Streaker

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Just looking in The West Australian liftout from today and noticed Trent Carroll in our 'A Team' at Fullback.

He hasn't done much on field to prove himself as yet so until he does, i for one cant rate him.
At the moment we dont have many options but to keep playing him, but, I think this year is a make or break year for him, especially with some of the younger blokes coming through challenging for places.

IMO he can play well enough, but lacks consistency, and has a tendency to do dumb things such as giving away free kicks when he has not got the ball, and turning it over easily when he has got the ball.
Problem is at his age, I cannot see that there is that much room for improvement. So this must be his last chance to cement a place.
He started the season pretty well last year and did some good things......for example, I thought his game against the Pies was actually good.
Heres hoping the same happens this year because without Glass available, and with an inexperienced, out of confidence Staker, and a loose checking Wirrpunda, alongside him, Carroll is going to have to display some leadership in the last line. At least for the first few games. And 4 of the first 6 games are going to be tough.

IMO Trent is good enough to hold up our FB our CHB. He has been fairly solid for a couple of years and i dont think he is as bad as everyone says he is. If he hadn't been there the last couple of years i believe our defence would have been stuffed because of no key defenders.

Carroll in our best 22 for sure.

Well I would have Glass ahead of Carroll in the best 22, but that said, I think Trent cops way more than he deserves.

Honest enough player, good squad member and about what you would expect for a back-up defender.

It might just be that I don't make a habit of totally bagging out my own teams players, but I think Trent's alright.

We need him - he's no star but trys his guts out and has size and strength. In a good team he would be valuable as long as noone expects him to be the one of the leading lights.

he's the sort of guy Glassy & Humm will learn their trade from.

Ha Ha Ha....

Sorry was going to say something intelligent but then realised that I cannot laugh and be intalligent at the same time. Here lies the paradox...perhaps I am not as intelligent as I thought I was...

Ok its time for my medication now...C u

Trent's biggest downfall was that if he was having a bad day, he had no one to swap with, and defenders will have a few of those every season (particularly if you are given the oppositions #1 tall forward every week). Of course he's no McIntosh or D.Fletcher, few defenders are, but he wouldn't be much worse than Michael from Brisbane or Prestegiacomo from Collingwood. Only difference being those guys have a defensive team around them that can take some pressure off, meaning they rarely play a full game on a forward thats beating them.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to build our defence around him. He's good backup for the first team, has experience so we know he can step up and perform, but doesn't quite have that little bit extra that makes him an automatic selection.

Absolutely, the most underrated player in our team, and a definite part of our best 22. Those who doubt the superlative talents of Trent Carroll do so at their peril.

(See, I get to regularly defend my Player Draft selection)

Actually I kind of agree with D4Es on this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's tough and a good squad player.

He was good as an under age player and probably hasn't come along as well as he could have, but then he did have to go to work under Damian Drum, so I have some sympathy for him.

Given our lack of proven defenders (as opposed to potential defenders), he presently merits a place on the list.

Maybe we have underestimated the ability of the Eagle fan to get behind the under dog. I started the thread out of pure disbelief that Trent could even be named in the first 22 let alone our best option for Full Back. Maybe we will see an Embleyesque type of resurrection for 'Mr T'. Could it be that Trent Carroll is the new McIntosh?

I'll make this short and sweet, in the same mould as Homer Simpson's attempt to debate the topic whether the speed limit should be limited to 45 mph- NO WAY!

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
He's tough and a good squad player.

He was good as an under age player and probably hasn't come along as well as he could have, but then he did have to go to work under Damian Drum, so I have some sympathy for him.

I with VOR on this. Trent will never be a superstar but some PPL take longer to get rid of the "Yips" that Drummy seemed to instill in them.

Players that Drummie gave "the yips" to that have since gone on to be considered good players are:

Jess Sinclair
Brodie Holland
James Clement
Mathew Burton

And from a Freo perspective

Shaun MacManus
Dion Woods
James Walker

(who certainly would not have still been at the club if Drummy had not been sacked)

A few Trent wins from his days at Freo:

1. Beat the emerging Tredrea pointless in one game that he played on him.

2. Killed by Whitnall in the first quarter and fought back to get on top of him for the rest of the game.

3. Had Plugger sent off with the blood rule, with a decent spoil collecting ball and nose, and showed no fear when confronted by the big fella on his return.

4. Played on Dunstall in the great man's last game and came out on top in a game easily won by the hawks. (I think it was Trent, anyway.)

Mind you, none of those players were in the same class as Trent.

What he lacks in ability, he more than makes up for in stupidity.

Yet, for all his downfalls, he rarely gets a bag kicked on him, and that suggests he has something to offer as a key defender.

hes underrated - he's not as crap as everyone makes him out to be. But it doesn't mean he's any good.

Unless an Embley style emmergance occurs he'll be gone at the seasons end.

GhostCrab.jpg

Trent Carroll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back