Toast Jack Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else think Macrae is a rough chance to make the squad for AA this year?
He's probably no chance at being in the final 22 but could be an outside chance for the squad of 40 if he maintains his recent form, especially against the likes of Hawthorn and Sydney.
Fact that he is only 23 touches from leading disposals in the afl, he has a huge chance to make it.

Anyone else think Macrae is a rough chance to make the squad for AA this year?
He's probably no chance at being in the final 22 but could be an outside chance for the squad of 40 if he maintains his recent form, especially against the likes of Hawthorn and Sydney.

Diffenantly in the 40 unless he really nose dives, and depending on how good his last month is I'd say he'd have a shot at the bench, I mean his stats are crazy if you look at them.

I don't think Macrae will make it. I think he should, but given Libba's non-selection in last years squad, I'm don't have much hope.

There's very little doubt that the selectors reward consistency over a good period of time rather than selecting them after 1 outstanding year, which kind of defeats the purpose of it IMO.

Fact that he is only 23 touches from leading disposals in the afl, he has a huge chance to make it.

We have struck gold with this bloke Vital.
Didn't see it at draft time , thought he would take a couple years for him to develop.
Still a tremendous upside to him as silly as that sounds.

And to think Macrae was meant to be a bit of a project player, will be an absolute beast in the years to come. Not sure theres a player on our list I'd prefer to have the ball looking for a target inside 50, just puts it lace out in front time after time!

We took another 'project' player with our first round pick the next year too. Wonder how that bloke's going :D

Macrae has the most afl fantasy points in the comp.

These kind of indicators (supercoach, fantasy and champion data points) aren't the be all and end all, but it does highlight how prolific this kid is in just his second year of senior footy.

I love macrae's quiet, scary, angry, mean streak. It's like he wants to rein fury on everyone who overlooked him as a junior.

Should he close out the year strongly, is he a shot at the Charles Sutton Medal?

I know McCartney said that he wasn't doing the team things at times and that he'd been 'letting us down', but he's put up outstanding stats all year.

Should he close out the year strongly, is he a shot at the Charles Sutton Medal?

I know McCartney said that he wasn't doing the team things at times and that he'd been 'letting us down', but he's put up outstanding stats all year.

Similar to Coons in his Brownlow year and Griff in his early years I don't know that his style of game is nessersarilly conducive to B&F votes although he has become a better tackler. Wood and Libba probably edging currently maybe even Dahl.

As much as Macrae's had an absolutely fantastic year, lets just remember he seems to be one of those players that the stats overrate. Not saying that's a bad thing, but just this season a lot of his statistically dominant games haven't exactly transitioned to on field dominance and overall ability. Bonts is the opposite.

Or maybe I'm talking crap and he is on field dominant. Moving on.

As much as Macrae's had an absolutely fantastic year, lets just remember he seems to be one of those players that the stats overrate. Not saying that's a bad thing, but just this season a lot of his statistically dominant games haven't exactly transitioned to on field dominance and overall ability. Bonts is the opposite.

You're right, but there also have been a few games where the stats have reflected on field dominance. He's a bit like Boyd in the sense that he's a ball magnet and you don't sometimes notice he gets the pill so many times, but of course he's classier and a fair bit smarter and better than Boyd if he keeps this rate of improvement up.

Some of his performances are very influential, look at the impact he made when he came on against Geelong for example (GC too) but he can have some games where he gets it 25 times and 20 of those possessions are just moving the ball laterally or backwards. I love it when he moves the ball forward tough thats when he's at his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An underrated part of Jacks game is his abillity to win frees and not give them away, he's won 28 frees this year and only given 7 away thats a + 21. Positively Scott Westian.

Some of his performances are very influential, look at the impact he made when he came on against Geelong for example (GC too) but he can have some games where he gets it 25 times and 20 of those possessions are just moving the ball laterally or backwards. I love it when he moves the ball forward tough thats when he's at his best.
I think it might be a bit of perception though - I mean his kicks lack penetration, his kicks seem to go slowly in the air with perception (may or may not be true, might need to get the stopwatch out), and he's prone to the odd shank. He also gets a lot of his disposals uncontested, with a low clearance % as terms of his overall disposal, with a lot of his possession coming from uncontested marks. As well as the points Macca made a couple of weeks ago about his defensive work and running. Those combined may give the perception of relative lack of influence or dominance of the game, but if you looked at Metric/Modern statistics or really observed you'd find I'm talking crap and he actually is dominant.

Just look at the at the passage of play that preceded the Stringer Lead up and goal. Macrae was the first one to read the crumb of the pack and slots it over several Essendon players 35 metres down line to Will it was just an uncontested kick but it opened up the play and a goal resulted.

I know the knock on him by some is his kicking. But I read in Inside Football, that he was apparently ranked around third in the league for efficiency by foot. I think people are taking a couple of poor kicks and letting them cloud his overall game

Did anyone see his kick against essendon from the 50m arc, against the sideline? Kicked it on an awkward angle, low and sharp through traffic and found Crameri or whoever it was. Was a very sharp and accurate kick, nice and low as well

Last edited:
Just look at the at the passage of play that preceded the Stringer Lead up and goal. Macrae was the first one to read the crumb of the pack and slots it over several Essendon players 35 metres down line to Will it was just an uncontested kick but it opened up the play and a goal resulted.
If I could bear to watch a replay of the game, I would do that. Sigh :cry:.

I know the knock on him by some is his kicking. But I read in Inside Football, that he was apparently ranked around third in the league for efficiency by foot. I think people are taking a couple of poor kicks and letting them cloud his overall game

Did anyone see his kick against essendon from the 50m arc, against the sideline? Kicked it on an awkward angle, low and sharp through traffic and found Crameri or whoever it was. Was a very sharp and accurate kick, nice and low as well
His kicking technique definitely has a few kinks in it, but he's probably one of the best decision makers, not just at the club but in the comp.

I wonder if anyone would still take Toumpas over Macraye now
Bloody loved toumpas at draft time. Some buds of mine spent quite a bit of time with him pre-draft and apparently he's just a ripping kid.

Confident melbourne will hang onto him, but Id be putting my hand up if they decided to put him on the market.

Bloody loved toumpas at draft time. Some buds of mine spent quite a bit of time with him pre-draft and apparently he's just a ripping kid.

Confident melbourne will hang onto him, but Id be putting my hand up if they decided to put him on the market.
I'm still convinced he'll be a gun. He was thrown into the AFL before he was ready for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back