaudio (2004)

Going by that criteria every tennis tournament in the world is a farce. Relative no names and one hit wonders don't solely pop up at the French. Do some research if you have to.

We can't add Kuerten to that list, I think he was a pretty decent player away from clay.

i think the problem with the French Open is most countries don't specialize in clay courts tennis and most tennis players aren't used to the surface. for eg, in Australia most our of players grow up playing on hardcourt or grass.

Anyway, I would like to see someone else win the French Open.

Going by that criteria every tennis tournament in the world is a farce. Relative no names and one hit wonders don't solely pop up at the French. Do some research if you have to.

Talking about one hit wonders - Johanasson winning the Australian Open and Iva Majoli winning the French Open lol

Yannick Noah (1983)
Andreas Gomez (1990)
Sergi Brugeura (1993-94)
Albert Costa (2002)
Gaston Gaudio (2004)

What a dumb argument: look no further than our home grand slam for one hit wonders:

1977: Roscoe Tanner
1978: Vitas Gerulitis
1980: Brian Teacher
1981-82: Johan Kriek
1998: Petr Korda
2002: Thomas Johansson.

All of them were good average players.None of them won anything else other than Australian Open.So i guess AO ranks the 4th?

I wish Nadal was finished, so that someone else could have a chance of winning the French Open.

Hell, when Djokovic had Nadal on the ropes, and was set to beat him in the final last year, the rain came, allowing a tired Rafa to recover, and Djokovic's advantage was wiped out, and Nadal went on to win.

When you have weather conspiring against Nadal getting beaten, you know that he will never lose a French Open.

I think, to give others a chance, there needs to be a rule that Rafa play all his matches in the French-Open right-handed, to bring him down to everyone else's level on clay. He may still win, but not by as much and not as often.

I think Djokovic would have beaten him if they'd contested the 2011 final, apparently Rafa's people were cheering and whopping in the lounge when Federer won his semi.

He really smashed Rafa's clay court supremacy that year.

On the right handed thing, he would be probably good for the semis...he is actually right handed but Uncle Toni made him play with his left.

Yeah, I do. Nadal isn't going to win every single French Open... despite the FO he is on a decline as well. Novak has his measure in all the other tourneys -

Injuries aside Nadal isn't on the decline, Djokovic came out a different player in 2011, had a year to rival McEnroe's '84 and really had Nadal's measure, highlighted by the USO final that year when in the 4th set Nadal threw the kitchen sink at him (not unlike Geelong against Hawthorn in 2nd quarter 2008 GF) and Djokovic held firm and left him nowhere to go.

But at the start of 2012 at AO final, Nadal should have won, and he did beat Djokovic at FO and also fared much better in other clay court matches with him.

I think clearly Djok wasn't at the same level last year as in 2011, almost impossible to be and I think Nadal came out looking better than the previous year, obviously he got injured for the rest of the year but going by his 2013 form I don't think he has declined at all. He's closer to Djokovic than in 2011, Federer is further back and Murray is a little closer but it's probably still on those 2 for every slam for the foreseeable future.

Yannick Noah (1983)
Andreas Gomez (1990)
Sergi Brugeura (1993-94)
Albert Costa (2002)
Gaston Gaudio (2004)

Um, Nadal has won Wimbledon twice as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back