Traded Jack Redden (2008-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see Redden bulk up to be a really good contested ball winner. At 189cm he could be a Watson type player if he put on about 5-8kgs. This would also enable us to play Polec as that outside runner with Mayes and Hanley.

Interestingly he looks like he has slimmed down a tad this season. Living close to Bulimba I see the boys from time to time and seeing him in person over the last few years this year he wasn't as big possibly due to the expected rotation cap.

I can't remember who it was but I saw him next to a year midfielder of a similar height and thought the same. It might just be his natural body shape though. He does seem strong enough.

Also it seems Burton likes them slimmed down. Seems to help with injuries.

I don't think he will ever be that really big inside mid, like black I don't think he has the body shape for it. He's still very strong on the ball and holds his tackles very well which shows the core strength is there, which is more important with the muscle mass/bulk. I remember reading comments on Majak Daw by Brad Scott who said from an appearance point of view when he came to the club he was almost the same bulk and appearance wise as he is now, however he was getting bumped off the ball and failing to stick tackles on even the smaller blokes in the team as his core strength was very very poor. Sometimes its not about the size if there's not the strength throughout the body to back it up.

Lions midfielder Jack Redden says the team is chasing redemption on Sunday
23 August 2013
Greg Davis

BRISBANE midfielder Jack Redden says the Lions were humiliated by the Western Bulldogs in Round 1 and revenge is on the menu at the Gabba on Sunday. Redden said it was an unacceptable performance and Lions players were hellbent on making amends for their biggest loss of 2013.
“Losses like that are embarrassing,” Redden said.

“You never like losing but losing by that many points is just not on. We want to rectify that. “They came out firing that day and we weren't up to it. We took them for granted and paid the price. We owe them one, that's for sure.” We know how well they can play. They brought their A-game in Round 1 and they are playing some really good footy at the moment,” Redden said. “They have All-Australian contenders in their midfield. They have been competitive all year but that midfield is driving them to some very good wins.”

080492-jack-redden.jpg

2013 Review - by Balony_pony16

The ever durable Redden played yet another full season with much quality without being sensational. I might sound like I’m being harsh but I really think redden could have done better and I liken his current game to that of Kane Cornes (when down on form) in that he does so much right but just doesn’t hurt the opposition with ball in hand enough. I can’t think of any game in 2013 where the opposition have put a lot of work into him with a run with player even for a quarter or two. The “Hurt factor” or lack of it is my biggest criticism of his and something I really hoped he would develop in 2013 as I’m positive he has it in him.

Positives
From a Statistical point of view reddens season looks quite exceptional in some areas:
· 4th in AFL for tackles (1st for Lions)
· 2nd in Lions for Handballs (32nd in AFL)
· 2nd in Lions for disposal (57th in AFL)
· 2nd in Lions for Frees For (28th in AFL)
· 2nd in Lions for contested possession (36th in AFL)
· 3rd in Lions for Effective Disposal (49th in AFL)
· 2nd in Lions for clearances (33rd in AFL)
· 3rd in B&F

Negatives
But weak in other areas that highlights his lack of Hurt Factor: All the below he is ranked outside the Top 100 (total) in the AFL.
· Inside 50
· Marks
· Goals
· Goal Assists
· Marks inside 50

Going forward redden really needs to develop his attacking game and become another Goal kicking mid the Lions need. I really don’t think he can rely on his exceptional tackling game and needs to take advantage of other players (Rich, Hanley, and Likely Rockliff in 2014) getting the close tags. As a team we can’t afford to have a Tagger (Raines) and Redden both not contributing consistently offensively too help take the pressure off others. I want him to be the Rory Sloane, Kieran Jack or Ling (as a tagger) of our team!

Season Game highlights
All that said, Redden did have some stand out games with highlights his real potential to be a damaging mid:
· Rd 19 v Saints… 32pos, 10 marks, 18 kicks, 4 tackles, 3 I50, and 14 Handballs.
· Rd 8 v Bombers…22 pos, 11 Handball, 11 kicks, 12 tackles!!, 2 I50, a mark and a Goal

Finishing Up, In short Redden “HAS THE SKILLS TO PAY THE BILLS!!” but we just need to see more of it.

Here is a nice clip on his standout moment for 2013!!!

Can’t wait for redden to have a big 2014 season!!!

A bit like 2012, Redden certainly finished the season better than he started it. Looking purely at the Supercoach numbers as a flawed measure of performance, he averaged 103 for the last 9 games of the year, which is OK.

However, it probably also demonstrates that he's a fair bit off the elite midfielders of the comp. Even if he'd maintained that average throughout the year (which he didn't), it still would only have placed him around 35th in the comp - good but not elite. By comparison, Rocky averaged nearly 110 over the entire year.

There's no shame in simply being a very good footballer instead of a great one. But he firstly needs to show that he can be a "very good footballer" for an entire year. And secondly, if we're going to go places as a club, we probably need someone to join Rockliff as a midfield gun - whether that is Reddo, Rich or even Hanley as a full time midfielder, as a club we probably need something more than "very good" from at least one of them.

I certainly acknowledge that he, like Rockliff, suffered playing a non-midfield role at times. However, unlike Rocky and to a lesser extent Rich, I'm not sure Redden has yet shown an elite capability in his game.

A bit like 2012, Redden certainly finished the season better than he started it. Looking purely at the Supercoach numbers as a flawed measure of performance, he averaged 103 for the last 9 games of the year, which is OK.

However, it probably also demonstrates that he's a fair bit off the elite midfielders of the comp. Even if he'd maintained that average throughout the year (which he didn't), it still would only have placed him around 35th in the comp - good but not elite. By comparison, Rocky averaged nearly 110 over the entire year.

There's no shame in simply being a very good footballer instead of a great one. But he firstly needs to show that he can be a "very good footballer" for an entire year. And secondly, if we're going to go places as a club, we probably need someone to join Rockliff as a midfield gun - whether that is Reddo, Rich or even Hanley as a full time midfielder, as a club we probably need something more than "very good" from at least one of them.

I certainly acknowledge that he, like Rockliff, suffered playing a non-midfield role at times. However, unlike Rocky and to a lesser extent Rich, I'm not sure Redden has yet shown an elite capability in his game.

He is definitely an elite tackler. Whether that influences games is another matter. He was displaced from the centre bounces a fair bit over the season in favour of Lester's development and when he is on the outside he is frequently a post player. Because he spreads in support of runners very well. I'd like to see him take the game on a bit more with ball in hand because his regular clangers would be better off going deep, and his other 2 out of 3 kicks are pretty penetrating and damaging when he does take it on himself to deliver to the forwards.

Redden is capable of a lot more than he regularly produces. Some of the things he does at times are really exciting. He can take a great mark, kick goals, rack up possessions, use the ball well, has a great sidestep, is a great tackler. The problem is that he rarely shows all of these abilities in one game.

Redden is capable of a lot more than he regularly produces. Some of the things he does at times are really exciting. He can take a great mark, kick goals, rack up possessions, use the ball well, has a great sidestep, is a great tackler. The problem is that he rarely shows all of these abilities in one game.
Agree 100%. I see him currently as the support act to the Rocky, Rich and Moloney show, although he has the pieces to bring it all together.

Maybe he just needs maturity and focus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be in and under IMO. Gets exposed for class outside the contest and his best attributes (physicality and grunt) are wasted.

Yep. Personally I don't see a big scope for improvement, but if there's an aspect that maybe he's not yet reaching his full potential it would be his inside game. He's worked really hard on his outside game, but he doesn't have the leg speed or the penetration in his kicking to become any more dynamic, so I think it's just a case of gradual refinement.

To me, he is the most reactionary of our midfielders. It is so noticeable the difference between Moloney and Black (and Rockliff in the 2nd half of the year) who read the play and go straight at the ball. Redden and Rich seem to react to what the opposition do.

To his credit, Rich started to get on the move at stoppages at times last year and was better for it. But Redden is on his heels too often. I suspect he doesn't have a natural feel for the game in tight which is what is holding him back as an inside mid.

I agree with those who contend that Redden has not achieved his potential, even though he is now a very valuable player.

It's just that I see him as capable, with a bit more polish especially kicking-wise, of being a lot more damaging. In this sense, he hasn't really progressed. Put it this way, opposition sides don't seem to put the effort into stopping him that they do to others.

If he got full value for possessions, and reduced the clanger count which is a real downside to his game, he'd be an absolute gun. Right now, he's an air rifle.

Agree 100%. I see him currently as the support act to the Rocky, Rich and Moloney show, although he has the pieces to bring it all together.

Maybe he just needs maturity and focus.

I can understand some of the frustrations with him, and you can see why people doubt his ability to step his game up. But some of the things i saw him do occasionally this season made me think "wow, this guy could really be something".

I can understand some of the frustrations with him, and you can see why people doubt his ability to step his game up. But some of the things i saw him do occasionally this season made me think "wow, this guy could really be something".
Dat goal.

Pendlebury without the skills?

Probably easy to underestimate how important his tackling is to our side though.

If any of you have seen the redo the 2008 draft thread Redden is in every ones top 10. Usually in the top 5 so I really don't get how so many people think he is at most risk of losing his spot. Not one person placed him below Rich on their drafts.

Doesn't get noticed because he isn't flashy. Work horse type mid, vital cog in out midfield, position under no threat and those that think it is need to look harder. He still has another gear to go up if he can get himself to that level, disposal can improve as well as his ball winning ability. Biggest knocks for me, sometimes doesn't go the ball, is too happy to wait and tackle the bloke that wins it, and disposal can be messy. He can take a good mark and kick a goal, but hasn't really been used enough in that capacity.

If any of you have seen the redo the 2008 draft thread Redden is in every ones top 10. Usually in the top 5 so I really don't get how so many people think he is at most risk of losing his spot. Not one person placed him below Rich on their drafts.

Probably says more about the football world's ongoing obsession with underating Daniel Rich.

Biggest knocks for me, sometimes doesn't go the ball, is too happy to wait and tackle the bloke that wins it...

An astute observation. Redden needs to get first hands on the ball far more regularly at stoppages. That probably means he needs to improve his positioning and reading of the ball. If he can do that, we will have an elite midfielder on our hands. If not, he is going to continue to frustrate, particularly in games when our midfield gets "smashed" which has been known to happen with frustrating regularity during Redden's career. That said, I wouldn't lay the blame with Redden. Our outside midfielders need to improve the way they transition the ball from a midfield contest / stoppage to a progression of attacking ball movements, culminating in an inside 50 possession and a major score.

In some respects I have Redden in the same basket as James Polkinghorne, but I think Redden is far more likely to have the much anticipated "breakout year" in 2014 than Polkinghorne.

P.S. Some great posts on this thread. Isn't it good to be focusing on the football, rather than the other stuff that has been consuming the club of late?

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-12/building-towards-round-one

Jack Redden is just one of a long list of first-choice Brisbane Lions players who are being rested for Thursday night’s opening NAB Challenge match against Hawthorn at Etihad Stadium.

Redden will join the likes of Jonathan Brown, Daniel Rich, Jed Adcock, Daniel Merrett, Matthew Leuenberger, Pearce Hanley, Joel Patfull, Brent Staker, Brent Moloney on the sidelines.

But the Lions can expect to see most of their stars return for the team’s second practice match against Gold Coast in Townsville.

“We’ll probably field stronger sides as we get closer to Round 1 of the home-and-away season,” Redden said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back