Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't have the most attractive running style but god he can move well for a big bloke! That side step against the Bombers and then goal was a sign of things to come in the future!
Yeah he still has a running gate from the broken leg. I remember watching him prior to the break and he was pretty damn quick. Still got a fair bit of pace now though, and as you said moves quite well.

Yeah he still has a running gate from the broken leg. I remember watching him prior to the break and he was pretty damn quick. Still got a fair bit of pace now though, and as you said moves quite well.
does anyone think he will get his old pace back and explosiveness back?

does anyone think he will get his old pace back and explosiveness back?
I don't think it will ever be back to total pre-break levels, but I've seen enough of his burst (primarily in his stints behind the ball where he's encouraged to use it) to think he'll get enough of it back to be considered a strength.

It's more his ridiculous lateral movement and power that matter. I don't think he's going to burn anyone over 150m Matt White style, but we don't need him to be that guy.
if he could get it back, that would be a huge bonus though
already think he'll be a gun with more experience
think he'll be a complete player, like a Luke Hodge

gets the job done where-ever he goes or role he plays

there is a interview with him after the game, he says hopefully get into the midfield coming games if not next year, actually can't wait

there is a interview with him after the game, he says hopefully get into the midfield coming games if not next year, actually can't wait

Several times this year he has stated that in the future he wants to play full time midfield. Particularly for the short term if I were the coaching staff I would be advising him against it and leaving him up forward. Even then I wouldn't change him to a midfielder unless a couple of this happened including
  • Improving his aerobic capacity
  • All of Boyd, Cooney, Griffen etc were retired or hopefully in a couple of years (which we should) have enough midfield depth to put griffen at half back for a couple of years
  • But most importantly acquire another forward target, irrespective of size we need another player capable of kicking 40+ goals.
At the moment you could only suggest that Stringer, Dahlhaus (if played deeper) or Crameri could kick 40+ a season in the coming years who are presently on our list. Bonts could but he won't be spending enough time in the forward line to do so. Our other forwards don't look capable to have either the skills to kick bags or consistency to kick a couple most weeks. Hawthorn are fantastic because they have multiple avenues to goal and not just the one. We need another avenue at goal or another lightning fast midfielder with great skills such as stephen hill, to break the lines and hit up forwards targets. For mine Stringer (whether considered an undersized KPF or not) quite simply has to remain in the forward line for at least 2 - 3 more seasons if we are to play finals.

he will be a way better footballer in the middle i personally think!

You are quite possibly right, but Macca isn't going to be interested as to whether Jake will be a better midfielder or forward (particularly for the short term), he will be positioned as to whether he gives our team more value forward or in the midfield. For mine in the short term (2 - 3 years) it's in the forward line. However I can see jake get more midfield time if bontempelli spends some time as that 3rd tall forward. I won't be against something like this.

Stringer 70/30 forward/mid
Bonts 30/70 forward/mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clay's comment re his explosive acceleration is 100% spot on.

As for him playing midfield, I'm cool with it in bursts, but I like my midfielders to have elite tanks. Just can't risk mids getting burnt by opponents through gut running.
Agree with this, with less interchanges and a possible further cap on rotations a player like Stringer becomes a useful option to swing into the middle for short 5 minute bursts from the forward line. It might become like the old days where your ruck and rovers rested in the fwd pockets. He would be brilliant to stick in the guts when pace is off a little and you need some real grunt. I don't see him as a Luke Hodge type player like someone else mentioned. I see him more like a Jordan Lewis. If he gets near that standard we will have a beauty.

I love Jake, but God he has a shocking tattoo.

7TwwAlw.png

I love Jake, but God he has a shocking tattoo.

7TwwAlw.png
Agree, but not sure what the tattoo actually is, and what that writing says (I think it is writing)

if he could get it back, that would be a huge bonus though
already think he'll be a gun with more experience
think he'll be a complete player, like a Luke Hodge

gets the job done where-ever he goes or role he plays
I love Hodgey, but he's as slow as a wet week. Stringer has got a more wheels than Hodge.

How Stringer didnt get the rising star nomination this week is an absolute complete and utter disgrace. I would go one step further and say its rigged !

Obviously the powers at be are worried about the amount of talent we are stock piling !

Cheats......

How Stringer didnt get the rising star nomination this week is an absolute complete and utter disgrace. I would go one step further and say its rigged !

Obviously the powers at be are worried about the amount of talent we are stock piling !

Cheats......

It happened to Libba its happened to Hunter and now Stringer ---this is a disgrace it really is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back