Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is there's so much hate in the world.

Against gays.. blacks.. Muslims... And so on..

What we don't need is an AFL football player saying s**t like this... Because it is not ok.. and young Timmy who loves Finlayson doesn't need to then go to school Monday thinking it's cool to say this s**t. Cos it isn't.

******* tampon world. Remember when Milne said to Brett Ebert "how did that head fit out of your mother's campaigner?" And all the players had a laugh about it? It's called banter.

I remember when you copped it as a player and gave it back in the reverse fixture. The way this has been blown up is absolutely ridiculous.

It's a feeling hurter, it's not anything that's going to ruin a person's life. It's not insulting a dead relative. You apologise and move on.

Where will the line be towed? Soon we'll go to jail for insulting someone. Think about the s**t you hear at the footy every time you go and you think this is bad. Unbelievable in my opinion.

It’s pretty straight forward, though.

You can call someone pretty much anything on the field as long as it’s not racist or homophobic.

If Finlayson had said “you’re a dumb c**t who sucks off donkeys” he’s not facing a fine/ban, is he?

No, but he does run the risk of alienating our donkey supporters.

******* tampon world. Remember when Milne said to Brett Ebert "how did that head fit out of your mother's campaigner?" And all the players had a laugh about it? It's called banter.

I remember when you copped it as a player and gave it back in the reverse fixture. The way this has been blown up is absolutely ridiculous.

It's a feeling hurter, it's not anything that's going to ruin a person's life. It's not insulting a dead relative. You apologise and move on.

Where will the line be towed? Soon we'll go to jail for insulting someone. Think about the s**t you hear at the footy every time you go and you think this is bad. Unbelievable in my opinion.
Literally nothing you just posted about is any form of bigotry toward a traditionally repressed and excluded group of people...

So, in short, not comparable.

No one is saying players can't banter and attempt to rile each other up. Just don't use racism or homophobia, or bringing in people's health or their families.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Literally nothing you just posted about is any form of bigotry toward a traditionally repressed and excluded group of people...

No one is saying players can't banter and attempt to rile each other up. Just don't use racism or homophobia, or bringing in people's health or their families.

The example I used with Ebert references family and Ebert's mother's vagina. It's not directly comparable but it's involving family which is also considered 'off limits'.

Jez has come clean and is absolutely getting torched left right and centre, how is that encouraging for any culprit to want to come clean in future? If anything, this sort of incident will happen in the same way because of how this is being handled. It'll cause more divide.

Im of greek heritage and I literally still get called a wog campaigner to this day from time to time. My family migrated here and copped s**t yet still integrated into Australian society and culture. You adapt and overcome, through that is where awareness is raised on topics of vilification.

If you're comfortable in your own skin, it shouldn't bother you. Jeremy's an adult and if he wants to insult in that way, he's entitled to. It just means he's potentially a s**t campaigner.

The example I used with Ebert references family and Ebert's mother's vagina. It's not directly comparable but it's involving family which is also considered 'off limits'.

Jez has come clean and is absolutely getting torched left right and centre, how is that encouraging for any culprit to want to come clean in future? If anything, this sort of incident will happen in the same way because of how this is being handled. It'll cause more divide.

Im of greek heritage and I literally still get called a wog campaigner to this day from time to time. My family migrated here and copped s**t yet still integrated into Australian society and culture. You adapt and overcome, through that is where awareness is raised on topics of vilification.

If you're comfortable in your own skin, it shouldn't bother you. Jeremy's an adult and if he wants to insult in that way, he's entitled to. It just means he's potentially a s**t campaigner.

Were greeks in Australia ever considered illegal and lower class of person? Did cops and members of society ever go on greek bashing and greek murdering for kicks? I mean yeah maybe some did and shows like Kingswood Country wouldn't have helped but definitely not like hate crimes toward gays.

I'm sorry you experienced racism and glad you and your family overcame it, but gay men and Aboriginal people are two groups that systematically and socially suffered maybe more than any others in recent Australian history.

As for Ebert's mum, she wasn't insulted. Matter of fact it sounded like she was being sympathised with. I don't have issues with that remark.

What’s tolerable? Where does it end?

Religion is okay? Can someone say to. Jewish player you f’in Zionist freak? NO

What if a player was offended by being told to go F&$! Himself?

Or a player snips a player and a team mate comes in to help and calls him a dog c!@$. This is deemed offensive by the player?

Also in America the N word is used between black people, so it’s acceptable between each other but if another race of player hears it and uses it, it then becomes racist?

Was the Essendon player Gay and took offence? Or was he straight and took offence to be labelled with a derogatory term used towards gay people? Does that make this person homophobic also?

Ultimately sledging of any form is basically dead in the water? Whether it’s right or wrong, it’s a new generation, raised differently to different cultural norms.

Us yesteryear folk need to accept its different and kids and young adults are raised differently. All in will observe, whilst mutual respect and intolerance to inappropriate behaviour is understandable, the new generation coming through is losing one character trait needed in life, resilience.

Anyho, good debating. There’s a lot of posters on this site however I would argue are being hypocrites in here and a framing and derogatory in their written behaviour to other posters. So perhaps certain people need to reflect on their stance here and their own posting behaviours!

Calling somebody a f** on a footy field was the lead story on Ch 7 news tonight. I mean seriously? Now Finlayson need re education. Hilarious. We need a recession or a war or something.
Neither are far away. Problem is the two current wars are old news, only fashionable for 15-30 days of media attention until the next hot disaster, scandal or end of world message needs to be run.

This ismt a high bump

It's bigoted and possibly even targeted slander (for all we know)

Don't try and pretend they're the same thing
You are right. Lets keep increasing the penalty for bigoted slurs, even those that are promptly apologised for, based on whether that decreases their use in the general community. Keep increasing the penalty until it has been stamped out in the community, or players are being hung drawn and quartered.

The AFL is like any workplace, and people know what is right and wrong to say. Jez said the wrong thing, he has owned it, and he has faced up to it.

I think the difference between this one, and all the racial vilification cases in the past, is that quite possibly, the player he abused, is not gay. There is the potential that the player is, and this then goes to another level. Really it is about the victim and the potential damage a comment like this could make.

Generally I think it is pretty poor form by the AFL, how quickly this is in the open media, in terms of protecting the victim (if they actually identify). The AFL should be quicker in tidying this up. And if this news was leaked by the Broadcasters, then they should be investigated, and jobs lost.

look at all the cupcakes in this thread trying to excuse a homophobic slur; that shouldn't be used on the footy field, in greater society, or even amongst "my close buddies"

it's been wrong for decades

even the offender admitted immediately it was wrong

stop trying to defend it farken

I can’t fathom why Finalyson with one strike would deserve anything more than a smallish fine and suspended one game ban when the recent test case was Clarkson on the back of decades of quite serious and very public misdemeanors and all he copped was a fine and suspended 2 game sentence. You are deluded if you think Finlayson deserves a suspension, and if he suspended, it’s more outrageous than the word he used due to the horrendous inconsistency (bias).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one can deny its a race to the bottom of banning everything for all time because reasons and everyone is a hypocrite etc. Etc., but the slur in question here is really on the same platform as the N word, but for gay people. Its a bad one.

I hate how far its going, but there are quite a few that genuinely should be stamped out.
Do not ever compare a racial slur to a homophobic slur ever again. Absolutely ridiculous take.

Do not ever compare a racial slur to a homophobic slur ever again. Absolutely ridiculous take.
yeah sure, besides them both marginalising groups of people and both linked to lynching and dehumanization, not similar at all. No parallels whatsoever.

My people were raped and tortured under ottoman rule for 400 years but God forbid if they insulted me on my sexual preferences during that time.
Yeah and gay people are currently being thrown off buildings and stoned to death, what of it? There are no winners in this and both are subjected to the worst humanity has to offer. Again, yes, the paralells are pretty ******* clear.

You are exposing your lack of knowledge on the other side of topic here.

In fact, if what you are saying is your situation then you of all people should be mindful of this.

And gays were being murdered by police during the era of Jack Cahill and Russel Ebert for nothing more than the crime of being gay.

In the time of Geoff Motley they were being sent to to concentration camps and executed.

Even the ones who were heroic figures with the allies were still castrated and driven to suicide.

All of this without even touching on places in the middle east or Africa or eastern Europe.

Lastly, importantly, there's never been an open homosexual footballer.

The Greeks have been welcome to play footy since forever.

And gays were being murdered by police during the era of Jack Cahill and Russel Ebert for nothing more than the crime of being gay.

In the time of Geoff Motley they were being sent to to concentration camps and executed.

Even the ones who were heroic figures with the allies were still castrated and driven to suicide.

All of this without even touching on places in the middle east or Africa or eastern Europe.

Lastly, importantly, there's never been an open homosexual footballer.

The Greeks have been welcome to play footy since forever.

Were you trying to make a joke at the end there?

Those calling for games must believe this is the first time anything like this has ever been said, which I find very hard to believe. I get that it was wrong but why does the line always seem to be drawn in the sand for one of our players mistakes. Games for something like this in the past I can’t actually recall and was anyone actually offended by it, or is it just a big song a dance because it was one of the times something like this actually got picked up on the umps mic.

As for a club imposed ban? Why? If the afl don’t see fit to suspend him then why should the club.

Finlayson started to hit form and we need him out there. And this may sound insensitive but I’m very much in the we exist to win premiership mould and quite frankly don’t care much about making the community proud.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Christ almighty can you not see the contextual difference and also relate it to representation in footy?

Don’t worry, This goes far beyond footy and you know it, We’re even bringing up gay persecution in the Middle East, What’s that got to do with footy? How’s that relevant to footy? This whole thread is a circus

Don’t worry, This goes far beyond footy and you know it, We’re even bringing up gay persecution in the Middle East, What’s that got to do with footy? How’s that relevant to footy? This whole thread is a circus
Clearly, with the amount of clowns around.

Racism has it's complexities whereas homophobia is solely on the sexual orientation of the individual.

What does this even mean?

It's about a history of people being subjugated and killed because of who they are. Gay people have been getting killed for who they are in places all over the world as long as black people have, it's just that gay people were able to hide their homosexuality to avoid being murdered for it.

Look, if there's a scale, the N word would have been a worse thing to say than the F slur, but it's all irrelevant, because absolutely everyone in the country knows it's not an acceptable word to say. You can argue that there's a sliding scale of derogatory language, but nobody for 20 years would have argued in earnest that the F slur is acceptable on an AFL footy field. If a Crows player said it we'd be gleefully discussing their poor culture, and the club being weak on this an excusing Finlayson's conduct, contrite or not, opens the door for them to do that to us.

I think the AFL will give him a ban and I think that should be the standard. We could show ourselves as leaders in this field and support the gay people at our club by being strong on this issue, suspending Finlayson and educating him on his behaviour, but as usual we've been weak because we have weak leadership.

People have gotta relax, Gay marriage got voted in by Australians, They’ll be alright regardless of a few little slurs being thrown around. Australia ain’t gonna suddenly turn Hitler on gays in 2024 or ever

Well done mate, I guess if we're not forcing them into concentration camps it's all tickety boo and we can move on, right?

Not a single AFL player has come out as gay during their career in the history of the league. Do you genuinely believe none of them are gay? Why do you think they don't feel comfortable coming out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back