Jack Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack The Spy.
Jack Martin’s extended period on the sidelines will provide the injured midfielder with a key opportunity to improve his football development, according to Gold Coast SUNS list & strategy manager Scott Clayton.

Martin had surgery on his shoulder this week, but later on in his recovery he will learn about opposition analysis with the GC SUNS coaching staff.

“He will have a bit of a break, but the coaches will give him some stuff to do around other AFL teams (opposition reports), so he will get that mental development from not playing and being able to watch more footy,” Clayton told Crocmedia’s Sportsday program.

I know this is a bit of a stupid question but does anyone else think that if Jacky puts on a bit more weight he'll be just as good as Ablett

I know this is a bit of a stupid question but does anyone else think that if Jacky puts on a bit more weight he'll be just as good as Ablett

1st, Martin hasn't the frame to build a lot of weight. He is a skinny bloke. Keeping him on the park is going to be the biggest hurdle, as you are suggesting by your question about his build.

With GAJ, we are talking about a bloke that is (arguably) considered the greatest AFL player ever. To be as good as GAJ, Jack will have to stay on the park, as injury free as Gaz has for so many seasons.

There is no doubt Martin is a talent, but I doubt he has the frame for the consistency of Gaz. However, Martin will be a brilliant player. He certainly plays like a bigger man, and I love his tackling.

Quick as ever, SUNS. :D

Not much footage of him, unfortunately.

Harley Bennell type with a bit more of an inside game. It will be great to watch these 2 playing off each other in years to come.
I like your profile pic how do you get one?

Taken as #1 in the 2012 minidraft
(I'm not sure where that puts him in terms of overall ranking)
Been part of the organisation since 2013, playing NEAFL, then AFL from 2014 on
This is his 4th year
He's averaging about 10 disposals and a goal a match with a few marks
What are people's expectations?

Disposals aren't really relevant playing deep in our forward line last year. I want to see him average 4-5 tackles and 1.5 goals a game while doing all the other magic he normally does like pinpoint passes, gliding through traffic.

He's only played 24 matches but I get the feeling there's a matchwinning 4 goal 15-20 disposal 6 mark match just around the corner

We saw that sort of performance against WCE in 2014. If he could get closer to producing performances like that he could become the silky ying in the AFL to Jake Stringer's raging Yang

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been disappointing, no other way to put it. He can't help getting injured but the self admitted lack of discipline and little to no development in his game or body shape means he gets a C- grading.

Having our time over with hindsight it would be Hogan in a Suns Guernsey

I started this thread because I'm interested in the range of views
We have a lot invested in him
If he'd played 50 games Iva I might be with you
I'm happy to see what 2016 brings, but I agree by the end of the year I think we'd be expecting a lot more than he's currently delivering

A month's a long time in footy eh
I can see him playing most of his footy down back until more troops arrive. At least he can use it when he gets it. We've seen snippets of his talent and his confidence just looks shot at the moment up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back