Injury Jackson Thurlow - lacerated kidney

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't have surgery.

Will stay in hospital until the weekend, 6-8 weeks until he returns to full training. Bugger.
We can assume full training is mainly to do with contact; hopefully, his running, aerobic training, skills, strength training will be not hampered too much. Assuming of course, he feels up to resumption of these activities. It will have been a shock to his system in more ways than one. That feeling of invincibility that young men of this age are blessed with, so necessary for going into contests fearlessly, will have taken a bit of a hammering for a while too. We've seen it with broken jaws, collar bones etc.
I look back to Playfair, who believe it or not was actually really flying before Rutten mangled his jaw- took a while to regain his confidence. Others like Lingy just get up and start all over again like nothing happened.
Burbury last year- just wonder if it affected him at all. T Hunt??
Thurlow will have the perfect time to recover and repair, being a quiet time in pre-season, and the club has ALL the mechanisms to recognise potential complications from the injury, before he restarts, and also the staff to assist with getting back to where he was once given the all-clear. Then it comes down to Thurlow.

We can assume full training is mainly to do with contact; hopefully, his running, aerobic training, skills, strength training will be not hampered too much. Assuming of course, he feels up to resumption of these activities. It will have been a shock to his system in more ways than one. That feeling of invincibility that young men of this age are blessed with, so necessary for going into contests fearlessly, will have taken a bit of a hammering for a while too. We've seen it with broken jaws, collar bones etc.
I look back to Playfair, who believe it or not was actually really flying before Rutten mangled his jaw- took a while to regain his confidence. Others like Lingy just get up and start all over again like nothing happened.
Thurlow will have the perfect time to recover and repair, being a quiet time in pre-season, and the club has ALL the mechanisms to recognise potential complications from the injury, before he restarts, and also the staff to assist with getting back to where he was once given the all-clear. Then it comes down to Thurlow.

If he actually spent time in the Renal Ward and looked around him, he's no longer going to believe that anyone is invulnerable. Trust me.;)

Assuming he's released at the wknd, how long do you think it would be until he can start running and lifting weights again mate?

Fantastic points Vdubs.
The player I thought of when you went down that path was Sam Newman. Known as a buffoon now , but in his day to get say an injury so early in his career... we should not forget how much he overcame to become a 300 game players.

Hopefully Thurlow will recover and as the pain goes , so will the fear of re-injury

Fantastic points Vdubs.
The player I thought of when you went down that path was Sam Newman. Known as a buffoon now , but in his day to get say an injury so early in his career... we should not forget how much he overcame to become a 300 game players.

Hopefully Thurlow will recover and as the pain goes , so will the fear of re-injury

One full week in hospital is certainly a significant amount of time, hopefully the young fella can recover from whatever is keeping him in hospital for that long and make a huge impact in 2015- when he gets the all clear to get going again. Has had a bad run, this is his third injury interrupted pre season...

Damn was hoping he would get his first full pre-season in & absolutely cement his spot in the team early on (Still might). My hope/goal for Thurlow was for him to play 15+ games in 2015. Will still get quite a few weeks of full training in which definitely helps! NAB Cup we'll see him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-19/thurlow-out-of-hospital

Jackson released from hospital this morning!

I thought this was an interesting comment.

"The injury is a blow for Geelong, as the club viewed Thurlow – who played in the Cats' semi-final loss to North Melbourne – as a potential replacement for Allen Christensen or Travis Varcoe through the midfield or even up forward."

"potential" is the key to that. Yet my guess is he not so much a replacement for AC , more just another young midfield option.He doesn't play like him , is probably more likely to develop into a Enright/Kelly type.

A "blow" yes ... but not a knockout one. All things being equal the players that should be replacing AC and TV are Cowan and Blease , and we should have two or three younger guys, if not more, trying to push past those two. I only hope all the puff pieces , are not Puff Pastry pieces ..ie appetising and yet full of air. He could be little bit of circuit breaker if he is as good as hoped.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-19/thurlow-out-of-hospital

Jackson released from hospital this morning!

I thought this was an interesting comment.

"The injury is a blow for Geelong, as the club viewed Thurlow – who played in the Cats' semi-final loss to North Melbourne – as a potential replacement for Allen Christensen or Travis Varcoe through the midfield or even up forward."

Yes, his best efforts in the 1sts have been on the wing, and that looks like his obvious position.

Cowan is more of a inside midfielder isn't he?
The extractor as opposed to a polisher like Varcoe or Christensen, Blease & Smedts/Murdoch would be a good chance at stepping it up through the midfield next year now that those two blokes have moved on.
We are talking about a guy who has played 3 games...hard to tell what well get , but from an age profile he should be the one.
He is inside and outside.. although not as polished as either by foot. Maybe just as tough over the ball as AC , and good runner too. If he can just play enough so we can reestablish what he can give would be a great advance.

And yes Smedts is another that must start to demand a spot

Fantastic points Vdubs.

Agree, mentioned Sam a few times, great example of recovery from this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn was hoping he would get his first full pre-season in & absolutely cement his spot in the team early on (Still might). My hope/goal for Thurlow was for him to play 15+ games in 2015. Will still get quite a few weeks of full training in which definitely helps! NAB Cup we'll see him.

Yeah a full preseason would have been nice, particularly considering his last was interrupted, but putting a positive spin on it I think he still has the opportunity to be fitter than he has been before - unless I'm mistaken, he'll be back running within a few weeks. Confidence in contests might be a bit of an issue, but I suspect he'll get over it given the incident was apparently innocuous.

Yeah a full preseason would have been nice, particularly considering his last was interrupted, but putting a positive spin on it I think he still has the opportunity to be fitter than he has been before - unless I'm mistaken, he'll be back running within a few weeks. Confidence in contests might be a bit of an issue, but I suspect he'll get over it given the incident was apparently innocuous.

I hope it doesn't become a repeat of Burbury last year - suffered a bad injury, then by overcoming the injury it somehow made him a better player than he really was. We found out that wasn't the case.

McCarthy's ability to overcome his foot issues is one challenge for him; becoming a regular senior footballer is a totally separate one.

I hope it doesn't become a repeat of Burbury last year - suffered a bad injury, then by overcoming the injury it somehow made him a better player than he really was. We found out that wasn't the case.

McCarthy's ability to overcome his foot issues is one challenge for him; becoming a regular senior footballer is a totally separate one.
Burbury intrigues me. I think you may have gone to the 2010 VFL GF?
Anyway, GHS got the nod as Best player, but many of us thought Burbury was. His manic attack on the ball was infectious, and fearless, as was his game v Pies before the Maxwell hit last season. He really never displayed anywhere near that intensity on his return. He hasn't been picked up by any AFL team.

Did you add in McCarthy as another young guy with an injury or did you think i was talking about him? I was referring to Thurlow...

Not quite sure what you're getting at with Burbury... he was always universally regarded as working class wasn't he?

Did you add in McCarthy as another young guy with an injury or did you think i was talking about him? I was referring to Thurlow...

Not quite sure what you're getting at with Burbury... he was always universally regarded as working class wasn't he?
I think he is implying some rated him (GB) higher than he should have been after that jaw break.

Unlike me- I "overrated" him from day 1, as it were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back