Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham
First off I am not trolling.
As an Adelaide supporter we were in the exact same position as you guys last week, if Bailey goes down the same avenue that Craig did and resign or possibly get sacked I would expect Melbourne to really take it up to Carlton next week they will want to earn back some respect not just externally but within the playing group and prove to their teammates who is in it for the long haul, which is what I am expecting from the crows tomorrow.

Similarly to us you have a young inexperienced team, and we all expect ups and downs, but not to the extent witnessed last week and in your case today, but it can only get better.
I hope to see you guys up and about again soon, Liam Jurrah and Jack Trengove are 2 of my fav non adelaide players and with abit of luck you guys will be a finals chance next year.

I think before we can look forward we need to have a good look at ourselves and what could contribute to a performance like today's. If there is an issue with the coaching, deal with it. Player attitudes - swing the axe. Other issues within the club - deal with them too. I think there needs to be a thorough post-mortem on today before we can know how we move forward. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Ever just had a bad day?

Long term decisions based on knee-jerk reactions are dangerous.
More than just a bad day mate. 2nd biggest losing margin ever. EVER!

We can handle losing and can handle losing big if the effort is there. What we cannot handle is rolling over the way we did today. It was disgusting, and embarrassing and heads will roll as a result of it!

A 10 goal loss to Hawthorn last week was a bad day, this is in a different galaxy.

Coming back next week and beating Carlton would be good but also have some negative connotations IMO. Would just go to show that it's an attitude problem, something which cannot easily be eradicated from a football club's culture.

Potentially short term problems that played a massive part in today:

1. Young backline
Strauss, Nicholson, Tapscott got abused. Time to get Bartram and Joel Macdonald back. Grimes will come back next year and hopefully with the young guys will improve from the experience. It's also time to trial McDonald and/or Davis before the end of the season.

2. Blokes plainly not working hard enough
Liam Jurrah is the captain of this brigade, drop players who refuse to run

3. Fatigued young players, coming off Darwin followed by a 6 day break
Gysberts is one guy desperately in need of a rest.

4. Complete lack of ball winners/users in the midfield
Not sure what the situation is with Davey, Bail and Scully but we need all of them back asap. When teams get on top of Moloney the others can't offer anything.

5. Not a forward on the ground for us capable of beating their opponent.
This won't happen many weeks, and we need to give Cook a try and keep recruiting more small forwards.

Ever just had a bad day?

We have the biggest average losing margin in the league (except maybe GC), so it's not just a one off. when we lose, we lose badly. I agree that kneejerk reactions are useless, but there is something really not working at the moment. We need to figure out what it is.

We have the biggest average losing margin in the league (except maybe GC), so it's not just a one off. when we lose, we lose badly. I agree that kneejerk reactions are useless, but there is something really not working at the moment. We need to figure out what it is.

The talent is there, maybe just the message has become stale and the players no longer have faith in Bailey's gameplan and ability to develop the squad.
A fresh take on things does wonders, to use Adelaide as an example again we havent seen first hand the results of Craig's departure but the message and tinkering of gameplan stated by Bickley is a positive.
Perhaps Todd Viney as a caretaker coach and possibly long term replacement, he was highly regarded during his stint at West Lakes and many of us touted him as Craig's successor

Ever just had a bad day?

Yep.

We've had one in Round 2, Round 6, Round 8, Round 10, Round 12, Round 15, Round 18 and now Round 19.

All 35 point + floggings.

Our closest loss this year has come to St Kilda in Round 9 by 20 points. Our closest win to Brisbane in round 3 by 9 points.

Yep.

We've had one in Round 2, Round 6, Round 8, Round 10, Round 12, Round 15, Round 18 and now Round 19.

All 35 point + floggings.

Our closest loss this year has come to St Kilda in Round 9 by 20 points. Our closest win to Brisbane in round 3 by 9 points.

You could look at why you fade badly once behind or struggle against the top teams across the season, but I don't know how much you can take from specifically dissecting a 30 goal loss. Cats by 10 goals down there wouldn't have been surprising, it would be tough to get yourself up with that in mind and I think the intensity from the players was down and they found it hard to fight back once Geelong got out of the blocks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is yesterday's game wasn't representative of the performance of the side across the year. It's strange that a side sitting 7 & 9, who after just 2 consecutive losses to top 4 sides is talking about sackings. Eade, Hardwick, Voss & Primus should be under more pressure than Bailey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is yesterday's game wasn't representative of the performance of the side across the year. It's strange that a side sitting 7 & 9, who after just 2 consecutive losses to top 4 sides is talking about sackings. Eade, Hardwick, Voss & Primus should be under more pressure than Bailey.
Probably too soon, but this. We are not a 200 point worse side than the Cats. 60 points worse, at Skilled Stadium, probably, but not 186. It is not an accurate reflection of where the club is at, and we're only 4 wins awayh from a finals berth. Call me eternally optimistic, but the sun came up today so I'm in a good mood.

Eade I think is touch and go to get another contract. Richmond have seen improvement this year. Voss and Primus are 3-4 years behind Bailey in terms of redeveloping a list. We're in the twilight zone of not having seen enough to give Bailey another contract, but not being putrid enough to get rid of him... until yesterday.

The problem with that performance is that i find it really hard to write it off as an abboration, when we've been spanked many times before this year. It's hard for me to care about any games we win for the remainder of the season when i know that we are capable of performances like Saturday.

When i woke up this morning, it reminded me of when Australia lost to South Africa in that one-day game of cricket after making 400+ runs. I woke up the next morning wondering if i'd just dreamt that we'd lost or if it really happened... had the same feeling this morning about yesterdays game.

True, we have been spanked a lot, but we've done a bit of spanking as well. We are capable of both exceptionally good and disgustingly bad football, but that is at the very least better than being consistantly crap like we have been for a while. We know we can play phenomenal football, we know in all likelihood we will again this season, we know we might have a 30% chance of snagging one of the next couple of games and then romping home in the last three. It's a big loss (I'll collect my understatement of the year prize at the door), but it was always going to be a loss. It doesn't change the equation for the rest of the year.

We are a team of the utterly unlikely and unpredictable. Who was willing to predict the second largest losing margin 3 days ago? Who's willing to suggest we'll make the finals now? I don't think we will, but it's a possibility that hasn't been destroyed by yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back