January 26

Should the celebration of January 26 cease?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an obvious gap of understanding between people who support Aboriginal people, and people who oppose Aboriginal people.
And it comes down to viewing Aboriginal people as equals, or as subhuman.

People who view Aboriginals as equals, are called 'woke' and dismissed as virtue signalling.
People who view Aboriginals as subhuman will call out 'white' people as 'Not-Aboriginal-Enough'.

'Not-Aboriginal-Enough' is them literally outing themselves as racists by saying 'if you aren't dark enough, we don't consider you subhuman'. But insisting that it isn't about skin colour.

At some point we need to recognise the racism that is a basis of Australian values. And we need to work towards making the rejection of it our base, rather than pretending it doesn't exist.
Don’t agree with you at all cm but that quote has me rolling

There is an obvious gap of understanding between people who support Aboriginal people, and people who oppose Aboriginal people.

People who view Aboriginals as equals, are called 'woke' and dismissed as virtue signalling.
People who view Aboriginals as subhuman will call out 'white' people as 'Not-Aboriginal-Enough'.

'Not-Aboriginal-Enough' is them literally outing themselves as racists by saying 'if you aren't dark enough, we don't consider you subhuman'. But insisting that it isn't about skin colour.

At some point we need to recognise the racism that is a basis of Australian values. And we need to work towards making the rejection of it our base, rather than pretending it doesn't exist.
Both parties aren't interested indigenous issues

Why is my quote altered and your reply have zero to do with my post?

Feel free to engage with any of the above points.

As we all know you wont, here's a gif you can get triggered about instead!

there is no need to be upset GIF
Where did I say indigenous Australians were lazy?

Both parties aren't interested indigenous issues
Yes we recently witnessed how both the Nats and the Libs saw the chance for the cheapest of cheap political wins and grabbed it with both hands without a care in the world for anything but their own specific self interest.

"Many reasons..."

I'll ask again what's your position on why Aboriginal people ALL ACROSS AUSTRALIA (from remote communities to Melbourne and Sydney) have the worst outcomes of average in terms of educational outcomes??

View attachment 1896703

View attachment 1896705
“This”

Was in response to

“If you want to fix the inequalities, some responsibility needs to be taken too.”

I’ve answered your question

When I did my aboriginal corporate discussion it struck me that aboriginals live in one of two modes usually.

One is in remote communities with little access to employment, where aboriginals are pretty much the overwhelming majority

The other is in cities where you are least likely to find employment where there is plenty of it. And you are very much a minority

Either situation seems like a tough gig

When I did my aboriginal corporate discussion it struck me that aboriginals live in one of two modes usually.

One is in remote communities with little access to employment, where aboriginals are pretty much the overwhelming majority

The other is in cities where you are least likely to find employment where there is plenty of it. And you are very much a minority

Either situation seems like a tough gig
When I was a teenager my folks who are churchies sent me on a mission trip to a remote community in the NT called Wutunugurra I spent 3 weeks in the community helping to build a community centre and upgrade the School

It was definitely an eye opening and one of the defining experiences of my life and met some of the most wonderful people I have in my life and opened my eyes to reality’s of living in a remote community and even how some of the projects designed to help “modernise” some of the housing in the community were done without proper consultation

An example was that the state had upgraded all of the stoves/ovens from wood burning to electric (sounds like a great idea) but the issue was the wood burning stoves were also the main source of heat for the home at night when inside when temps dropped

What happened was the residents burning out all the heating elements in the ovens pretty quickly plus a surge in electricity costs after a month or so the ovens were all scrapped by homeowners and they just put stoves back in

The residents are also subjected to price gouging for essential supplies by the local shop owners (only shop within 100’s of kms (owned by a white person mind you) who also illegally sold alcohol under the table to what was a dry community

It’s interesting that on reflection as I’ve gotten older how although the forced modernisation of these communities has done some amazing good (education, healthcare and opportunity) most of the main issues in these communities are directly resulted from that same modernisation Family violence from alcohol abuse, drug and alcohol issues and also crime that is generally committed to fuel those addictions to things that wouldn’t be in these communities without a western influence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

justifying every bad act as the result of some form of trauma.
Nobody is justifying bad acts.

"Blame" and "consequences" aren't the same thing.

Blame looks at moral responsibility for the act. Consequences flow from the act.

So the moral responsibility for the conditions in which a person lives or grew up might be shared, while consequences often aren't.

It's easier to neglect a child than it is to be that child trying to escape the consequences of that neglect.

Yet the adult that emerged after being neglected as a child is seen by many as morally responsible for every negative or bad act, and many believe they should shoulder all of the consequences.

It seems like there is a void if the person is absolved of some of the consequences - a lesser sentence or free mental health services are seen as cheating, when all it is is the neglectful or abusive parent not shouldering the balance of consequences.

Though, the parents or carers probably have been subject to the neglect or mistreatment themselves. It's complicated and I'm not an expert.

Last edited:
A family member of mine is currently living in the NT. While not having visited the NT myself, I have no reason to think this family member is lying.

I was told that over half the Aboriginal children attending the same primary school as my family members children are absent on a frequent basis.

At some point you have to blame the parents, even if they're black. I think it's unhelpful to blame white people for every issue that Aboriginals deal with.
I have posted about this many, many times but this is how it is where I live only 3 hours drive from Perth. Like it even gets as bad as young children in the early prmary school years with single digit % attendance levels. It does also happen with non indigenous children as well though.

How are you supposed to have a fighting chance in life if you dont even learn how to read and write? Breaks my heart when you know them and there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't do very well at school but simply aren't being given the opportunity by their parents.

Why do you think that is?

Do you think it's something inherent to Aboriginal people? Genetic?

Or

Do you think it might possibly be connected to generational systemic inequality and trauma?
Many aboriginal kids in NT schools have English as a second or third language and are expected to respond as if its their first language. Certainly things are better than they were at the turn of the century on that front but still not really good.

Why do you think that is?

Do you think it's something inherent to Aboriginal people? Genetic?

Or

Do you think it might possibly be connected to generational systemic inequality and trauma?
A heads up on this. The Final Report of the Productivity Commission's Report into progress in meeting the the Closing the Gap Targets has is to be publicly released next week.

Anyone really interested in getting a facts based insight into what's working, what's not working and why should check it out.

I have posted about this many, many times but this is how it is where I live only 3 hours drive from Perth. Like it even gets as bad as young children in the early prmary school years with single digit % attendance levels. It does also happen with non indigenous children as well though.

How are you supposed to have a fighting chance in life if you dont even learn how to read and write? Breaks my heart when you know them and there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't do very well at school but simply aren't being given the opportunity by their parents.
I used to work at a local Subway and I had a group of kids religiously come in during school hours. I asked a couple of times why they weren't at school but it was pretty clear they were given free reign to do as they like. It's sad to see.

Personally I think there’s nobody to blame for neglectful parenting other than the neglectful parent.
Yes, because everything happens in a vacuum, right?

Maybe try reading Chief 's post again, this time with comprehension.

Nobody is justifying bad acts.

"Blame" and "consequences" aren't the same thing.

Blame looks at moral responsibility for the act. Consequences flow from the act.

So the moral responsibility for the conditions in which a person lives or grew up might be shared, while consequences often aren't.

It's easier to neglect a child than it is to be that child trying to escape the consequences of that neglect.

Yet the adult that emerged after being neglected as a child is seen by many as morally responsible for every negative or bad act, and many believe they should shoulder all of the consequences.

It seems like there is a void if the person is absolved of some of the consequences - a lesser sentence or free mental health services are seen as cheating, when all it is is the neglectful or abusive parent not shouldering the balance of consequences.

Though, the parents or carers probably have been subject to the neglect or mistreatment themselves. It's complicated and I'm not an expert.

Yes, because everything happens in a vacuum, right?

Maybe try reading Chief 's post again, this time with comprehension.
Do those comments extend to sexual abuse of children, because the parents were abused too? Or are we just letting neglectful parents of the hook (a bit)?

Do those comments extend to sexual abuse of children, because the parents were abused too? Or are we just letting neglectful parents of the hook (a bit)?
What? The cycle that some Aboriginal families are in has great deal to do with how they were treated for a long period of time.

Unfortunately, the change the date crowd don't have any ideas of how to break it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back