January 26

Should the celebration of January 26 cease?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? The cycle that some Aboriginal families are in has great deal to do with how they were treated for a long period of time.

Unfortunately, the change the date crowd don't have any ideas of how to break it either.
So is that a yes?

A family member of mine is currently living in the NT. While not having visited the NT myself, I have no reason to think this family member is lying.

I was told that over half the Aboriginal children attending the same primary school as my family members children are absent on a frequent basis.

At some point you have to blame the parents, even if they're black. I think it's unhelpful to blame white people for every issue that Aboriginals deal with.

How is the school catering for these Aboriginal kids?
What support are they getting for a child who may know 7 languages but not English?
What connection to country is being kept?
How many Aboriginal staff are there?
How often does the school meet with elders from these mobs?
Are the students able to walk in both words?
How much racism is there amongst students and parents?

How is the school catering for these Aboriginal kids?
What support are they getting for a child who may know 7 languages but not English?
What connection to country is being kept?
How many Aboriginal staff are there?
How often does the school meet with elders from these mobs?
Are the students able to walk in both words? (a)
How much racism is there amongst students and parents? (b)
As someone who admittedly hasn't set foot in the NT, I don't pretend to have the knowledge and experience to answer your questions to any reasonable level of satisfaction.

I've highlighted what I feel are the pertinent points.

(a) What do you mean by both worlds?
(b) Obviously I don't know, though I'm loathe to play it off as such in schools with a majority of children that are Aboriginal. How do you feel about that?

Jan 26 is good and I think we should keep it

This reporter found two groups in Sydney on each side of the issue (I contend the majority of the country doesn’t feel too strongly either way)

The replies from the crowd at invasion day protest are fairly similar to most responses I’ve seen but what’s significant about this video is the reporter has found a large contingent of “pro Aussie” flag wavers on Jan 26. Where else but……

Cronulla.

Tbh the arguments put forward by the pro Aus day types are very confusing. Not the least the fact I couldn’t understand the words most of them were attempting to say. No wonder this place voted for Scott Morrison.

Let’s just say the majority of Australians probably wouldn’t associate themselves with the “Aussies” in the second half of the video.

A second video from this past Jan 26th from a bit more of a ‘Teal’ area - Manly

More lucid arguments presented but still I gather the overwhelming opinion from the crowd (minus the older angry white guys) is to change the date, as the presenter’s survey showed the change option won the poll.

More lucid arguments presented but still I gather the overwhelming opinion from the crowd (minus the older angry white guys) is to change the date, as the presenter’s survey showed the change option won the poll.
Essential could only find 18% of people who support changing the date.

It's not really a perfect question for various reasons, but realistically, frankly 18% is not changing nothing.

This reporter found two groups in Sydney on each side of the issue (I contend the majority of the country doesn’t feel too strongly either way)

The replies from the crowd at invasion day protest are fairly similar to most responses I’ve seen but what’s significant about this video is the reporter has found a large contingent of “pro Aussie” flag wavers on Jan 26. Where else but……

Cronulla.

Tbh the arguments put forward by the pro Aus day types are very confusing. Not the least the fact I couldn’t understand the words most of them were attempting to say. No wonder this place voted for Scott Morrison.

Let’s just say the majority of Australians probably wouldn’t associate themselves with the “Aussies” in the second half of the video.

‘With respect’. I’m going to have to stop saying that

21 year old and friend make good points, but capt cook? If schools are indoctrinating they are wrong

Even the guy is wrong on cook

Last edited:
It would be interesting to do a Vox pop on who led the first fleet on Jan 26. It wasn’t Cook.

It’s like english thinking Radnor lothbrook win the battle of Hastings in 1066

Nobody’s off the hook. But if you aren’t willing to understand the context of why things happen, then you’re not actually interested in finding a solution.
It’s hard to “understand the context” of child abuse in this way without alleviating the abuser of culpability

Cronulla.

People over the age of 16 don’t normally consume this type of content

It’s hard to “understand the context” of child abuse in this way without alleviating the abuser of culpability
When Aboriginal child abuse has been raised as an issue some raising it are looking to politicise it, all child abuse is abhorrent but to weaponise it in the way that it has been recently is also as disgusting. Has Dutton mentioned Alice Springs lately, is "future Prime Minister" even allowed to speak anymore? I notice he sent the women out to attack the amended stage 3 tax cuts, I'd love to hear her take on bracket creep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s because you’re only interested in blame and the resultant feeling of moral superiority. If a person who was sexually abused as a child later abuses a child, understanding the connection doesn’t mean they get to walk free. But it does mean you understand the context of why it happened and work to ensure the abused child doesn’t repeat the cycle.

It would be interesting to do a Vox pop on who led the first fleet on Jan 26. It wasn’t Cook.

I’d like to run a survey on Australia Day with some of the “patriots”, “invasion day protesters” and “unaligned”.

When did the nation of Australia come into existence:

January 1st (New Year’s Day)
January 26th (Australia Day)
April 25th (Anzac Day)

What happened on January 26th 1788:

Captain Cook discovered Australia
Arthur Phillip established the penal colony of New South Wales
Australia received independence from the UK

Who was the first European to discover Australia:

Abel Tasman
Arthur Phillip
Captain Cook
William Janszoon

The first non indigenous Australian people to set foot in Australia were from which modern day country:

UK
Netherlands
Indonesia
France

Who was the “father of federation”?

Captain Cook
Weary Dunlop
Don Bradman
Henry Parkes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back