MRP / Trib. Jeremy Finlayson incident

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't a reprimand and a suspension be a major wake-up call for the offender? Not sure why he then needs classes as well.

I recall only a decade ago people complaining after Lumumba was given a (supposedly unwarranted) 50m penalty after Stephen Milne called him a "homo".

By all means stamp out such language from the game, but given the Clarko non decision and the immediate admission and remorse shown by Finlayson, surely a fine and a warning would have sufficed. Along with a "BTW, in the future any such language will result in 3 weeks off" warning statement to the league at large.

And his home attacked with rocks 😡
That seems a bit nuts, especially after he apologised. He knows he said the wrong thing and isn't making up excuses etc - was a dumb thing to do, and he knows it. Surprising that a professional football player would do it, and he has paid a stiff penalty.

I'm not a minority group that is usually attacked, so I can't imagine what it would be like.

As i said:
A fine and a warning was all that was required.
Just have a think as to what that word means to teens/kids coming to terms with who they are.

Its not about the gay community adults , not all take offense, like myself. Its more so those teens trying to come to terms with coming out and if its accepted of who they are. Words/slurs are pretty powerful and damaging to kids

My point really is - end of the year, let’s say it happens in finals, bigger VIC club, bigger name, no way it’s 3 weeks and missing a GF.
The league that let's Barry Hall play a GF will find a way.

It's taken 5 days to come to this and announce to the football world you will all be in "Dire Straits" if you say the same words again on a footy field. They got the Clarko incident wrong and Finlayson's career is now practically over. It's doubtful he will get over this. What a mess.

Why do you believe this?
I don't believe it, i just think it will be extremely difficult for him to return to playing again without this hanging over his head for the entire year. The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion and the media have destroyed him, plus there are stories of attacks on his house and family. He said the wrong thing, he owned up to it and apologised, but was it a capital offence? This was nothing more than a fine and warning, but Finlayson isn't Alistair Clarkson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL at it's very best again.

Would love to know what the outcome would have been if he was wearing a Collingwood jumper.

And the media nearly as bad, only a few had the balls to say Clarko should have been suspended but as as soon as it's an interstate player the boots go straight in.

Just have a think as to what that word means to teens/kids coming to terms with who they are.

Its not about the gay community adults , not all take offense, like myself. Its more so those teens trying to come to terms with coming out and if its accepted of who they are. Words/slurs are pretty powerful and damaging to kids
I am surprised these words still exist

It's taken 5 days to come to this and announce to the football world you will all be in "Dire Straits" if you say the same words again on a footy field. They got the Clarko incident wrong and Finlayson's career is now practically over. It's doubtful he will get over this. What a mess.
Walker was able to get over what he did

I just heard that Clarko lobbed a similar word at a practice match and was warned. WTF??
One rule for all please!!

Feels like JC got the wrong end of a pineapple here
Nope. AFL got the Clarkson call wrong, not the Finlayson one.

Should have used the right terminology, bundle of twigs.
That's if he said what I think he said of course.

Seriously though when are players going to learn.
What may be acceptable around your mates in your own time is one thing but once you are on the footy field you are in the AFL realm and these things are so a no go zone.
If it's acceptable to your mates, I would be looking for new mates.

Clarkos 8th incident or something? Nah it was ‘poor old North’ VIC biased mentality.

Laura Kane was involved in setting both penalties. I expect Ms Kane if she has a concern for ethics to stand down from any future decisions regarding nmfc and it’s staff and players.

Given she was still at nmfc during the bitter mover of JHF, perhaps she should also stand down from decisions involving Port.

To be fair Finlayson immediately copped his penalty as fair.

Good on the AFLPA for asking some questions about the difference in penalty for players and officials. Clarkson should have got 4 weeks with a further 2 suspended.

Last edited:
Ok. What did Clarkson say? And what did Finlayson say?

I’d like to know what AC said.
He used the c word for people who enjoy a nice cold serve of that Italian treat "fell-ahh-tio".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back